More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Did MPM move?

i haven't been following 

No, we're still here.  We bought a place up in Maine (well, we'll have bought it on Sept. 16).  We're anticipating using it some and AirBB it some.

I imagine I'll be making an occasional trip up during the winter when the forecasts might dictate the mid-Coast as a jackpot area.....

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's a big difference between store bought and backyard eggs. I'll never go back to store ones. My 12 should start laying soon. 

What's the difference to you?  I've never been able to tell after cooking and eating them.  Taste or just knowing what's in it?

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's a big difference between store bought and backyard eggs. I'll never go back to store ones. My 12 should start laying soon. 

The last time we bought store bought I was surprised at how thin the shells were and pale the yoke was.  I have a neighbor that we trade with for them along with milk.  It's amazing how something can taste so much better when it's not blended.  Maple syrup is like that too...most store syrup is a blend from different farms.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh I'm sure there is. I don't really eat eggs much personally. 

The joke is those cage free eggs they sell in stores for like $5-6/doz. They still spend most of their lives in a cage with the door open and eating crap feed. I cut my costs by having my own mealworm farm and letting them pasture all summer. They eat the bugs, weeds, and crabgrass and fertilize the lawn. I go through a lot less feed that way. I'll probably have a small surplus of eggs once they all start laying so I can sell a dozen each week to pay for my feed. The initial startup is a little costly if you need to put money into a good coop and run. They've been pretty easy to manage so far though. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What's the difference to you?  I've never been able to tell after cooking and eating them.  Taste or just knowing what's in it?

Well it depends on what the neighbor is feeding the birds as well. I get mine from a guy up the hill that has over 20 birds. They get organic feed and free range quite a bit during the day. The yolks are a deep orange color compared to the store bought yellow. Basically it means a lot more carotenoids in the yolk. It's hard to describe, but my neighbor's eggs are much more flavorful hard boiled than the commercial ones. They're only $3/doz too which I find to be a good middle of the road between the Market Basket $0.89/doz and the ridiculous $5-6/doz ones. Once mine start laying they're going to be going on an organic soy-free layer feed from Green Mountain Feeds too. Soy is evil. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The joke is those cage free eggs they sell in stores for like $5-6/doz. They still spend most of their lives in a cage with the door open and eating crap feed. I cut my costs by having my own mealworm farm and letting them pasture all summer. They eat the bugs, weeds, and crabgrass and fertilize the lawn. I go through a lot less feed that way. I'll probably have a small surplus of eggs once they all start laying so I can sell a dozen each week to pay for my feed. The initial startup is a little costly if you need to put money into a good coop and run. They've been pretty easy to manage so far though. 

Yeah, a lot of organic stuff is like that as well.  99% of it is just paperwork that allows you to label it as organic.  I could be certified organic without changing anything but I'd have to do more paperwork and the cost isn't worth it.  Most producers I talk to just about break even and that's because they retail most of their syrup but we wholesale a large portion of ours and other farms syrup.

We've thought about animals but we like to travel too much to make it workable.  I've often thought about a business of feeding and watering peoples chickens/animals if they went away.

14 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Yeah, a lot of organic stuff is like that as well.  99% of it is just paperwork that allows you to label it as organic.  I could be certified organic without changing anything but I'd have to do more paperwork and the cost isn't worth it.  Most producers I talk to just about break even and that's because they retail most of their syrup but we wholesale a large portion of ours and other farms syrup.

We've thought about animals but we like to travel too much to make it workable.  I've often thought about a business of feeding and watering peoples chickens/animals if they went away.

I can put down 10 eggs a day easily, yolk and all, so it intrigued me to get into it. It's as far into farming as I'll probably ever go. There's a lot of good farms around here with raw milk and grass finished cows with organic, sustainable practices that I really don't need to ever get into it. I totally agree about the organic labeling too. It doesn't mean no pesticides...it just means organically approved ones. I'm sure some of those exotic plant based herbicides could do some decent damage to us at higher levels. It's better than the inorganic chemicals in most cases, but you need to pick and choose your battles. I usually get organic apples, berries, and things like celery, but I'll go conventional on foods that don't take a lot of pesticides like avocados, sweet potatoes, and bananas. We pick apples every year in Loudon, but they're always heavily laden with some white powdery pesticide. It polishes off alright with your shirt, but it creeps me out a bit.

