Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He should check say HFD or IJD or home stations . Not just one valley mac

To be fair this discussion has shown you don't check much of anything, lol, but the fishing method of posting does spur lots of discussion.  Just sling mud at the wall and see what sticks like Tippy says.

We still wonder what those dew point records were that you were touting, lol.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Metherb I'm speaking as a region, not just BDL.

The whole discussion started with Kevin boasting BDL's numbers that's why I used those.  Sheesh.  I can't keep up with him and others switching between locations and regions.  I stand by the numbers for BDL that he was touting.

But in any event, I guess you missed where I agreed with you about the rarity of the numbers but the over pool of analogs.

32 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

LOL...you have the tools - do your own research instead of relying on others.  You're the one that kept touting BDL's numbers then you switch things up when someone questions you.  Always good for a laugh.

We're still waiting for those all time Dp records you keep touting....

41 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

The whole discussion started with Kevin boasting BDL's numbers that's why I used those.  Sheesh.  I can't keep up with him and others switching between locations and regions.  I stand by the numbers for BDL that he was touting.

But in any event, I guess you missed where I agreed with you about the rarity of the numbers but the over pool of analogs.

I know...I was just clarifying my statement in case you thought I specifically meant BDL.  HFD was a couple of ticks higher...but also not sure how correct it is.

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I know...I was just clarifying my statement in case you thought I specifically meant BDL.  HFD was a couple of ticks higher...but also not sure how correct it is.

I think we've all said that as a region, even into NNE, dewpoints were rising into the mid 70s as the boundary layer deepened and we approached the mid 90s. That doesn't really happen that often, mostly because the high dew air masses like that aren't common to begin with.

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah, let's not do that. If I can't be sure my ASOS at CON is functioning properly I'm definitely not trusting John Q's unshielded set up hovering a few inches above his mulch bed.

On 8/13/2016 at 7:28 PM, CoastalWx said:

That was last Saturday with the storms in SE MA.  If you have a chance..Check out First Encounter Beach in Eastham. There is a creek going into the ocean that turns into a lazy river when the tide comes in....or out for that matter.

Headed back to work this AM and drove by the turn for this.  This is about 30 min S of where we are staying.  Bit of a drive.  We went to Long Nook Beach.  The Bluffs there are phenomenal.  They are about 170' tall right on the water.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah exactly...they actually radiated back then.

Even for the Hartford Area, 1988 is insane.

Comparing this year with 1988 for August for Hartford Area for first two weeks of month:

Average Max...88.5F...92.7F in 1988

Average Min...64.8F...71.1F in 1988.

So in 1988, the CT River Valley AVERAGED 93/71 for two straight weeks.  Given the average min of 71F, one could assume it was quite humid too.

DIT would've been full frontal in that type of an air mass for that length of time.

The 1st fifteen days that month, BDL averaged 93.0/71.4, and 10 of those days had minima 73-77.  If the dews there were proportional to those record-setters at PWM, I'm guessing they had 90+ with 75+ on more days in that stretch than any other.  We'll probably never know.

14 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

I just happened to see this post, and was going to make a thread in general OT about wundermap.

So I guess it wasn't just me who noticed the changes on wundermap.

What happened to the model page ?

Here's a fun thing that's now broken on Wundermap

Turn on web cams. Then click on any cam to display it. Now try clicking on the "x" in the upper right corner to close the popup. Doesn't work.

Quality control seems to be non-existent.

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The 1st fifteen days that month, BDL averaged 93.0/71.4, and 10 of those days had minima 73-77.  If the dews there were proportional to those record-setters at PWM, I'm guessing they had 90+ with 75+ on more days in that stretch than any other.  We'll probably never know.

Yeah that 1988 stretch is insane, just all around memorable for weeks.  10 days at BDL of lows 73-77F....jesus.

Thats all we were looking for, something to compare this stretch to.  

Newbie here. First post. Noticed some ppl on here talking about the cell that moved through Mass Sunday night. Somebody posted the radar image.  

For perspective, here are two photos I snapped of what must be that cell. I'm looking west (possibly more WNW) from Pocasset across Buzzards bay.  Photo taken at 8 PM EDT. I'm not an expert, but some of you possibly are. Looks like an impressive cloud formation though. Is it high enough to be an anvil? 

Was lucky enough to catch lightening glowing in the middle of the photo.  My phone died right after the shot, the low battery preventing me from getting better resolution, then with no phone I had no way of checking the radar to gain any perspective myself until I got back to Boston around midnight that night. I'd say the distance to the cell is prob 50 miles though, maybe more.  BTW, I'd love to find a source with a 24 radar loop.  Seem most don't work very well. Any suggestions? 

14009880_955018070708_472241605_n.jpg

14017935_955018060728_1067127532_n.jpg

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Pretty good stretch of 70+ with mostly near 75F.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBDL/1988/8/15/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Hartford&req_state=CT&reqdb.zip=06199&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

17 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Yep, I think we are on the same page for the rarity.  It's up to others if they want to quantify it but I don't know if we'll see that.

To me, it looks like the return rate is about every couple of years for a day to have similar conditions, every 4-5 years for a couple of days and 10-15 years for 3 or more days.

Yeah I agree...though once you start filtering it upward for like 75+ dewpoints, then it becomes rarer...though as you point out, BDL didn't actually have 75F dewpoint at peak heating this time, though they did have like 73F.

Back in VT where its 64/61 and I've never thought dews of 61F would feel so refreshing.  Looks like the high was 79F today here at MVL.

In 48 hours I was able to experience nearly 2.5" of rainfall and about 12 hours of lightning down in CT...along with the supposedly "all-time" CT summer air mass and record breaking dew points (though we still aren't sure what those records are, lol, but they are records!).

My extended family owns about half the properties around this lake/pond, so its a fun spot in NE CT (no paved roads access it)...you can see the Town of Woodstock's municipal beach across the way there along with my second cousins' cabins.  Water level is at least a foot below normal though, usually comes right up to the base of the docks.  This place really could be in Vermont...the only difference would be that you'd see hills or mountains in the background, but overall, the quiet corner of CT delivers that country feel.

2L8A5731_edited-2.jpg

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Back in VT where its 64/61 and I've never thought dews of 61F would feel so refreshing.  Looks like the high was 79F today here at MVL.

In 48 hours I was able to experience nearly 2.5" of rainfall and about 12 hours of lightning down in CT...along with the supposedly "all-time" CT summer air mass and record breaking dew points (though we still aren't sure what those records are, lol, but they are records!).

My extended family owns about half the properties around this lake/pond, so its a fun spot in NE CT (no paved roads access it)...you can see the Town of Woodstock's municipal beach across the way there along with my second cousins' cabins.  Water level is at least a foot below normal though, usually comes right up to the base of the docks.  This place really could be in Vermont...the only difference would be that you'd see hills or mountains in the background, but overall, the quiet corner of CT delivers that country feel.

2L8A5731_edited-2.jpg

Awesome lab!

Archived