Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ha we can talk on FB.

Back to weather, just was looking more into 1988 and I think region wide that had to be more impressive.

1988 shows up as the warmest first half of August at sites from BDL to BTV.  Even at BTV (which is a whopping +5 to date), it was like 5 degrees warmer in the means that month/year.

Average high this month so far of 85.3F, while in 1988 to date it was 90.9F with an average min of 68.4F.  That blows my mind that two straight weeks at BTV would average 91/68.  Now that's a ridiculous airmass.

And that was before BTV starting getting torchy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

And that was before BTV starting getting torchy.

Yeah exactly...they actually radiated back then.

Even for the Hartford Area, 1988 is insane.

Comparing this year with 1988 for August for Hartford Area for first two weeks of month:

Average Max...88.5F...92.7F in 1988

Average Min...64.8F...71.1F in 1988.

So in 1988, the CT River Valley AVERAGED 93/71 for two straight weeks.  Given the average min of 71F, one could assume it was quite humid too.

DIT would've been full frontal in that type of an air mass for that length of time.

Yeah exactly...they actually radiated back then.

Even for the Hartford Area, 1988 is insane.

Comparing this year with 1988 for August for Hartford Area for first two weeks of month:

Average Max...88.5F...92.7F in 1988

Average Min...64.8F...71.1F in 1988.

So in 1988, the CT River Valley AVERAGED 93/71 for two straight weeks.  Given the average min of 71F, one could assume it was quite humid too.

DIT would've been full frontal in that type of an air mass for that length of time.

Balls to the...floor

I think the idea of this whole metric to measure the heatwave is not necessarily how often dews averaged above 70F. Sure maybe a weak wind shift to west or a outflow knocks it down to 69F....but to have 74-78F dews in the middle of max heating with 95+ is pretty rare all things being equal. That's what impresses me. 

56 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think the idea of this whole metric to measure the heatwave is not necessarily how often dews averaged above 70F. Sure maybe a weak wind shift to west or a outflow knocks it down to 69F....but to have 74-78F dews in the middle of max heating with 95+ is pretty rare all things being equal. That's what impresses me. 

Yeah that combo is impressive... we should make a list of the most ridiculous obs.  Been looking at BDL a lot and seems their afternoon dews have been 70-73F, with the 75-78F like in the morning or later evening.  

Lets list some of the obs and sites that were 95+ and 75+ at the same time.  Not sure I see any at BDL, BED or BOS but I'll go through a bunch more.

IJD had a 96/77 and a bunch of like 91-93/75-77 obs, that's disgusting.

TAN had a one hour 94/75, that's hot lol.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Even 96/74 is still pretty rare. Usually temps above 95 are accompanied by dews mid to upper 60s.

Yeah definitely.  That's like what BTV had this stretch.  Thursday was 96/66.

I'd still love to know how rare this air mass is. Seems like it's very tough to quantify or people don't really care either way lol.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Thank you:D

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah definitely.  That's like what BTV had this stretch.  Thursday was 96/66.

I'd still love to know how rare this air mass is. Seems like it's very tough to quantify or people don't really care either way lol.

I don't care lol. However I feel good on an anecdotal opinion that the stretch we had with those heat indices  is pretty uncommon. I don't think it's all time though. 

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't care lol. However I feel good on an anecdotal opinion that the stretch we had with those heat indices  is pretty uncommon. I don't think it's all time though. 

Haha ok we are on the same page...pretty uncommon but not all-time.

Could also look at the frequency of Heat Advisories and Heat Warnings.

Yeah I agree. How often do we have mid 70s dews during the evening/night/morning only to mix out to the mix 60s during peak heating as the boundary layer grows. Getting upper 90s with 75-77F dew points is pretty rare stuff. 

To be fair, looking at BDL'd data for the past three days, the Dp's were actually in the low 70s, not 74-78 degree range at peak daytime heating.

The daily data that I have doesn't show just the average but the lowest and highest dewpoint for a given day.  I only took days that had similar ranges to what we experienced.  Out of the 23,000+ days, 129 had temps above 96 and dewpoints in the 70s.  Only 5 periods had multiple days with the same conditions since 1949 so you can see how rare it is.  If you just randomly look at any days in those pairs you'll see similar conditions like 8/2/1975's 100 degree reading with a 78 degree dewpoint.  I don't think we had anything that extreme the past couple of days.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha ok we are on the same page...pretty uncommon but not all-time.

Could also look at the frequency of Heat Advisories and Heat Warnings.

Yep, I think we are on the same page for the rarity.  It's up to others if they want to quantify it but I don't know if we'll see that.

To me, it looks like the return rate is about every couple of years for a day to have similar conditions, every 4-5 years for a couple of days and 10-15 years for 3 or more days.

Archived