Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Nice scooter! I'm sitting here on a balcony in Truro. Not much of a view but the privacy is great. We are up on a hill. There are decks on 3 levels. Right now it's a bit cool compared to what I'm used to. 73 with a light breeze.

That was last Saturday with the storms in SE MA.  If you have a chance..Check out First Encounter Beach in Eastham. There is a creek going into the ocean that turns into a lazy river when the tide comes in....or out for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Freak I know you weren't in the convo..but Ryan and Scooter agree that this if not the topple is top 2or 3. there's really no debating it. Be thankful you got to experience it

With your hyperbole it's very tough to figure out what might be closer to the truth.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

With your hyperbole it's very tough to figure out what might be closer to the truth.

Yeah - everything is always to the extreme.  He acts like this has never happened before.  As others have said, the return cycle isn't that often it's not like it is unheard of.  Still, everything has to be the worst ever, best ever or whatever.  This morning he was touting the stretch of high dews and without much effort I and others were able to find a longer stretch.

I have the daily data for BDL gong back to 1950 in a spreadsheet but not with me and it has the dewpoint values on it and when I have a moment I'll and look at the return rate along with some previous periods so instead of dealing with hyperbole we can have some real numbers.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

No question about it now. This goes down as the top heatwave we've ever had in CT. The combo of high but even better and most importantly the record breaking dews. This is something we may have only seen once in 1995. This makes this summer one for memory banks.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ryan will eventually come on and back thoughts. It's top 3. Deal with it

Top 3 is a lot different than saying there's no question this is the top heat wave we've ever had in CT.  Then you keep talking about record breaking dews and don't even back it up with any data.  You keep looking for ways to make your prediction of special come true while ignoring the first half of summer.  It very well may go out with a whimper but who knows?  I have no problem dealing with facts and statistics but you seem to because you'd rather deal in hyperbole.  If it's the hottest summer ever, great.  Back it up with some data instead of opinion.

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ryan will eventually come on and back thoughts. It's top 3. Deal with it

Glad we don't live here, but nice to visit.  

There's nothing redeeming at all about an air mass like this though...no one enjoys this.  I really feel bad for those that had to endure this in the cities and had to go about their daily lives in that.

But again, what dew records were beaten for sure that you've referenced a few times but haven't expanded on?

19 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I have no problem dealing with facts and statistics but you seem to because you'd rather deal in hyperbole.  If it's the hottest summer ever, great.  Back it up with some data instead of opinion.

I think most on here would appreciate that, lol.

If I was making the claim, I'd come armed with several bullet points to hit showing XYZ happened at BDL and this is how it compares to past stretches.  This is what the dew point has done, and this is how it compares to past stretches...etc.

Bring some data to the discussion if making big claims.  I can't think of any other poster who would call some event an all-time event without showing proof other than, "Ryan will tell you" :lol:

29 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Top 3 is a lot different than saying there's no question this is the top heat wave we've ever had in CT.  Then you keep talking about record breaking dews and don't even back it up with any data.  You keep looking for ways to make your prediction of special come true while ignoring the first half of summer.  It very well may go out with a whimper but who knows?  I have no problem dealing with facts and statistics but you seem to because you'd rather deal in hyperbole.  If it's the hottest summer ever, great.  Back it up with some data instead of opinion.

thank for the objectivity .. look forward to you analysis 

IMO this stretch of heat / humidity is prob a once every ~15 yr sort of deal if I had to offer a rudimentary guess 

Quick look at ThreadEx shows the Hartford Area average temperature to date as being 75.9F, which is +2.7 from normal.  The record warmest period to date was in 1988 when the average temp at this time was 81.6F.

Think about that for a minute...this is almost 6 degrees on average colder than 1988.  

Augusts that finished with a mean temperature higher than where we are now include: 1939, 1973, 2001, 2005.  Those were true torches as to get to that level it'd actually have to be hotter on average than it has been so far this month for the second half of the month.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Where did all time summers come from? I am referring to this stretch. It's a top 3 stretch and there's simply no arguing that. 

You have yet to prove that.  You just keep saying it but reference no records.  What are the top 3 stretches with dates and say the top 5 for reference?

its not that I do or don't believe you, it's just to make those statements you need to bring something to back it up.

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And it will. This will be what most folks remember.

That's not what these guys are saying. They are saying this combo of heat and humidity is normal and happens every 15 years 

By October, 99% of the general public will have forgotten how high the dewpoints were for a few days in August.

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And it will. This will be what most folks remember.

That's not what these guys are saying. They are saying this combo of heat and humidity is normal and happens every 15 years 

Normal is not something that happens every 15-20 years.  That's abnormal.  You are trying to make it sound like people are saying this happens every year.

We are actively trying to figure out just how abnormal it is...that's why we are discussing statistics.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Find 3-5 days straight of 95-99 with dews of 75-80 and dews not below 70. HFD, BDL etc 

Well that doesn't describe this stretch either, at least not yet.

BDL has had 2 days straight of 95F or higher so far (tomorrow will likely get number 3 though).  They've had 1 straight day of dews not below 70 (yesterday morning dews were 69F).  BDL has also only seen 2 observations (not days) of a dew greater than 75F (max dew of 76F)...not 3-5 days straight of 75-80F Td.

*It is very hot and humid and uncomfortable.  But the hyperbole drives me crazy when it doesn't have any substance with it.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well that doesn't describe this stretch either, at least not yet.

BDL has had 2 days straight of 95F or higher so far (tomorrow will likely get number 3 though).  They've had 1 straight day of dews not below 70 (yesterday morning dews were 69F).  BDL has also only seen 2 observations (not days) of a dew greater than 75F (max dew of 76F)...not 3-5 days straight of 75-80F Td.

*It is very hot and humid and uncomfortable.  But the hyperbole drives me crazy when it doesn't have any substance with it.

It's not worth providing facts. 

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well that doesn't describe this stretch either.

BDL has had 2 days straight of 95F or higher so far.  They've had 1 straight day of dews not below 70 (yesterday morning dews snuck to 69F).  BDL has also only seen 3 observations (not days) of a dew greater than 75F...not 3-5 days straight of 75-80F.

Exactly.  He started the week claiming another 6-8 day stretch of 90s was starting but this time he said with high dews but then he qualified that picking and choosing which days counted later in the week.  Now he's just making up what actually happened.

I took a preliminary look and I saw several periods of 48-72 hours of Dp's greater than 70 with temps in the low to mid-90s and several days with temps in the upper 90s with dews in the 70s.  There's probably others but the recently touted 10 day stretch in late July/early August 1995 is a good example which challenges the claim that this is the top heat wave that we've had in Connecticut.  It had 6 days where the Dp was 69 or higher (matching this current stretch).  4 of those days had Dp's greater than 75.

I am so happy this was my vacation week.  I detest HHH and despite it being warm in N Falmouth the constant SW wind across Buzzards Bay was awesome. The HI in  W. MA would have had me melting down. 

Yesterday the wind was a steady 15-20mph all day.  Sometimes I go a month in Greenfield without seeing even a gust that high. Lol.

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nah.. You right .. Run of the mill. Normal stuff. My bad 

lol if that's your take away.

Throughout this whole dialog this evening you still haven't given any hard data, while some of us actually spent 10 minutes looking at obs and ThreadEx?

Why is it either "normal" or "all-time" are the only options you see in these discussions?  No one is really debating anything except we'd like to see how it historically matches up, which again hasn't been answered despite numerous claims along with record high dews (which we still don't know what record was set?)...

Archived