Newest Member
    joxey
1/5/17 to 1/8/17 Obs Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, MidlothianWX said:

8.0" on the nose here in Richmond. It was a little hard to measure with all the drifting. All in all another great event here - we've been lucky the past few seasons.

5Bhmqe6.jpg

SisLMAy.jpg

6RuKTKU.jpg

q2JXWdi.jpg

All you Richmond people do is beat your chests with your incredible run the last few years.  It's like you don't even care about the heartache it causes.  DC people can't help it if they suck at snow.  You should be more modest.  It's a bad look Jake.

For those of you who don't mind Nizol on TWC, he makes a very interesting point regarding heating during daylight. The process apparently occurs at any temperatures. Bottom line is we absolutely need snowfall overnight for the best results!

Started out this morning for Cambridge. Left the house a bit after 7a. Didn't really hit snow covered roads til just west of Easton. From there to Cambridge 50 was crap. Saw a decent number of accidents along the way. Snow seemed heavily rimed at times. Snow was steady mod in Cambridge while there. Came back west on 50 early afternoon and hit the bay bridge just as the last heavy band came through. Fun driving! Easton seemed to be the western extent of decent accums.

41 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Made it to the OC shore and sitting in an upstairs bar watching the snow fall. 10'sh inches but that's a guess. Coming down hard and very windy, so who know?

Good times!

I had a very good friend of mine at Evo the exact same time you were there. Sent him your OBS pictures.  He said you he thought you were at the end of the bar? You left before he had chance to come over and say Scraff (Scott) says hi. I had asked him to do it.  Anyway--look forward to seeing some OC pictures. You should hit Burley Oak Brewing in Berlin tomorrow on your way out of town. Cheers! :-)

Looks like I ended up with a third of an inch. Looks very Currier and Ives outside. Its cold and none of it melted lol.

Sure, this is a bust of sorts, but it really isnt all that bad, models painted a nice 2 inch stripe over us for this storm. You want a stinging bust? This aint it. I'll tell ya what a BUST is. A BUST is when you have winter storm warnings for a couple feet of snow and the next day it dawns clear with not a cloud in the sky.

THATS A BUST.

I forget what year that was, 2001 or something like that. Now THAT, was one hell of a bust. It hurt for weeks. I wished I was dead.

This is going to be a snowy winter. We are going to get PLASTERED. We are going to get ours, and when we do, we'll be digging snow for days and days.

Looks like I ended up with a third of an inch. Looks very Currier and Ives outside. Its cold and none of it melted lol.

Sure, this is a bust of sorts, but it really isnt all that bad, models painted a nice 2 inch stripe over us for this storm. You want a stinging bust? This aint it. I'll tell ya what a BUST is. A BUST is when you have winter storm warnings for a couple feet of snow and the next day it dawns clear with not a cloud in the sky.

THATS A BUST.

I forget what year that was, 2001 or something like that. Now THAT, was one hell of a bust. It hurt for weeks. I wished I was dead.

This is going to be a snowy winter. We are going to get PLASTERED. We are going to get ours, and when we do, we'll be digging snow for days and days.

Now March, 2001 is a bust.

Also, the Millenial Storm, December 2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

THATS A BUST.

What did Norfolk get exactly? They're somewhat close to bust criteria I believe.

1 hour ago, MidlothianWX said:

8.0" on the nose here in Richmond. It was a little hard to measure with all the drifting. All in all another great event here - we've been lucky the past few seasons.

5Bhmqe6.jpg

SisLMAy.jpg

6RuKTKU.jpg

q2JXWdi.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS on the snow!

Get out there and enjoy a long jebwalk! Dig snow until your arms fall off lol. Make sure you pile it up on the north side of every sun-blocking structure you can find. Dont worry about what ppl think - pile that snow up and pack it down! Crank up the headphones to 130 decibels! You are making lifetime memories! Associate this snow with every song you love! Start a massive snowball fight, and escalate it to a mock Civil War! Get EVERYONE involved! Have fun, and enjoy that snow! Don't forget to sneak outside at 3am and roll around in it while everyone else is fast asleep. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The Arlington Department of Emergency Services is claiming 3" fell somewhere in the northern part of the county. Making me question my measurements, haha. I might revise my totals based on reports.

I also just want to inflate the stats like a weenie.

Absolutely no way.

6 minutes ago, Jebman said:

CONGRATULATIONS on the snow!

Get out there and enjoy a long jebwalk! Dig snow until your arms fall off lol. Make sure you pile it up on the north side of every sun-blocking structure you can find. Dont worry about what ppl think - pile that snow up and pack it down! Crank up the headphones to 130 decibels! You are making lifetime memories! Associate this snow with every song you love! Start a massive snowball fight, and escalate it to a mock Civil War! Get EVERYONE involved! Have fun, and enjoy that snow! Don't forget to sneak outside at 3am and roll around in it while everyone else is fast asleep. 

We should try to import enough snow to cover all asphalt in the District just to see what happens..."urban freeze island" :P

A couple of observations about the 5th thru the 8th:

- It was tough watching the snow come down 10 miles to my north for hours Thursday night.  Not used to that here in Clarksburg.

- The high on Thursday leading up to the snow in the evening was 28.9F and the ground was crunchy on top when the snow started.  Thurs night, the low was 18.1F and the high was 24.8F on Friday with mostly cloudy skies and a low sun angle.  It was weird to see the little bit of snow on the ground melt from underneath.  Even the sidewalk had standing water in a shady area with temps in the low to mid 20's.  

- I've decided that I like 0.4" of sleet better than 0.6" of snow spread out over a couple of days.  Sleet has real staying power.  I had piles of it still laying around on Christmas day after it fell on the 18th.

- It was equally tough watching the vigorous band form just to the south today.  Again, not used to that up here, especially on a developing coastal.

- My DP never went above 12F at any part of the storm today, even during the heaviest snow.  Temps ranged from 18.1F to 24.1F as the waves of snow moved through between 7am and 1pm.  A strengthening high to the north is a killer unless the coastal is wrapping up to get the CCB going...

- As soon as the winds switched to the NW as the storm was pulling away and dews dropped (to 5F), the 0.3" of snow today started sublimating like crazy.  No sun, temps in the low 20's and half of the snow was gone by dark.

That's it for now.  Interesting weather the last few days, even if I missed out on lots of snow.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived