Newest Member
    Dump Trump
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

no, those are grass spiders because it looks like a grass spider and wolf spiders don't spin webs.

What I call wolf spiders have larger abdomens in relation to the rest of their bodies, compared to what's in the pics.  We have some around our place the size of grapes, with legs.

Did not tickle 90 yesterday, but the 88 is my warmest in 2 years, and tied for the warmest in August since 2007.  Even beat MPM

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Fook someone else said they're wolf spiders too.  This is bulk****.  They bite and are poisonous.  

All spiders are venomous; that's how they make their living.  Very, very few have venom sufficient in volume and/or toxicity to be more than an irritant to most humans.

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

After checking that link again and looking in Google I guess they are grass spiders.  What a stupid name...if it's a grass spider than get out of the hatchway and go in the grass

Spiders aren't always good at staying true to their name.  I encounter dock spiders here several times per year and the nearest dock is 300 feet away.  If you want a spider to be afraid of, it's them.

15 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Spiders aren't always good at staying true to their name.  I encounter dock spiders here several times per year and the nearest dock is 300 feet away.  If you want a spider to be afraid of, it's them.

It's just the fact that's it's so big.  I've grown to not be afraid of the little guys anymore but this is too big for me. 

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

no, those are grass spiders because it looks like a grass spider and wolf spiders don't spin webs.

not sure if you are kidding or not ... but i didn't have my glasses on and didn't see that filament material in the image... 

actually both species of Wolf and Grass are skiddish and will flee before fighting at the instant of uncertainty.  

wolf spiders carry a venom that is not particularly potent to humans, but will bite if cornered and repeatedly prodded - but even then, you'd almost want to be bitten and give it an opportunity.  if bitten, the most that will occur is mild irretation and swelling, and some itching, but that stays localized and clears up in a day.  there are some reports of further advancing necrosis from bites in Wolf family members closer to the tropics, but those reports are not dependable and may also have been bites delivered by species mistaken as Wolfs. 

mostly what Wiz has there is a pest issue... 

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Dog day cicada maybe? The name is at least fitting.

http://www.cicadamania.com/genera/usa.php?category=A&qs=NH

I've always called them treebuzzers. 

Maybe one day I'll figure out what makes that bzz-bzz-bzz-bzz-bzz-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick sound at night.  I've always called those clock bugs.

22 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I've always called them treebuzzers. 

Maybe one day I'll figure out what makes that bzz-bzz-bzz-bzz-bzz-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick sound at night.  I've always called those clock bugs.

Typically late July first of Aug ,Call them harvest flies here as the start up right around the time to start harvesting veggies on the farms

Archived