Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/5/17 to 1/8/17 Obs Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

The visible sat is confirming the reports of sunshine to our west, but to me it appears to be a very thin strip of clearing... the question is whether its indicative of the mountains drying up the system... 

My only concern was not seeing too much gom influence, on the radar at least.  Downsloping is a beast.  Usually need an energetic system.  Will know later if this thing survives and has enough moisture to lay down 1-2" here.

13 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

The visible sat is confirming the reports of sunshine to our west, but to me it appears to be a very thin strip of clearing... the question is whether its indicative of the mountains drying up the system... 

It looks to me like the system isn't even to the mountains yet.

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

My only concern was not seeing too much gom influence, on the radar at least.  Downsloping is a beast.  Usually need an energetic system.  Will know later if this thing survives and has enough moisture to lay down 1-2" here.

That's not your only concern... yesterday you were really worried about stickage on your road.  :P

3 minutes ago, 87storms said:

The moisture is already en route. It all comes down to support for lift. Jet will enhance things later. Seems like NE MD is most likely in the best zone for that. There will be a band of enhanced snowfall *somewhere* during the overnight hours but all of us will get enough to whiten the ground. 1" would be a pretty big win in my yard. That's where I've set my success bar. Less than an inch and I will slanstick that MF'er to oblivion and shamelessly inflate my totals just cuz

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The moisture is already en route. It all comes down to support for lift. Jet will enhance things later. Seems like NE MD is most likely in the best zone for that. There will be a band of enhanced snowfall *somewhere* during the overnight hours but all of us will get enough to whiten the ground. 1" would be a pretty big win in my yard. That's where I've set my success bar. Less than an inch and I will slanstick that MF'er to oblivion and shamelessly inflate my totals just cuz

Lol.  Yea this is a slantsticker event but not a bad one to start the winter.  It's colder out than I expected.  The clouds may helped us for later.

As modeled by the NAM, the dew point at DCA has come up to 27.   So the idea that temps will crash this evening when the steadier snow arrives is likely out the door.     My only point here is that we won't have one of those dreaded light snow/26 degrees events where the roads become treacherous as soon as the steady snow starts falling.

Just now, high risk said:

As modeled by the NAM, the dew point at DCA has come up to 27.   So the idea that temps will crash this evening when the steadier snow arrives is likely out the door.     My only point here is that we won't have one of those dreaded light snow/26 degrees events where the roads become treacherous as soon as the steady snow starts falling.

Those are always fun.  Even all wheel drive can't save you then.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived