Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

57 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Will this get the job done?

dont have 500$ dollars to spend... So my only option is this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T81GAJ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

I like the look of this one--a bit more expensive but you can connect to the internet. Still, it's a lot less than a Davis.   I think I'm going to get one once we close on the new place (3 weeks from today).  I may actually get legit wind  readings as I'll have essentially 1-3 miles of unobstructed wind from about 000-150.  Should be nice in a good nor'easter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O9YIEJW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

i could watch river flood videos for hours. it is fascinating how fast they go, and seeing all the random junk flying down river is pretty cool. it is amazing that some of those buildings in the video were still standing.

That was cool, wonder where all that junk ended up

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Where does the Deerfield empty?

Ultimately it goes into the CT, but in a really convoluted way.  It heads sharply southeast to Deerfield as it leaves Shelburne Falls, but then comes almost due north all the way to the Greenfield line and drops into the CT river between Greenfield and Turner's Falls.

I hate the all-in-1 systems. You either have to sacrifice having your wind on the ground or your temp/hum/rain up on the roof. They don't tend to have fan aspiration either. I like the UV and solar and have some programs with algorithms that manipulate the data, but for most hobbyists I'd say they're useless.

There's someone on CL selling a used station in North Conway right now...

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/5732616875.html

You could throw in an offer and see if he bites. It comes with a tripod  and mounting pole too. It's not a FARS, but you could upgrade to that later if you wanted through Scaled Instruments.

If I ever have the money to spill a few thousand I may go for the Vaisala equipment. WXT532 for wind on the roof and the WXT535 for temp, hum, rain, pressure at 2m.

https://www.scientificsales.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=WXT530&gdffi=15f47aa7ad2740ba9cc6a0e20f2bcdaf&gdfms=E0B5EAB5876D4C38B2250313CD15F86D&gclid=CKzW09TF384CFckfhgod6LUG9w

31 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I imagine a lot of it wound up in Long Island Sound.

Sounds right.  After the Kennebec wiped out 245-year-old Fort Halifax in Winslow during the 1987 flood, about a third of the original timbers were recovered, having washed up on islands in the lower K'bec estuary down near Popham Beach.

14 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Sounds right.  After the Kennebec wiped out 245-year-old Fort Halifax in Winslow during the 1987 flood, about a third of the original timbers were recovered, having washed up on islands in the lower K'bec estuary down near Popham Beach.

I would have been able to watch them get washed down.

view of house.jpg

Hello everyone,

Many of you may know (or not know) but a tradition dating back to eastern days (maybe longer?) has been an NFL pick em contest run in the sports forum.  The schedule for each week is posted typically sometime on Tuesday and participants quote the post, bold the teams they think will win, predict a tiebreaker score for the Monday night game, and the weekly/season standings are then posted on Tuesday as well.  This contest is free.  

However, last year we introduced a pay pick-em league.  This league is run using yahoo and at the end of the season the top 3 people win money (65% for 1st, 25% for 2nd, 10% for 3rd).  We are hoping to get as many people as possible to join...the more people the higher the payouts.  We will also be doing weekly winners with that payout all dependent on how many are signed up...but think $10 per week unless we have a ton of sign-ups.  

Anyways if you're interested further details are in the pinned thread on the sports side...below is the link

3 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I would have been able to watch them get washed down.

view of house.jpg

You'd want to be standing a bit farther back.  Merrymeeting Bay was probably 6-7 feet higher at peak flow, with maybe half a million cfs pouring thru The Chops.  Tides for Augusta were overwhelmed for about a week.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Just pony up 85 grand for a nice AWOS-II....don't need the III which only adds ceiling obs.

Most of those turnkey solutions will generally only use their own instruments though so it's a bit of give and take on the components. It's a bit like buying one of those home theaters in a box which are easy to set up, but you'll have to make some sacrifices since you're stuck with whatever speakers/receiver/DVD player they throw in the box. For $100-120k you can assemble a station superior to ASOS.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

You'd want to be standing a bit farther back.  Merrymeeting Bay was probably 6-7 feet higher at peak flow, with maybe half a million cfs pouring thru The Chops.  Tides for Augusta were overwhelmed for about a week.

Nice.  I'm below Merrymeeting; on Clapp Point,  midway between the Rt. 1 bridge and Thorne Head. 

My spot is the one on the right of that first picture.  It's a bit higher than you might think, probably about 10' above the high-tide mark.  In this pic, the tide was pretty high and you can see it's still a decent distance below.  Given that the house has been there since 1823 and isn't in a flood zone, I should be okay.  I'm eager to knock the back out though and put in a lot of glass, expand the deck, and put in a dock.  Of course, I need to go through with my saw and take everything down first.  I think I'll do that within 20 minutes of taking possession.

20160815_100158_resized.jpg

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean we wouldn't argue if he did that...

heh...do you guys ever have RM Young wind monitors (I'm thinking something like the 05103) available from surplus? Brand new they're up over $1k, but I see used ones available from ebay. I'm just afraid to buy a brick from there. I figured you guys could at least give some assurance that it's functioning properly. I mention that model specifically because I know it can run on a Davis system with their universal anemometer interface (now discontinued but you can find it around). I'd really like to upgrade my wind.

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

heh...do you guys ever have RM Young wind monitors (I'm thinking something like the 05103) available from surplus? Brand new they're up over $1k, but I see used ones available from ebay. I'm just afraid to buy a brick from there. I figured you guys could at least give some assurance that it's functioning properly. I mention that model specifically because I know it can run on a Davis system with their universal anemometer interface (now discontinued but you can find it around). I'd really like to upgrade my wind.

I think if we did, it would be well above the local office level. I guess our RSOIS for upper air uses a model like that, otherwise ASOSs are all moving towards sonic anemometers from cups. Maybe our NEPP sites do too, I'm trying to think back on the two sites I've seen.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, moneypitmike said:

Nice.  I'm below Merrymeeting; on Clapp Point,  midway between the Rt. 1 bridge and Thorne Head. 

My spot is the one on the right of that first picture.  It's a bit higher than you might think, probably about 10' above the high-tide mark.  In this pic, the tide was pretty high and you can see it's still a decent distance below.  Given that the house has been there since 1823 and isn't in a flood zone, I should be okay.  I'm eager to knock the back out though and put in a lot of glass, expand the deck, and put in a dock.  Of course, I need to go through with my saw and take everything down first.  I think I'll do that within 20 minutes of taking possession.

20160815_100158_resized.jpg

Forgot you were downriver from the Chops; tides probably no more than 2-3 feet AN there.  Only the rich brown color would've been different from the usual.

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Forgot you were downriver from the Chops; tides probably no more than 2-3 feet AN there.  Only the rich brown color would've been different from the usual.

That would have been pretty gross.  We still get a pretty decent tide without a flood,  about 6-7 feet.  Fortunately,  we're deep water, so we'll get a dock eventually.

20 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I think if we did, it would be well above the local office level. I guess our RSOIS for upper air uses a model like that, otherwise ASOSs are all moving towards sonic anemometers from cups. Maybe our NEPP sites do too, I'm trying to think back on the two sites I've seen.

Oh well...figured I'd try. :P

replacement bearings/nose cone assemblies look affordable so if I got one with the bearings worn it wouldn't be a costly fix. Someday...

Archived