amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But the problem is it will have been well below freezing for 12 hours prior to the event and nothing is well traveled at 4AM.

Great time for roads crews to pretreat and continue with operations until the commute sets in...the deicing mix works well with temps in upper 20's and low 30's...imo major roadways remain fine...

I criteria 6" there or 7"?  I could see that actually making a difference in this situation.

I'd just fly with a high end Advisory event of 4-7". 

Although a watch will get the word out more, even if you think in the end it just gets converted to a high end advisory.  I was sort of thinking we'd see BTV/GYX/BOX do something like that, issue a watch even if they think in the end it'll be an advisory.  Just to get awareness on the first real widespread plowable event.

A well traveled highway with warm ground temps and pre treated with chemicals before a advisory event is not going to be a big issue....especially for Mass DOT...

I see you are from NJ, so I don't know how 2011, October turned out for you. But that's all we heard here in SNE, was that it was October 29; and the strong sun angle and warm ground from temps in the 60's and 70's the week beforehand, would melt any snow that even tried to stick. Was that ever WRONG!! It didn't matter one bit at all!! Snow came down and stuck to everything-highways and main roads, trees, wires telephone poles, and destroyed everything. And the snow started at 11:00 am, tons of traffic everywhere and it didn't make one bit of difference. Your point is well taken, but it's not correct!! At all.

Great time for roads crews to pretreat and continue with operations until the commute sets in...the deicing mix works well with temps in upper 20's and low 30's...imo major roadways remain fine...

It won't be close to that warm at the start. The pike will be ok but the other highways will have reduced visibility and slippery roads. And don't forget the legendary MBTA which people will avoid after last winter.

I see you are from NJ, so I don't know how 2011, October turned out for you. But that's all we heard here in SNE, was that it was October 29; and the strong sun angle and warm ground from temps in the 60's and 70's the week beforehand, would melt any snow that even tried to stick. Was that ever WRONG!! It didn't matter one bit at all!! Snow came down and stuck to everything-highways and main roads, trees, wires telephone poles, and destroyed everything. And the snow started at 11:00 am, tons of traffic everywhere and a t didn't make one bit of difference. Your point is well taken, but it's not correct!! At all.

From what I remember it was below normal for a few days before the October event? Didn't sne have a small snow event before that one? I could be mixing up my dates...that was a powerful costal storm with heavy snowfall rates for a duration longer then 3-6 hours.

This is a different set up with regards to strength of storm and duration of strongest snowfall rates....I believe road crews will have this well under control and have plenty of lead time...the pavement temps mixed with the pretreated brine thrown down will not allow the snow to bind to the roadway.....this is not a 6-12 inch event...advisory event with warm pavement temps

It won't be close to that warm at the start. The pike will be ok but the other highways will have reduced visibility and slippery roads. And don't forget the legendary MBTA which people will avoid after last winter.

Again not trying to say that the snow won't stick to side roads or areas with elevation, but the warmer pavement temps will help urban areas and major highways with snow removal operations

Don't want to derail this thread....glad to see somebody get some

Snow....enjoy the snow

dar Time: Dec 27 2015 3:10 PM EST

alert legend

CTZ002>004-MAZ007-009-011>019-RIZ001>004-006-280415-

/O.NEW.KBOX.WW.Y.0024.151229T0100Z-151229T1800Z/

HARTFORD CT-TOLLAND CT-WINDHAM CT-EASTERN ESSEX MA-

WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-

WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-

EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-

EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-

SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-

WASHINGTON RI-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...UNION...

VERNON...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...GLOUCESTER...BLANDFORD...

SPRINGFIELD...MILFORD...WORCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...

CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...QUINCY...TAUNTON...BROCKTON...PLYMOUTH...

FOSTER...SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK...

NARRAGANSETT...WESTERLY

310 PM EST SUN DEC 27 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM MONDAY TO 1 PM EST

TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN...WHICH IS

IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM MONDAY TO 1 PM EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...INCLUDE PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN...EASTERN...AND

SOUTHEASTERN MASSACHUSETTS...AS WELL AS PORTIONS OF NORTHERN

CONNECTICUT...AND NORTHERN AND WESTERN RHODE ISLAND.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED TO BE AROUND 1 TO 2 INCHES

WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS...ALONG WITH AROUND A TENTH OR TWO OF

AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN AROUND MIDNIGHT MIXING OVER AND

CHANGING TO SLEET SHORTLY THEREAFTER BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO

FREEZING RAIN DURING THE EARLY-MORNING PERIOD ... THEN RAIN BY

MIDDAY.

* IMPACTS...DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ESPECIALLY FOR THE TUESDAY

MORNING COMMUTE ALONG ELEVATED ROADWAYS. ROADS WILL BECOME SLICK

AND SLIPPERY WITH JUST ONLY A TRACE OF SNOW AND/OR ICE.

VISIBILITIES WILL BE REDUCED ESPECIALLY WITH SNOW.

IMO when it's borderline go for the watch and downgrade later if needed -- especially since it's the first event of the year and you want to get the word out. We definitely went a bit on the more aggressive side figuring we'd rather be a little high than low considering it's the first event of the year and people aren't used to it yet.

IMO when it's borderline go for the watch and downgrade later if needed -- especially since it's the first event of the year and you want to get the word out. We definitely went a bit on the more aggressive side figuring we'd rather be a little high than low considering it's the first event of the year and people aren't used to it yet.

Arnold goes advisory for many. Easy to warning tomorrow morn if warranted so probably a good solid call here in NNE

Winter Storm Watch

3:37 PM EST, 12/27,expires 12:00 AM EST, 12/30

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from late Monday night through Tuesday evening...

The National Weather Service in gray has issued a Winter Storm Watch... which is in effect from late Monday night through Tuesday evening.

* Hazard types... snow... sleet... and freezing rain.

* Accumulations... 6 or more inches of snow and sleet possible... along with some icing.

* Timing... snow will develop late Monday night and continue Tuesday... possibly heavy at times. The snow will mix with sleet and freezing rain by Tuesday afternoon and evening.

* Impacts... slippery travel.

* Winds... northeast 5 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.

* Temperatures... in the lower 20s... rising into the upper 20s to lower 30s on Tuesday.

* Visibilities... half mile or less at times.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant snow... sleet... or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts.

----------------

Archived