amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Late December miracle early next week!?

ineedsnow

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do think about New Hartford / Torrington / Harwinton CT. Most of my plowing accounts are in this area and most of them i go out on 2-3 inches.

Close. Probably ends up more like 1-2" then a bunch of sleet, but it could end up in the 2-3" window if the colder solutions are right or we get one more cold tick tomorrow. I'd guess you'd have something to treat though between the snow and the sleet.

Iceberg are you melting? Dryslot just reporting the model data. This will edge back and forth I'd bet, and of course you are in a more vulnerable spot, though I don't expect all snow here.

Lol no he posted it 3 times in a row...must of been server glitch.

Anyway, I don't melt until like VD. By then if my yard is still struggling all bets are off.

I've seen 20" of snow stick over ground after a week in the 60's ...granted, it thundered while it snowed and came down like lucifer's hammer...  still, i've also seen 'first snow' of the season in octobers when the ground definitely was not frozen, stick... i don't think that statement is scientifically tested, and a-priori experience on the matter doesn't support soil temperature enough.  i suppose if it was 100 F the day before, ...yeah...i guess.  but you can almost intuit, if the soil temperature is say ... within some 25 F of the air, that argument fails all the time (or something like that)

anyway, this still looks more like the majority of the qpf should fall as ice or cold rain (N-S), after 2-4 hours of front end snow.  i tend to break this up into 3 sections in mind: the first 4 hours snow; the 2nd 4 hours ice; the 3rd 4 hours cold rain and/or mist, with deep interior regions holding out near freezing.

but, if folks are focused just on snow ... this should certainly qualify as the first synoptic occurrence of the season -

24 hours of below freezing Temps before 8t starts. It's gonna accum7late. My question is if NWS issues a watch or an advisory

Ofcourse it's going to accumulate. I have to agree with Kevin on this one. It is rather comical that trained METS would even still use that disproven idea. The October Bomb in 2011 disproved and blew those warm ground ideas out of the water! And that was October nonetheless. It's now December, and we are just passed the solstice, warm ground ideas hold much less credibility now than in October. If it precipitates with any type authority, it accumulates... in October and especially in wintertime as well.

Certainly possible. But for most in SNE it's only a 3-4 hour period of snow at best before sleet.

The thing is, one hour means a lot. This has a very high warm tongue which is a negative. However, the high is in a classic spot to help overachieve even with a high warm tongue aloft. So it's a battle. We have another day to fine tune a couple of inches. My highest confidence is 2-4 for Boston proper, but if the warmth is delayed an hour, all bets are off. 3-6 can easily happen just inland where maybe the snow won't get as wet.

The thing is, one hour means a lot. This has a very high warm tongue which is a negative. However, the high is in a classic spot to help overachieve even with a high warm tongue aloft. So it's a battle. We have another day to fine tune a couple of inches. My highest confidence is 2-4 for Boston proper, but if the warmth is delayed an hour, all bets are off. 3-6 can easily happen just inland where maybe the snow won't get as wet.

Well then enjoy it. South of pike hopefully will get chances in Jan

He's being a typical weenie obsessing over the top end of the range while 48 hours out.

If it trends a little warmer then 5-6" won't happen but if it trends slightly colder then it will. I'd probably lean more 3-4 at the moment after seeing the euro hold steady. But an extra 90 minutes of heavy snow can make a huge difference in these setups. (See 12/16/07)

Archived