joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th-26th Winter Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a nice moderate snow finale. Still snowing a little and the wind has definitely increased. It wasn't at all what I had hoped for but being born and raised between Salisbury and Charlotte this is so common.

5 miles can make a world of difference in this part of the piedmont.

Getting absolutely destroyed here. Mollywhopped. Nice bright band been hovering over for the last hour. The snow has been extremely heavy since around midnight.

31 deg

6"+

LOL, you always win! ;)

Looks like GSO finally ticked down to 31 as of 4 AM.

Radar looks awful, so I think the HRRR's band might be fantasy.  The decent band along I-85 near CLT appears to be drying up.  Looks like Winston-Salem is getting into some good rates at the moment, though.  Still -SN here, in any case.

LOL, you always win! ;)

Looks like GSO finally ticked down to 31 as of 4 AM.

Radar looks awful, so I think the HRRR's band might be fantasy. Looks like Winston-Salem is getting into some good rates at the moment, though. Still -SN here, in any case.

I stayed pretty quiet on this because I didn't think I'd cash in. I was expecting a 2-5er.

I was really rooting for that GSP-CLT-RAH corridor though. I was hoping they'd be buried. You too in the triad of course!

How much do you reckon you have? Hope Frosty cashed in too!

Getting absolutely destroyed here. Mollywhopped. Nice bright band been hovering over for the last hour. The snow has been extremely heavy since around midnight.

31 deg

6"+

Closing in on 6" just north of Eden. Actually having some of the heaviest rates of the night. Radar doesn't look very good and things should wind down in about an hour though. Probably a good thing as I am already hearing a lot of calls on the scanner for falling trees and transformer fires. Temperature is at 30.1 with a dew point of 30. Time to call it a night.

I stayed pretty quiet on this because I didn't think I'd cash in. I was expecting a 2-5er.

I was really rooting for that GSP-CLT-RAH corridor though. I was hoping they'd be buried. You too in the triad of course!

How much do you reckon you have? Hope Frosty cashed in too!

I had 5.5" when I measured a couple hours ago, so probably 6" now, I would guess.  I'll probably measure again soon before I go to bed.

Seems like the roads are probably going to be zapped tomorrow if the sun comes out, or even if it's cloudy, probably.  Pretty slushy underneath the snow, though it did finally drop below freezing, so they might start icing up some.

---

Looks like we're getting a little bit of a second wind here with regards to rates.  Might be back to SN.  This really is a beautiful, picturesque snow with all of the snow sticking to everything.  A lot of bushes are caked in snow so that they just look like a mound of snow (no leaves poking through).  The trees are caked in snow and the snow is sticking very well to mailboxes, railings, etc.  In a way, I would like to have made it to dawn to take some pictures in the light, but I think I'm going to bed after the snow shuts off.  I am pretty tired and if I go to bed now I can perhaps not totally destroy tomorrow.

From WRAL:

4:20 a.m.: Mixed precipitation is beginning to change back over to snow in parts of Wake County, Elizabeth Gardner says, and that should continue as the back edge of precipitation moves into the area.
Read more at http://www.wral.com/snow-begins-to-fall-across-central-nc/14469964/#pId5QB1Sg52pGKlj.99

Definitely came in on the low end of the forecast, I think there's about 3" here at NCSU.  Hopefully we can get a little bit more.

I just got back inside from a most interesting jeb walk. I walked down our long driveway down to the main road. The sapling pines were all bent down to the ground, hanging in suspended animation. None had snapped, so when I shook them they shot right back up. So far, we have only lost one tree, a long leaf pine. Anyway, half way back up the driveway, bright pink light shot through the woods, followed by a muffled pop. I stopped my stride, trying to figure out if I was seeing things. In quick repetition, there was a second and then a third shot of pink light. The last was the one that took my power out. So that was one hell of a jeb walk, and its still snowing.

Still have about what we had when I went to bed at midnight. 1-1½" or so. Still doing a sloppy mix -- mostly rain.

The 996 Low Pressure is sitting over the Pamlico Sound right now instead of just off the coast. That 25-30 mile difference had a huge impact on the r/s line.

Alright, the snow finally stopped here in the last few minutes (aside from flurries) and it looks like the final storm total is 6.5". Not bad. Verifies what I was expecting quite nicely.

We never mixed here and surprisingly still have power. Trees are sagging under the heavy wet snow caked on their limbs, but they're holding. I think the lack of wind helped.

Time to catch some zzzs and wake up to massive amounts of melting. :(

well we switched back to snow for like the 3rd time around 11pm last night and got maybe 1/2-1" pretty quickly so I was pretty happy and thought we would maybe be safe and good for at least 4-5"....had a long day though and I fell asleep on the couch and was woken up by the wind and RAIN around 2.....so its been 32 and rain all night but it must be 32.something cause there is little in the way of icing on anything.....oh well on to spring and severe weather....

Archived