Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Typically late July first of Aug ,Call them harvest flies here as the start up right around the time to start harvesting veggies on the farms

I don't know if they are actually cicadas but I always listen for an insect that the makes a long buzzing sound in the middle of the day at some point in August.  My neighbor always called them cicadas and the folklore is that they signal frost coming in about 30-45 days.  They always seem to make an appearance in early to mid-August and we do typically do see 30s by the end of September.

5 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I don't know if they are actually cicadas but I always listen for an insect that the makes a long buzzing sound in the middle of the day at some point in August.  My neighbor always called them cicadas and the folklore is that they signal frost coming in about 30-45 days.  They always seem to make an appearance in early to mid-August and we do typically do see 30s by the end of September.

I'm not sure either, But, They vary here when they start up by a few weeks or so some years, But typically fall in the time frame i outlined

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If only we were experiencing 90/75 on a tropical island with palm trees and clear ocean.

Ha, yeah this was really nice when I was in the Dominican having people bring me cold drinks on the white sand beaches...but at work it's not quite the same feeling.  I'm not sure why...

estimating ~ hour before Portland ME flips NNE and plummets... despite the hades west wind there, now...

base reflectivity shows that either, outflow or the BD boundary (probably both) is clear and actively moving S ... about 15 miles away.  they probably have darkening skies anyway, because there is an active convective complex ripping ESE along said perceived boundary, and that will swash them over with rain cooled air either way. it will also probably give said boundary a boost/acceleration down toward the NH border not too long after that..

1 minute ago, scoob40 said:

Maybe Tip's BDCF has enough oomph to make it to the I 91 corridor tomorrow.

probably not honestly..  

i wouldn't say there's 0 probability of that by any stretch, but all indicators (not including crystal balls) are that the boundary is shallow.  if so, it probably washes up against the ORH hills as it's western extent.   however, CAVEAT being ... if we get more convection going there could be organized cool pooling and then it becomes moot because said boundary would probably just collocate with the southern rim of the cooled air. 

Archived