Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We grow em round and big.. Our anaconda don't want none unless you got corns hon

4F8BA919-A4A4-4043-BAF9-96BB547176AC_zps

That was my yard this time last year. About 15 wheelbarrow loads after raking them up from one large oak in the middle of the back yard. Not much as of now thank goodness. I did have some maples recently drop thousands of seed pods covering my lawn in spots.

US Highway 212 over Beartooth Pass in Montana was closed yesterday for heavy snowfall.  Not bad for August 24th.

US-212 BEARTOOTH PASS IS CLOSED AT VISTA PT ON MT SIDE.
ROAD CLOSURE DUE TO SNOW.
THE PASS IS CLOSED AT VISTA PT ON MT SIDE AND FROM VISTA PT TO LONG LAKE IT IS COMPLETELY CLOSED ON WY SIDE DUE TO SNOW. TEMPS WILL DROP OVERNIGHT ON TOP TO CREATE VERY ICY CONDITIONS. PASS WILL BE CHECKED AGAIN ON THUR MORN AROUND DAYLIGHT TO WORK ON GETTING PASS BACK OPEN. IF YOU TRAVEL FROM RED LODGE YOU MUST TURN AROUND AT VISTA PT AND RETURN TO RED LODGE. – MTDOT

snowplow3.jpg

Random question. Any thoughts on the Penn State online certificate in weather forecasting? Is it something that is a good learning tool or a setup for a bachelors in meteorology or could you actually get in the field and make a decent living with just that certificate. My hunch is it's a good resource but not necessarily enough to get you in the field itself but any thoughts would be appreciated.    

Squirrels on my street have bushy tails... but saw a lot of rat tails earlier this summer..... Mountain ashes are laden down with berries... bushy tails lots of berries= snowy winter; rat tails, low acorn crop= mild, snowless (by NE standards) winter.... What will it be? 

Or maybe frigid/little snow; mild/snowy... what sort of squirrel/berry/acorn crop for those two scenarios? 

2 hours ago, radarman said:

5 years ago exactly the PRE started from Irene... freaking poured... The next day was absolutely gorgeous, but shortly after noon on Saturday the initial bands came in... by the next morning the Deerfield was angry, and my uncle's hydro dam in Northfield VT had risen 17'.

the beginning of a 8 day nightmare I am not willing to repeat

16 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I swear I saw a flash of lightning to the NW a little while ago... lit up the cloud nicely.  I was not the only one who saw it.

But the nearest cell in that direction is 559 miles away according to radarscope so I'm thinking that's somewhat unlikely.

The storms in the Finger Lakes are about 300 miles away. I'd say it's technically possible to see some flashes from them. 

3 hours ago, radarman said:

5 years ago exactly the PRE started from Irene... freaking poured... The next day was absolutely gorgeous, but shortly after noon on Saturday the initial bands came in... by the next morning the Deerfield was angry, and my uncle's hydro dam in Northfield VT had risen 17'.

The one right in the middle of town?  That was an amazing sight. Our golf course, south of town, suffered $150k in damage. Northfield incurred a lot of damage. 

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

The one right in the middle of town?  That was an amazing sight. Our golf course, south of town, suffered $150k in damage. Northfield incurred a lot of damage. 

The water actually entered the dam at the 2nd floor and caused it to collapse down on the turbine below... a lot of muck had to be cleaned up after things receded...

6 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Greenfield was isolated for about 24 hours.   

Edit: let me clarify that by saying you could head N on secondary roads to Brattleboro but that was it. No access to the rest of MA going E, W or S.

I love this video:

We were out several days.  In the hills 7 miles from the village, we had nothing like this other than an incredible outflow from the beaver pond, which eventually finds itself into the Deerfield a few miles away.

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I love this video:

We were out several days.  In the hills 7 miles from the village, we had nothing like this other than an incredible outflow from the beaver pond, which eventually finds itself into the Deerfield a few miles away.

i could watch river flood videos for hours. it is fascinating how fast they go, and seeing all the random junk flying down river is pretty cool. it is amazing that some of those buildings in the video were still standing.

Archived