Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Cold Rain Event

yoda

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I was looking at 850mb and couldn't really find the culprit to it. You can see the temps were certainly a touch warmer south of I-70, but as much a few degrees warmer up in NMD and into PA. The wind component actually decreased from the south as well into the area. 925's were a bit colder overall too. Quite odd and not a bad run. That 1-2 degree difference is going to be crazy for many in here. 

It's going to be the key between meh and 6" of fun.  The 00z sounding from PIT and IAD tomorrow will be YUGE.  

1 minute ago, BTRWx said:

Good time to promote the Storm of the Century documentary shared a couple days ago.  It did just that!

I can't speak for this location, but temps weren't anywhere near 70 degrees in the days leading up to that storm in swva.  As a matter of fact, I distinctly remember it being near 40 on the Thursday before.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I can't speak for this location, but temps weren't anywhere near 70 degrees in the days leading up to that storm in swva.  As a matter of fact, I distinctly remember it being near 40 on the Thursday before.

Wunderground has dca at 59, so not quite 70 up here

13 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I do recall a couple of times in 2014 when we had some warm days followed by snow.  Just did a quick check on the daily/monthly records on LWX's site and indeed, we had a max temp of 60 and 70 degrees on the 2 days preceding the St. Patrick's Day snow (at DCA).  And in January that year, it was in the upper 50s on the 20th, followed by snow on the 21st (though not as significant as the St. Pat's event).

ETA:  To be sure, it was quite cold in the early part March 2014, followed by some very warm days, then the big snow St. Pat's Day.  For the event coming, we haven't exactly had much of any cold prior to it.

That is interesting thanks for the info. I can remember mid 60's before snow storms from the past for sure. But I am sitting at 72 degrees right now. I have to think that would be a first for my area.

1 minute ago, high risk said:

that 3km NAM outcome is pretty interesting, even if we chop down the generic 10:1 ratios applied on those maps.

keep in mind that this is the next version of the NAM nest that will be implemented in March.

whats it show? wxbell not out yet. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

That is interesting thanks for the info. I can remember mid 60's before snow storms from the past for sure. But I am sitting at 72 degrees right now. I have to think that would be a first for my area.

Wasn't last years storm warm the day before? Might have just been upper 50s, or I might be misremembering completely. 

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

that 3km NAM outcome is pretty interesting, even if we chop down the generic 10:1 ratios applied on those maps.

keep in mind that this is the next version of the NAM nest that will be implemented in March.

It attempts to be much more precise with the unique banding in certain areas. Very interesting. 10:1 ratios are still on the light side tho, imo

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Wasn't last years storm warm the day before? Might have just been upper 50s, or I might be misremembering completely. 

You mean the blizzard last year?  No, it was quite cold the entire week leading into it, including a "mini-Commutageddon" light snow event from a Clipper 2 days prior.

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

From my memory, I think warm days 5 days prior are more common than under 72 hrs.

*let's distract the northerners any way we can* :devilsmiley:

Kidding, I'll turn my banter switch off

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

You mean the blizzard last year?  No, it was quite cold the entire week leading into it, including a "mini-Commutageddon" light snow even from a Clipper 2 days prior.

Can't figure out what I'm remembering! Thought there was some big debate last year about temps and big storms, maybe it was two years ago then.

Obviously it doesn't stop a storm from happening, but 70 the day before might screw with the 4m soil temp.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Can't figure out what I'm remembering! Thought there was some big debate last year about temps and big storms, maybe it was two years ago then.

Obviously it doesn't stop a storm from happening, but 70 the day before might screw with the 4m soil temp.

Yeah, maybe from a couple of years ago or something.  But the thing is in the current situation, we've been almost completely devoid of any real cold air for some time; it's been well above normal pretty consistently most days.  Would be perhaps different if it was very cold for a week, then a couple of days of 60-70, then a storm.  But we haven't even had that.

Archived