joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th-26th Winter Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Dunwoody, I got somewhere near the 0.5-0.75" range for IP/SN (I think more IP). This is about what I got the day before in SN. So, I got ~1.25" total SN/IP for the two events, combined. So, though well under expectations, at least it was something of note and it brings Feb to above climo. Plus we got some nice snow showers last week and just missed a major ZR last week by a fraction of a degree as I was right on 32.0-32.1 for several hours with significant rain falling. Plus, this month is going to average near 7 below normal! So, this month was very much a fun one to experience and much more enjoyable than the average Feb. all in all.

*Edited

Actually, it wasn't a bad forecast, we knew going in that the south side of the frozen precip was in for a potential bust. 

attachicon.gifimage6.gif

attachicon.gifprelim.png

Your right..... I need to manage my expectations.  Saw 4 and thought I was in the safe zone, since I was OTP (Outside the Perimeter) Looking forward to Spring!  If I ever move homes I think I  will need to research which county is best place to live to have high snow totals (in the south of course) .   :)  :snowwindow:  :sled:  :snowing: 

Your right..... I need to manage my expectations.  Saw 4 and thought I was in the safe zone, since I was OTP (Outside the Perimeter) Looking forward to Spring!  If I ever move homes I think I  will need to research which county is best place to live to see snow (in the south of course) .   :)  :snowwindow:  :sled:  :snowing: 

I'm already researching... I have a year or two to go before I retire... ;-)

I got about 5.5" in Cary.  My forecast was 4-7" for RDU so I consider it a success.  Now if I could just get power back!

The gradient is sick, I drew in 64 in Apex, which I am a stones throw away just north of it.  I had 4-5" I guess, hard to tell from compaction, this morning it was 4" on my deck so guess it was probably close to 5.

post-2311-0-09353100-1424966274_thumb.pn

Drove all night from Wilmington through Wilson to Weldon. From there I drove through Winton, into Virginia, to Suffolk. From there, I drove just N of Norfolk and east to Virginia Beach - where I've been the past couple of hours.

Highest total I measured was just N of Winton, NC at 7" (6 am est). Measured 5.5" in Norfolk and 4.7" here at the beach. The winds are gusting to gale force right on the beach, and we're still getting sleet/ice pellet mix.

I really wish things would have been better for some of my neighbors but I have no reason to complain. We ended up with a solid 6 inches with no sleet or rain at any point during the storm. We are in a bad area for CAD events but systems like this seem to fair well in this area.

Wow, Greg, excellent! Congrats on the big hit!

In the corridor from the north half of ATL to GVL/AHN in GA, total liquid equivalent precip. for 2/25 averaged near 0.50". This was somewhat underneath the consensus closer to 0.75" (what I was expecting). At least one of the late NAM runs had a whopping 1.5", which I had immediately dismissed as hogwash based on it both being a wet outlier and a poor/quite wet biased model at least in these wintry threat situations. I often can cut the NAM output in half and get much closer to the model consensus. In this case, it needed to be cut by 2/3 to be right !

Even when ignoring the wet biased NAM, I do think there is at least a slight wet bias of the model consensus in this area in wintry situations based on years of following models.

I got zero snow up here in minneapolis and nearly zero on the ground. Hated missing this one cuz it may be the last. Enjoyed watching the fracas last night from across the southeast.

Someone go shovel the runway at gso so i can get home please!

kvegas no need.  Even though I had 6 on the deck, only 1-2, maybe 3 on the driveway.  Unless it's shaded it will melt off in no time even with the clouds.

I really wish things would have been better for some of my neighbors but I have no reason to complain. We ended up with a solid 6 inches with no sleet or rain at any point during the storm. We are in a bad area for CAD events but systems like this seem to fair well in this area.

You are exactly right.  Storms like this make up for heartbreaking CAD events.  My wife and I have talked about moving to the Adairsville-Rydal-Pine Log area for several years.  I think I will have to make the plunge soon.  That two hours of rain broke my heart.

In the corridor from the north half of ATL to GVL/AHN in GA, total liquid equivalent precip. for 2/25 averaged near 0.50". This was somewhat underneath the consensus closer to 0.75" (what I was expecting). At least one of the late NAM runs had a whopping 1.5", which I had immediately dismissed as hogwash based on it both being a wet outlier and a poor/quite wet biased model at least in these wintry threat situations. I often can cut the NAM output in half and get much closer to the model consensus. In this case, it needed to be cut by 2/3 to be right !

Even when ignoring the wet biased NAM, I do think there is at least a slight wet bias of the model consensus in this area in wintry situations based on years of following models.

Larry, I've had 0.55" in the last 24 hours here in NE Gwinnett. I reported 0.25" of snow/sleet/ice pellets for yesterday. The NWS said that fell in line with their interpolations of the area. 

Archived