joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th-26th Winter Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up getting just over 7". This stuff will be great for the kids to make a snowman today. Everything is covered. Trees are weighted down and I'm surprised we haven't lost power. (but still)This is one of the prettier snows I have ever seen. Currently 29.5 and some heavy freezing drizzle(almost a light rain).

Edit: Just walked around the yard and took some measurements and it's dead on 7". With this being a wet snow and full of sleet, that's a lot of water.

Now that it's light out, I can see that the pine trees around the neighborhood are glazed with a thin coating of ice from about 25' up off the ground. One thing I never noticed before until this morning... these gusty winds make a completely different sound when cutting through the pines. Instead of a high pitched whistle, it's a louder, but muffled lower pitched sound. You can still hear the gusts coming from 3 blocks away, but it's just totally different. I guess you have to listen to it to understand.

Now that it's light out, I can see that the pine trees around the neighborhood are glazed with a thin coating of ice from about 25' up off the ground. One thing I never noticed before until this morning... these gusty winds make a completely different sound when cutting through the pines. Instead of a high pitched whistle, it's a louder, but muffled lower pitched sound. You can still hear the gusts coming from 3 blocks away, but it's just totally different. I guess you have to listen to it to understand.

I know exactly what you mean, I live near a huge mature stand of pines thats about 250-300 yards north of the house with nothing between them and me but open land and I can always tell 10 secs before a wind gust slams into the corner of the house my bedroom is on when we have a west or NW wind howling by the sound from those trees.....the sound is hard to put into words I am sure everyone that lives in central and eastern NC knows the sound.

Wound up with 3/4 inches of slop here. Epic bust. Not only did the mixing issues kill us, but I only wound up with .34 inches of liquid from the whole storm!!!

Every short range model had me getting over an inch and all the global models had at least .7 inches falling here. Ugh....

Prob around 5 or 5.5 here all together. Although its prob lower with compactin/zr/sleet out there. The ratios were lower than forecasted along w/ the warm nose being worse that originally expected. Also, the fact that this was an open wave instead of a closed low really hurt folks down towards ga. The dynamics weren't enough in this type of system to overcome the warm boundary layer. Se la vie. Around 8.5 from 4 seperate events over the last few weeks to end winter has been awesome. Time for spring!

Archived