Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Well I did premise it by saying if not #1..certainly top 2 or 3. And before now still a once or perhaps twice in a lifetime stretch..Though perhaps in the new climate regime..this becomes more normal?

You can't deny the numbers. It's the top stretch for 90+ days (now that BDL is 91).

But 90 is pretty low grade heat wave stuff. If you're going to go balls out for a 3 day heat wave or something like that, let's do 1991 where BDL averaged 100.3 for a high for the 3 days ending 7/21. From the 17th to the 23rd there were highs of 95, 97, 100, 100, 101, 92, 97

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well I did premise it by saying if not #1..certainly top 2 or 3. And before now still a once or perhaps twice in a lifetime stretch..Though perhaps in the new climate regime..this becomes more normal?

I like that claim better...a top 3 lifetime air mass.

Making "all-time" claims gives me a twitch with no real data to back it up as one could see in my posts lol.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

You can't deny the numbers. It's the top stretch for 90+ days (now that BDL is 91).

But 90 is pretty low grade heat wave stuff. If you're going to go balls out for a 3 day heat wave or something like that, let's do 1991 where BDL averaged 100.3 for a high for the 3 days ending 7/21. From the 17th to the 23rd there were highs of 95, 97, 100, 100, 101, 92, 97

I was basing this discussion on dew points primarily..but coupled with high heat. I was referencing this being a top heat producer

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I was basing this discussion on dew points primarily..but coupled with high heat. I was referencing this being a top heat producer

It's definitely more rare to combine the big heat with high dews, since our tendency is to really heat up on traditionally drier wind directions (W or SW).

But dewpoint records are really shady, so few places have a really solid archive. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's definitely more rare to combine the big heat with high dews, since our tendency is to really heat up on traditionally drier wind directions (W or SW).

But dewpoint records are really shady, so few places have a really solid archive. 

The 1991 stretch at BDL was impressive but I believe some of that was a downslope dandy. It's too bad the dew point records are a mess... but I can't imagine there are many >95 Ts with >75F Tds around here. 

All of this makes those earlier heat waves Kevin was hyping up this year seem so lame. 

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

The 1991 stretch at BDL was impressive but I believe some of that was a downslope dandy. It's too bad the dew point records are a mess... but I can't imagine there are many >95 Ts with >75F Tds around here. 

All of this makes those earlier heat waves Kevin was hyping up this year seem so lame. 

Yeah, there was a build up to that one. Mixed out into the upper 50s, lower 60s, then mid 60s each day of the 100 degree stretch. But the last day of the heat wave have low to mid 70s dews and upper 90s temps.

27 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Translated:

91 was impressive but BDL mixed out at times...This is probably one of the 1 or 2 times when we;ve combined big heat and dews over 75 ..especially for several days in a row.

This current special period makes the hot weather earlier this summer pale in comparison..and I am on his side for this.

1. Excluding that 20 minute dip, Bridgeport, CT approaching 100 straight hours of dew points in the 70s.

Cp1UHRrWEAAFVWV.jpg

Cp1UUG6WIAQIC69.jpg
    0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

@WeatherNut27 That 20 minute dip was during a Thunderstorm, can be seen on the OBS sheet.. Last time with a full hour below 70 was 9am 8/10

I had a chance to look at the daily BDL data I have going back to 1949 but only through July 2013.  I need to update the data but it's good enough to give some background on the weather we've had the past couple of days and some of the claims being made.  I sorted out anything with highs 96 or less to match the past several days.  That left a data set of 129 days.  I then sorted out any day that had a minimum dewpoint of 67 or less, again to match the weather that we've had the past couple of days.  That left a data set of 32 days between 1949 and July 2013 that have matched the weather that we have had.

Of those 32 days, there were several periods where multiple days in a row met those conditions:

8/1 to 8/3/1975

7/18 to 7/19/1982

7/7 to 7/8/1993

7/5 to 7/6/1999

7/17 to 7/18/2006

If we look at the strict definition of a heatwave but keep the dewpoint criteria, I found 29 multiday periods that had equally high dewpoints as the past couple of days with temps 90 or above.  I found the most notable to have been in August 1988.  Between 8/3 and 8/14 there were 8 days with dewpoints like those we've had for the past several days and temps above 90, some days with highs of 97.

I think the past several days would qualify as special but certainly not unique given the past occurrences.  I think if someone wants to rank them, they can go back and look at the hourly data for the 29 periods and rank them, particularly the 5 multiday periods that had highs in the upper 90s and Dp's in the 70s like we've had.  I'm not making any claims so I don't feel that I should have to do that.

Nice work, MetHerb.  Always fun to look at the historical context.  Always cracks me up on here but it's the way it goes, someone throws out some statement like its fact but mostly ancedotal, and then other posters go and do the research to see if there's any merit.  Some claims do, most claims don't, so we don't know which to believe.  Like this board is one giant fishing expedition for some.

The 1988 period came up when I looked last night...amazing that year is averaging 6F higher in the means than we are right now at BDL.  That's impressive.  MoneyPitMike remembered that stretch, so it was definitely memorable lol.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

Go big or go home Scott.

:lol:. It's like one side is "this is all-time" and the other side (if you can call it that) is like "probably more like top 10 airmass."  Which translates to "special" vs "normal" somehow.

yeah it's hot and humid in CT, good lake  floating weather.

