• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
MN Transplant

1/5/17 to 1/8/17 Obs Thread

LWX's radar lighting up over CHO, but they are still sitting at 34/12.  Going to be a bit of a process today.  The NAM was pretty good with this over the past few days, showing some weak reflectivity over the area, but no accumulation during the bulk of the day.

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

LWX's radar lighting up over CHO, but they are still sitting at 34/12.  Going to be a bit of a process today.  The NAM was pretty good with this over the past few days, showing some weak reflectivity over the area, but no accumulation during the bulk of the day.

It's all virga I assure you. Heavy, low clouds... no precip at all.

38 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

In the least surprising move ever, the NAM came in a bit juicy.  Maybe 0.15" or so for the airports, bit more to the north.

I like that we were NAM'd lol... perhaps a chance for a period of mod snow between 9 and midnight?

21 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Seeing some flakes, very small, about 4 per minute, lol, around Springfield area. 

Thats actually a good sign that the atmosphere saturated pretty fast down there. Now lets get the returns over all of us.

OK, I have VERY small snowflakes drifting down (almost countable) with 20-25 dbz (base) over me and the sky has gotten that hazy look before it starts snowing harder....maybe? We shall see. 30.5/15.8 If it is gonna take that much in upper to overcome the dry air we are in for quite a fight.

Pretty nice bufkit look for the Westminster area on both the RAP and the HRRR. Average snowfall ratios around 13-14:1 with a max around 19:1 during peak this evening via the RAP. Snow growth looks alright for this sort of event. Nothing stellar, but certainly better than some events around here. General 2-3" between each model run. Looking good for folks north of I-70. South of that looks decent too from what I can see. This looks like a decent little event shaping up. 

Currently in Severna Park, MD

Cloudy with wind out of the west at 6mph

Temp 33.0 Degrees

Dew-point: 11 Degrees

Humidity 38%

Barometer: 30.07 inches

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Where's that hrrr snow map someone posted?  Is that in the other thread?

Yeah. I believe so. It's probably buried now with the all the posts since the 12z runs came in. Still looks good out by your neck of the woods on the latest run. 3" or so.