We're all going to die someday so you can't worry too much about it. I just hope when I go it's quick and not a long, drawn-out suffering from cancer. Live long; die fast.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I can put down 10 eggs a day easily, yolk and all, so it intrigued me to get into it. It's as far into farming as I'll probably ever go. There's a lot of good farms around here with raw milk and grass finished cows with organic, sustainable practices that I really don't need to ever get into it. I totally agree about the organic labeling too. It doesn't mean no pesticides...it just means organically approved ones. I'm sure some of those exotic plant based herbicides could do some decent damage to us at higher levels. It's better than the inorganic chemicals in most cases, but you need to pick and choose your battles. I usually get organic apples, berries, and things like celery, but I'll go conventional on foods that don't take a lot of pesticides like avocados, sweet potatoes, and bananas. We pick apples every year in Loudon, but they're always heavily laden with some white powdery pesticide. It polishes off alright with your shirt, but it creeps me out a bit.

We're all going to die someday so you can't worry too much about it. I just hope when I go it's quick and not a long, drawn-out suffering from cancer. Live long; die fast.

And snow hard.

41 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How about hawks?  I built an enclosure to protect my investment.  Do you lose any chickens to hawks when you let them out ?  I'm rifling through feed.

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well it depends on what the neighbor is feeding the birds as well. I get mine from a guy up the hill that has over 20 birds. They get organic feed and free range quite a bit during the day. The yolks are a deep orange color compared to the store bought yellow. Basically it means a lot more carotenoids in the yolk. It's hard to describe, but my neighbor's eggs are much more flavorful hard boiled than the commercial ones. They're only $3/doz too which I find to be a good middle of the road between the Market Basket $0.89/doz and the ridiculous $5-6/doz ones. Once mine start laying they're going to be going on an organic soy-free layer feed from Green Mountain Feeds too. Soy is evil. 

Yeah I do buy mine from the weekly farmers market from a farm in the Northeast Kingdom.   But to be honest I've never really tasted a different.  I do really like their pickled hard boiled eggs too...fantastic snack.

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Like Dendrite said, the ones with the deep orange yolks are much more flavorful, its not even close comparing to the light yellow ones.  If you could do a taste test back to back you would be able to tell.  Its hard to eat the yellow yolk eggs after eating the orange yolks on a regular basis.

53 minutes ago, dendrite said:

In high school I had about 8 meat birds as a Future Farmers of America project.  We would let them wander outside during the day.  One afternoon I saw one of them spear a small frog with its beak and eat it.  Never thought of chickens the same again.  The other surprise I got was the first time I ate one of my chickens, they have small hairs.  I took a bite and thought that there was a hair on it but it turned out to be attached.  Turns out you need to lightly singe the hairs off a chicken if you want them removed.

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

In high school I had about 8 meat birds as a Future Farmers of America project.  We would let them wander outside during the day.  One afternoon I saw one of them spear a small frog with its beak and eat it.  Never thought of chickens the same again.  The other surprise I got was the first time I ate one of my chickens, they have small hairs.  I took a bite and thought that there was a hair on it but it turned out to be attached.  Turns out you need to lightly singe the hairs off a chicken if you want them removed.

Short and curly?

Just now, snowman21 said:

Is it true the Massachusetts state government is looking into moving into the Atlantic time zone because of the early winter sunsets in Boston? Saw an article on Bloomberg, but it seemed so outlandish I thought it was from April 1st.

4 realz

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-29/winter-s-hated-4-p-m-sunsets-may-become-thing-of-past-in-boston

52 minutes ago, amarshall said:

How about hawks?  I built an enclosure to protect my investment.  Do you lose any chickens to hawks when you let them out ?  I'm rifling through feed.

We had a hawk attack our Maltese Foster dog 3 weeks ago Talon marks on his chest were deep enough where he spent an overnightin the ER .The red tail is the  biggest red tail I have ever seen. The local animal officer told us of many attacks on small dogs and cats.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We had a hawk attack our Maltese Foster dog 3 weeks ago Talon marks on his chest were deep enough where he spent an overnightin the ER .The red tail is the  biggest red tail I have ever seen. The local animal officer told us of many attacks on small dogs and cats.

Can you post a few pics? As you know we recently got a Maltipoo and have Hawks here and don't let her out without someone with her on a leash 

Archived