Just now, powderfreak said:

:lol:. It's like one side is "this is all-time" and the other side (if you can call it that) is like "probably more like top 10 airmass."  Which translates to "special" vs "normal" somehow.

yeah it's hot and humid in CT, I can attest for that now lol.

His mind works on a different plane than most. You're not on board if you're only calling this a once in a 15 to 20 year event.

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Agree with a top 3 dew/extended period..and it will mean several

Can you clarify what you mean by that?  Are you just talking a stretch of dewpoints above 68° like we've had the combination of dews above that with temps in the upper 90s? 

In order to come up with a ranking you need to clarify the criteria and then you can use the data set I already whittled down for you to come up with that ranking.  I just don't know how someone is supposed to agree to something when they don't know the criteria.

If you're talking temps in the upper 90s and dews over 68 like we've had the past several days, there are five other periods since 1949 that meet that criteria, one of which was three straight days and we haven't matched that.  We've also had several longer runs with dews in the 70s and temps in the 90s so while this may be top 10, someone needs to do some detailed research to determine if it's top 3 and this being a science based board you can't just go based on "gut feeling" in my opinion.  You're the one that made the claim and you have the tools, now is the time to do the homework.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

If it means I get to try Julius, I'm on board with a record breaking snow season on Mount Tolland.

I had my first Julius the other day in Stowe from some relatives that live in Tolland and Ellington.  They brought some up and we went to the Alchemist to get Heady.  I also had a Green and Very Green.  I liked the Green better than the double (very green).  

Great beer and my first Treehouse experience.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I had my first Julius the other day in Stowe from some relatives that live in Tolland and Ellington.  They brought some up and we went to the Alchemist to get Heady.  I also had a Green and Very Green.  I liked the Green better than the double (very green).  

Great beer and my first Treehouse experience.

How's the process at the new brewery? I'm coming up to BTV for a wedding in September and feel the need to take a detour.

50 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Can you clarify what you mean by that?  Are you just talking a stretch of dewpoints above 68° like we've had the combination of dews above that with temps in the upper 90s? 

In order to come up with a ranking you need to clarify the criteria and then you can use the data set I already whittled down for you to come up with that ranking.  I just don't know how someone is supposed to agree to something when they don't know the criteria.

If you're talking temps in the upper 90s and dews over 68 like we've had the past several days, there are five other periods since 1949 that meet that criteria, one of which was three straight days and we haven't matched that.  We've also had several longer runs with dews in the 70s and temps in the 90s so while this may be top 10, someone needs to do some detailed research to determine if it's top 3 and this being a science based board you can't just go based on "gut feeling" in my opinion.  You're the one that made the claim and you have the tools, now is the time to do the homework.

I'm calling uncle and giving up.  

He hasn't provided any actual historical data and I know he doesn't plan on it.  To call something a top event you'd think you'd have a list of the top 5 to compare to or something.

Anyway, it's the hottest it's ever been and ever will be in CT...so hot we can't even compare it to past stretches.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

How's the process at the new brewery? I'm coming up to BTV for a wedding in September and feel the need to take a detour.

The limits totally depend on demand and supply at that time.  No growlers but nice tasting area.  I've seen the line snake through the parking lot and I've also walked right in and purchased a few four packs.

If coming from PWM, you'll probably be on I89  and it's really only a 15 minute detour north off Exit 10 (Waterbury-Stowe exit) on your way to BTV at Exit 14.  Definitely worth it.

September can be nice as tourism sort of dies for a little bit between school starting for the kiddos and the real fall foliage season towards the end of the month.  Also, let me know and I can always try to stock up for ya in the week before or something lol.

Completely off topic, but 2 days ago when we had that good storm come through the office, we ended up with a bunch of trees down in Freeport. It's really a continuation of a larger swath of damage that started near Sebago Lake, but a pocket of higher end wind.

We took a call about a possible tornado, like we always do when there are a lot of trees down. The gust front was well ahead of the line, and there were no signs of rotation. We LSRed things as thunderstorm wind damage. But today we continue to get emails requesting we come survey the damage to see if it was a tornado. One of which says something along the lines of: I'm a retired airline pilot and well acquainted with weather phenomenon.

I'm fine with the jokes about being wrong 50% of the time and still getting paid, but something about people telling me how to do my job rubs me the wrong way. 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The limits totally depend on demand and supply at that time.  No growlers but nice tasting area.  I've seen the line snake through the parking lot and I've also walked right in and purchased a few four packs.

If coming from PWM, you'll probably be on I89  and it's really only a 15 minute detour north off Exit 10 (Waterbury-Stowe exit) on your way to BTV at Exit 14.  Definitely worth it.

September can be nice as tourism sort of dies for a little bit between school starting for the kiddos and the real fall foliage season towards the end of the month.  Also, let me know and I can always try to stock up for ya in the week before or something lol.

Careful, I'll totally call in that favor. Ha.

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Careful, I'll totally call in that favor. Ha.

Ha we can talk on FB.

Back to weather, just was looking more into 1988 and I think region wide that had to be more impressive.

1988 shows up as the warmest first half of August at sites from BDL to BTV.  Even at BTV (which is a whopping +5 to date), it was like 5 degrees warmer in the means that month/year.

Average high this month so far of 85.3F, while in 1988 to date it was 90.9F with an average min of 68.4F.  That blows my mind that two straight weeks at BTV would average 91/68.  Now that's a ridiculous airmass.

Archived