Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, yoda said:

NOT saying this will be like it... but didn't commutageddon have temps at 34 or so?

8 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

pretty much all day before the flip

I believe Commutageddon (Jan. 26, 2011) was close to that for temperatures...it was *just* above freezing through the event and shortly after, but it snowed like a bat out of hell for about 5-6 hours in the early-mid evening on the 26th (I got ~8" in that 5 hour period where I'm at, plus a power outage!).  Before that main part, there was some snow in the very early morning that gave some places a couple of quick inches...then it was more or less cold drizzle/light rain much of the rest of that day before we got pasted later on.  Rain followed by chunks of ice, followed by huge-ass missile-sized flakes pounding down.

ETA:  As was stated above, it was also quite a bit colder leading into that event.  We weren't coming out of the mid 60s.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The saving grace is that one tick colder and we're talking about a big deal around here. I think it's imperative the warm trend is halted by 0z tonight. We have no room to spare here in DC. 

With the dynamics models are now showing, your idea might not be too farfetched.

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This thread is awful.  It should be closed and another started....without the off topic stuff.  It's unusual for me to say something like that, but when this discussion went from the storm to which group of posters would have their panties in a wad it convinced me that we need to start over.

Oh just stop it.  Enough.  Do I need to go back and find all your "how we lookin?" type posts that can be found at times in other instances?  

EVERYONE craps up a thread.  The LR one had tons of talk about old storms from 1979.  Storm mode hasn't been kicked in so rigid clamping down on BS posts hasn't happened.  

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

All guidance that was SE prior to 12z has moved NW now. OTOH- precip totals spiked pretty good. All in all I'm less enthused than this time yesterday though. My gut is telling me the only way things can trend is for the worse. 

This is very much a situation where knowing climo and some common weather sense applies. Barring a major shift colder on the guidance (like showing D.C with sub 30 surface temps with precip falling), I wouldn't predict more than 1" on grass for inside the beltway or points south. Maybe 1-2" for you and I and then 2-6" for Mt. mappypsulosetoa which even there will be elevation dependent. Only thing holding me back from only expecting cold rain and rooting for those daytime snow showers on Thursday is the euro. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Maybe, but I always lean fail if we're relying on any of the following 

Rates

Ratios

Marginal temps 

Thundersnow

South trend 

We're relying on how many here?

To get a decent event we'd need the cold press to be stronger than modeled, which is effectively a south trend, and rates.  Both of things have a habit of not materializing in DC.  This is a northern crew event.  

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Indeed it was.  Not a perfect comparison here other than the potential for quick hitting paste job.  The dynamics of Commutageddon were off the charts.

wasn't that a closed off 500mb bowling ball?  obviously this is not...its a well placed, dynamic, and precip laden low that has no real cold to work with. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

All guidance that was SE prior to 12z has moved NW now. OTOH- precip totals spiked pretty good. All in all I'm less enthused than this time yesterday though. My gut is telling me the only way things can trend is for the worse. 

Agreed. No room for even a slight negative trend now for I-95 and east. As it stands it will be dicey for accumulating snow. With a deepening low, need some good ccb action for a few hours with the cold air in at the surface. Probably favors areas more N and NE. This should be a nice event up in the hinterlands of Carroll county.

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

These things tend to adjust until gametime, and past experience says the trend tends to continue.  In March 2014 one of these wave boundary type things trended south and kept going right until gametime.  Vice Versa in early Feb 2014 it kept bleeding north right until the last minute.  I have some hope we end up north of the boundary up here but even here I am very worried that it continues to creep north in the next 24 hours.  

6 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

This winter has really beat you down . :(

Nah, I will always be objective. It's not looking good for my yard. I won't wear weenie glasses and dismiss the reality. I know how these things can work well or notsomuch. The trend today was unanimously in favor of notsomuch. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Nah, I will always be objective. It's not looking good for my yard. I won't wear weenie glasses and dismiss the reality. I know how these things can work well or notsomuch. The trend today was unanimously in favor of notsomuch. 

Montgomery county is going to see a crazy gradient given the trends on guidance today. Areas down near you might be 1-2" at most while Germantown to the north will be 3-5" with highest over Pars Ridge and Damascus. I would kill for just a 20 mile shift south at this rate to get everyone into NoVa and southern half of the county feeling a bit more comfortable. 

10 minutes ago, H2O said:

Oh just stop it.  Enough.  Do I need to go back and find all your "how we lookin?" type posts that can be found at times in other instances?  

EVERYONE craps up a thread.  The LR one had tons of talk about old storms from 1979.  Storm mode hasn't been kicked in so rigid clamping down on BS posts hasn't happened.  

You know, you really are terrible at this.

Archived