• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

Considering a week ago it looked like we were getting a torch, it's not a bad thing for a nuisance event to dust off the old winter wx skills. Sure maybe it won't be a WSW in spots, but we take for now.

We were excited when it showed up as getting our first measurable before a flip...still think it could easily end up >4" though...look how shallow that warm layer is for several hours. That's gonna be a close call.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally disappointing for a SW Flow event...these usually rip here in NE PA but this one they're only forecasting an inch then sleet. Only in Winter 15-16 can you slam a 1004mb low into a 1042mb high over Caribou and have the low come out on top.

What shocks me is how fast the cold looks to retreat. You think -20C 850s are coming in, then bam, changeover.

We were excited when it showed up as getting our first measurable before a flip...still think it could easily end up >4" though...look how shallow that warm layer is for several hours. That's gonna be a close call.

Yeah we'll have to monitor models. Could very well be a good event north of pike into Boston. My comment was for those that were whiny. It's a lot better than we had a week ago.

Totally disappointing for a SW Flow event...these usually rip here in NE PA but this one they're only forecasting an inch then sleet. Only in Winter 15-16 can you slam a 1004mb low into a 1042mb high over Caribou and have the low come out on top.

What shocks me is how fast the cold looks to retreat. You think -20C 850s are coming in, then bam, changeover.

PA sucks in those, and what do you expect with the mid level low so far west. I don't care what winter it is, that's gonna happen no matter what. High pressure won't stop a 8,000ft warm layer.

Yea, it was at least better having to track something even if I'm still shutout.

Guidance had a pretty good handle on this thing from the get go albeit with some fluctuations but that's to be expected.

I think the euro had a good handle on this one, Some were questioning it holding back the energy in the SW, And then the rest of the models started to slow down as well ejecting the ULL out of the south

I think the euro had a good handle on this one, Some were questioning it holding back the energy in the SW, And then the rest of the models started to slow down as well ejecting the ULL out of the south

Yea. I mean, it's not like we had wild swings from run to run. Gfs had like two or three runs in a row where it went really cold but then it backed off. Euro was pretty good though.let's hope it performs as well should we face a good sized coastal cuz tbh, it's performance for my hood in Juno left sour taste.

The problem is the pattern overall is quite mild. 500mb heights at 570dm isn't exactly the best setup for snow. Well timed confluence gives us a nice cold/dry high to the north but we're starting off with a pretty marginal airmass in mid levels.

The problem is the pattern overall is quite mild. 500mb heights at 570dm isn't exactly the best setup for snow. Well timed confluence gives us a nice cold/dry high to the north but we're starting off with a pretty marginal airmass in mid levels.

Yeah I actually feel like we got quite lucky with this one.  This just as easily could've been another torch cutter if it wasn't for well timed high pressure and good cold delivery prior to the event.  Just getting something wintery out of this is a huge win.  If that high isn't there then we are making another run at record high temps given how deep the trough is out west right now.

It's a totally appropriate first storm of the season and that is how it will behave. Just pretend it is early December and we'll all be happier. A big step in the step down and by Jan 15 we will all be happy. Going for 5.5 inches here in Dendriteville.

had the month behind feeling since September. We may be on the verge of another special winter

Yeah I actually feel like we got quite lucky with this one. This just as easily could've been another torch cutter if it wasn't for well timed high pressure and good cold delivery prior to the event. Just getting something wintery out of this is a huge win. If that high isn't there then we are making another run at record high temps given how deep the trough is out west right now.

exactly why we applauded Eastern Canada snow in Nov and Dec. Reason NE Maine has been getting snowstorms, time to shift that south.

exactly why we applauded Eastern Canada snow in Nov and Dec. Reason NE Maine has been getting snowstorms, time to shift that south.

It seems every time you look at the models and snow maps over the past couple weeks there's another big stripe of snow going across southern/central Quebec through northern Maine and into the Maritimes.  We just need to get that whole zone south.  If it was like 100 miles south this month would've been serviceable here even with warm departures.  Just how it breaks sometime.  The times are changing though.

How familiar is this for NNE when a Christmas week snow last year saved ski areas.

Did we get snow last year during Xmas?  I know there was a nasty Grinch storm.

The best Christmas holiday week was definitely in 2012...two different big synoptic events.  I think Sugarbush reported 100" of snow that December even while punting the first 10 days.  Other than that, all I remember are Grinches, lol.

It seems every time you look at the models and snow maps over the past couple weeks there's another big stripe of snow going across southern/central Quebec through northern Maine and into the Maritimes.  We just need to get that whole zone south.  If it was like 100 miles south this month would've been serviceable here even with warm departures.  Just how it breaks sometime.  The times are changing though.

yea it's been crazy down there...NS and NB ftw.  I've been too far north.

Yeah I actually feel like we got quite lucky with this one. This just as easily could've been another torch cutter if it wasn't for well timed high pressure and good cold delivery prior to the event. Just getting something wintery out of this is a huge win. If that high isn't there then we are making another run at record high temps given how deep the trough is out west right now.

Yup absolutely. The pattern is quite mild but some well timed confluence to the north is bringing in a nice surge of low level cold. Up in mid levels it's quite torchy.

Let's enjoy it... We got lucky with this one and it's a break from the monotony.

Step down process, Been about 100 miles to far south otherwise we would have had a decent Dec in this crappy pattern here, It was just a matter of shifting that boundary south, It will continue and the rest of the region will cash going forward

NAM is a scalpfest...it's definitely been on the warmer side of guidance. It also doesn't have an impressive WCB thump at all in SNE..mostly light precip until later on. That's one of the bigger differences between it and the GFS...Euro is kind of in the middle.

Archived