gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally disappointing for a SW Flow event...these usually rip here in NE PA but this one they're only forecasting an inch then sleet. Only in Winter 15-16 can you slam a 1004mb low into a 1042mb high over Caribou and have the low come out on top.

What shocks me is how fast the cold looks to retreat. You think -20C 850s are coming in, then bam, changeover.

You set yourself up for disappointment hallucinating a snow threat for NYC into existence.

SWFE do NOT snow in NYC with a +AO, +NAO and raging el nino.

Examples in previous seasons in which they did are irrelevant. 

I laid out why this would happen when NYC weenies were going nuts a few days ago in another forum.

You set yourself up for disappointment hallucinating a snow threat for NYC into existence.

I laid out why this would happen when NYC weenies were going nuts a few days ago in another forum.

They do when the wave is weak, this one is way too deep of a low but it is odd how the mid levels are so insanely warm in this event for sure its uncharacteristically bad for a SWFE, even in NYC.

They do when the wave is weak, this one is way too deep of a low but it is odd how the mid levels are so insanely warm in this event for sure its uncharacteristically bad for a SWFE, even in NYC.

Nothing is odd about it.

The MA pike is a pretty common transition zone for these.

Many of us cited exactly how this would evolve when some models, including the EURO, were printing out a major snowstorm.

Usually though NYC sees snow in these, even if it's just 1-2 inches it's fairly unusual for them to start as sleet or rain if a high is positioned to the north like this

Extraordinarily subjective.

Remember, the cold in the mid levels is pedestrian to begin with and it abating as the high slides east because there is no block (NAO) to impeded it.

Unwise to generalize.

How did NYC do in Dec 2007 and 2008 with a positive NAO???

Extraordinarily subjective.

Remember, the cold in the mid levels is pedestrian to begin with and it abating as the high slides east because there is no block (NAO) to impeded it.

Unwise to generalize.

How did NYC do in Dec 2007 and 2008 with a positive NAO???

I know we saw similar events to this like 1/11/91 and 12/14/03 and got pounded on the front end. The angle approach of those events may have been more from the SSW vs SW or WSW which sometimes is a big difference

I'm in extreme NE PA at 1600' near the NY State border, more like the Catskills than Poconos. This area has a very cold and snowy climo with 70-75" average snowfall. We usually get a solid 4-8" from most SWFEs up here. We have not had any snowfall this season...it will be nice to get an inch or two but won't make up the deficit.

It is odd, Ray, how warm the mid-levels are. We all knew it was going to be a weird storm and milder due to El Nino so please stop pretending you are enlightening us. I am not one of those NYC weenies who thought Brooklyn was getting 8" out of this so don't put me in this class.

Just sucks we finally get a cold 1040mb+ high with -30C 850s to our north, and the storm still ends up being a torch. Having 570dm heights over us and the storm so far west killed us. These are much better when they track through Ohio...

I'm in extreme NE PA at 1600' near the NY State border, more like the Catskills than Poconos. This area has a very cold and snowy climo with 70-75" average snowfall. We usually get a solid 4-8" from most SWFEs up here. We have not had any snowfall this season...it will be nice to get an inch or two but won't make up the deficit.

It is odd, Ray, how warm the mid-levels are. We all knew it was going to be a weird storm and milder due to El Nino so please stop pretending you are enlightening us. I am not one of those NYC weenies who thought Brooklyn was getting 8" out of this so don't put me in this class.

Just sucks we finally get a cold 1040mb+ high with -30C 850s to our north, and the storm still ends up being a torch. Having 570dm heights over us and the storm so far west killed us. These are much better when they track through Ohio...

You are right that the mid levels were not that cold to start....true.

But that should have been a flag to begin with....JMO.

Remember, elevation has zero to do with mid level warmth.

Archived