• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

Today's High of 98 here with a top heat index of 110 was in pretty rarefied air.  I was in HFD at Launch Trampoline park at 1230 pm and car the car thermo was already 95.  Overall this heat wave has been even more impressive in HFD than BDL.  Seems like the latitude hurt us a bit north of Hartford with some cloud debris and outflow and earlier arrival of Tstorms.  HFD obs have just been wild, dews constantly 76-78 and 4 hours in a row with a heat index over 110 peaking at 113 during this afternoon. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nah.. You right .. Run of the mill. Normal stuff. My bad 

Thanks for proving my point...it's one extreme or the other.

Look, no one is debating the return cycle of an air mass like this, just statements made about it without quantifying it.  But then when someone tries to put it in perspective you flip out.  If you have some numbers or rankings, let's see them.  That's all we are providing.  This is a forum for discussion is it not?  Why can't people discuss statements made without any numbers attached to them?

8 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Today's High of 98 here with a top heat index of 110 was in pretty rarefied air.  I was in HFD at Launch Trampoline park at 1230 pm and car the car thermo was already 95.  Overall this heat wave has been even more impressive in HFD than BDL.  Seems like the latitude hurt us a bit north of Hartford with some cloud debris and outflow and earlier arrival of Tstorms.  HFD obs have just been wild, dews constantly 76-78 and 4 hours in a row with a heat index over 110 peaking at 113 during this afternoon. 

I can't believe you got that hot there.  We topped out at 86.4* here.

Looks like another summer without a 90-day.  High for the summer so far has been 87.5.  Looks like it's all down hill from  here.  Hooray!

69.4 off a low of 68.

Such an awesome AFD from NWS Boston. Next weekend looks pretty rad.

Mild to say the least but not oppressively hot. Muggy most of all
and there will likely be issues with fog at times, especially during
the late night into early morning periods given the sub-tropical
soupiness of the air. To early to get down on specifics, just going
to spin it old school with broadly speaking terms for the time
being.

Thursday...

Given the trough pattern sweeping through and subsequent cyclonic
flow, along with available moisture and additional mid-level short-
wave energy, with any diurnal heating expect the build up of
instability and easy release given the cooler airmass aloft lending
to scattered shower and thunderstorm development. Confidence more
across the interior, N and W more so beneath the cooler airmass and
mid-level forcing aloft. Can`t say with any certainty on severe
weather outcomes and impacts. Just chance PoPs for now. NW flow,
drier air moving in, seasonable overall. Winds may be light enough
to allow sea-breezes along the shore.

Friday and Saturday...

Keeping it dry beneath high pressure. Seasonable. Light winds,
likely sea-breezes along the shores. All in all, pretty rad.

SYNOPSIS...Dunten/Sipprell

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Quick look at ThreadEx shows the Hartford Area average temperature to date as being 75.9F, which is +2.7 from normal.  The record warmest period to date was in 1988 when the average temp at this time was 81.6F.

Think about that for a minute...this is almost 6 degrees on average colder than 1988.  

Augusts that finished with a mean temperature higher than where we are now include: 1939, 1973, 2001, 2005.  Those were true torches as to get to that level it'd actually have to be hotter on average than it has been so far this month for the second half of the month.

Man--I remember 1988.  I had graduated college that year.  We were still living in the Bronx, and my buddies and I would head to Clark's for cold ones and air-conditioning.  I remember we'd be leaving at midnight or so and IIRC, the temps would still be well in the 80's.  Just horrible.

10 hours ago, dendrite said:

By October, Friday, 99% of the general public will have forgotten how high the dewpoints were for a few days in August.

Fixed.

Off to Maine today--home inspection tomorrow morning.  Hopefully, we'll be closing on September 16th.

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Look, no one is debating the return cycle of an air mass like this, just statements made about it without quantifying it.  If you have some numbers or rankings, let's see them.  That's all we are providing.  This is a forum for discussion is it not?  Why can't people discuss statements made without any numbers attached to them?

It's a science forum.  In sciences, if you make a grand claim (hypothesis), you better come with the data to back it up.  The burden of proof in that case is on the person making the claim.  

11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not to rub it in or anything, but this current 95+ "stretch" doesn't crack the top 10, even if BDL hits 95 today.

Unfortunately BDL's dew fell to 68F yesterday evening for the 2z ob (actually cool that the 51mph wind gust brought in a 66F Td) so we still can't get even 2 straight days of no obs lower than 70F.

