joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had to close all the windows last night and it was downright chilly this morning.  I almost wonder if the new house is in a cold hollow.  I will have to find the thermometers and unpack them soon.  Nice visible breath this morning.

19 minutes ago, klw said:

We had to close all the windows last night and it was downright chilly this morning.  I almost wonder if the new house is in a cold hollow.  I will have to find the thermometers and unpack them soon.  Nice visible breath this morning.

Wow.  Sold the house in Peacham pretty quickly I see.  The Upper Valley is a pretty sweet area, both sides of the river, though I am partial to our side.

This was one of those "first shots across the bow" air masses that Tip and I were discussing several weeks ago. It's not deep fall but one of the first hints. That low 70s dry air in late afternoon just wants to hemorrhage heat back into space as soon as we lose the late August sun. It was impressive how quickly it dropped. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This was one of those "first shots across the bow" air masses that Tip and I were discussing several weeks ago. It's not deep fall but one of the first hints. That low 70s dry air in late afternoon just wants to hemorrhage heat back into space as soon as we lose the late August sun. It was impressive how quickly it dropped. 

Dead calm 51 F heavy dew morning - the first thing that popped to mind was, exactly the same thing + 20 F

DEFINITELY something that happens routinely in mid July - right...   :axe:

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Where are you now?

western Norwich

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Wow.  Sold the house in Peacham pretty quickly I see.  The Upper Valley is a pretty sweet area, both sides of the river, though I am partial to our side.

We got 4 offers in ten days, including some offers at and above asking price.  It caught us a bit unprepared as the two houses we liked here went under contract right before and after we put ours on the market.  Fortunately one of the sales fell through and we were able to scoop the house up.  It the great news department, the new house is at 1200' so not much elevation loss though my wife seems less interested in this aspect of things.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet around here, but

congrats everyone! We can now see the GFS hourly on NCEP's website, out through 120 hours. If 3 hour time steps just wasn't enough garbage to sift though, now you can analyze the phantom shortwave each hour for 5 days of model forecast. :mapsnow:

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

congrats everyone! We can now see the GFS hourly on NCEP's website, out through 120 hours. If 3 hour time steps just wasn't enough garbage to sift though, now you can analyze the phantom shortwave each hour for 5 days of model forecast. :mapsnow:

I saw that...talk about data over-kill.  

What was wrong with every 3-hours out to 120?

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I can't wait for the "omg at 101hr" posts.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I saw that...talk about data over-kill.  

What was wrong with every 3-hours out to 120?

I never have a problem with more data. I'm sure it benefits someone to have the 1hrly progs out to d5. I don't think I care about it past d2-3 though.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

I never have a problem with more data. I'm sure it benefits someone to have the 1hrly progs out to d5. I don't think I care about it past d2-3 though.

It just means I can cherry pick the frame that screws me the most with QPF in a coastal storm and then complain about it with MPM.... or likewise cherry pick the most intense hour of upslope orographic precipitation in a NW flow event, lol.  I will say that it will help inside 48-72 hours especially with rapid precipitation changes, FROPAs, or SWFE where even an extra hour or two without IP/ZR can have a big impact on final snow totals.  In theory it should help weenies out with visualizing that all the QPF falls prior to the H85 0C isotherm moving through, haha...those 6-hour graphs where you see 0.25" behind the H85 line but in reality it all fell prior to the CAA and someone is touting "1-3 inches of back end snow" for no good reason.  That's easier to visualize at 1-hour increments.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Am I the only one that has massive  acorns falling? They've been coming down since early August. Squirrels are up there chewing them and knocking down. There has to be others

you are not alone. the ones i have seen may not be massive in size, but very plentiful in amounts.

Archived