It is an awesomely impressive heat and humidity period, but it isn't 4-5 days of 95+ with 75-80 dews unless you cherry pick different values from different stations.

It feels really quite comfortably today so far in NECT.  Nice breeze coming out of the NE across the lake and 79F right now.  MD7879 in Woodstock Valley is 76F off a low of 68F.  *Comfortable being the term used for not sweating while using the iPad.

My eyeball test says this is pretty impressive for those who didn't get the BD. We're talking MU70 dews at a lot of ASOS sites which is rare to see...especially with M90s. I would definitely call many of these upper heat indices as special for this region. Trust me, it kills me to agree with Kevin.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My eyeball test says this is pretty impressive for those who didn't get the BD. We're talking MU70 dews at a lot of ASOS sites which is rare to see...especially with M90s. I would definitely call many of these upper heat indices as special for this region. Trust me, it kills me to agree with Kevin.

it definitely is special.  I think there's something being lost in translation.  We all agree it's special...but does that mean once every 20 years, 50 years, 100 years, all-time?

Agreeing with Kevin means it's an all-time or top 2 air mass of all-time.  That's what started this and all the "dew records" we have set which no one can actually say what those records are.

Sort of like some Arctic outbreak in the winter, it'd be nice to quantify it.

59 years old and pretty sure I have seen more close lightning strikes in one week than my entire life combined. Holy **** have  we been getting smoked here. Last night after we got home I took all the dogs out when I heard a tremendous wind coming, I scrambled to get them in just before a gust front with 50 plus mph winds sent branches flying. Good stuff

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We have someone crunching numbers on the airmass and dews and period of time (other than a mac) that stayed above 70. The results will be eye opening I am hearing. And for the record...it's ok to take my side. No-one will think less of you

How far back is your number cruncher going? Because that heat wave in '44 doesn't have a dewpoint archive to go along with it. You can assume with lows in the 70s that dews were also pretty high, but it is not something people kept records of.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Unfortunately BDL's dew fell to 68F yesterday evening for the 2z ob (actually cool that the 51mph wind gust brought in a 66F Td) so we still can't get even 2 straight days of no obs lower than 70F.

It is an awesomely impressive heat and humidity period, but it isn't 4-5 days of 95+ with 75-80 dews unless you cherry pick different values from different stations.

It feels really quite comfortably today so far in NECT.  Nice breeze coming out of the NE across the lake and 79F right now.  MD7879 in Woodstock Valley is 76F off a low of 68F.  *Comfortable being the term used for not sweating while using the iPad.

Sitting in the parking lot of bradley bowl last night watching that storm come in was so awesome!  Tons of stuff was getting hit around me! The wind gust were damn impressive to. The car was shaking and getting blasted with sand before the rain started! Also noticeably cooler during it kind of a relief! 

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

How far back is your number cruncher going? Because that heat wave in '44 doesn't have a dewpoint archive to go along with it. You can assume with lows in the 70s that dews were also pretty high, but it is not something people kept records of.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBDL/1944/8/14/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=Hartford&req_state=CT&reqdb.zip=06199&reqdb.magic=4&reqdb.wmo=99999

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We have someone crunching numbers on the airmass and dews and period of time (other than a mac) that stayed above 70. The results will be eye opening I am hearing. And for the record...it's ok to take my side. No-one will think less of you

That'd be awesome to see.

But why'd you tell me to check BDL and HFD last night, then when I did and it wasn't quite as much as you hoped now we are going for a place "other than a mac"?  Of course that'll be more humid.  

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Crazy heat there.  Love the 5 straight days of average dews in the 70s followed by average dews in the 40s like a little while later haha.

The min dews at BDL aren't too dis-similar, 69F two days ago, 66F yesterday, be curious to see how the average dews stack up.  Probably in that 73F range?

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Well there you go. Certainly looks as dewy and warmer. I mean just think of how few people there were around to water their gardens and juice the local dewpoints.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They said it will go back into the 80's at least

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Great stretch for the HFD area for sure, but I pause a bit before calling it number one. I'm guessing a repeat of '44 would have doing naked dew angels on your burnt out lawn.

Well I did premise it by saying if not #1..certainly top 2 or 3. And before now still a once or perhaps twice in a lifetime stretch..Though perhaps in the new climate regime..this becomes more normal?

Archived