joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th-26th Winter Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really wish things would have been better for some of my neighbors but I have no reason to complain. We ended up with a solid 6 inches with no sleet or rain at any point during the storm. We are in a bad area for CAD events but systems like this seem to fair well in this area.

Nice Greg!!   Your old stomping grounds got three inches off Holy Street. 

You are exactly right.  Storms like this make up for heartbreaking CAD events.  My wife and I have talked about moving to the Adairsville-Rydal-Pine Log area for several years.  I think I will have to make the plunge soon.  That two hours of rain broke my heart.

Cheston, there is some beautiful property to be had in all of those areas but with Pine Log you get a little more elevation and it's always a couple of degrees colder. You can't miss either way though  because things are still affordable around here.

great pics!  all in all the last two weeks have been great winter wx with three significant events.  i didnt really expect 8-10 here )although i wouldnt have complained).  ended up with 4-5 (hard to tell with the heavy snow/sleet change overs and occasion frz rain lol). i was thinking 3-5 for that is right on target. most of the big 6"+ snows here are over performers and not forecasted so this was not a surprise.

and that extreme heavy snow for a couple of hours (that started in daylight to see) was so amazing and made the whole thing well worth while!

everything is snow covered and roads are icy/slushy mess.  its still cloudy but looks to be getting a bit brighter out.  glad that a lot of us had a decent snow. i do feel bad for those who missed it - most of us in the se have been on that dreaded line and understand the frustration completely. ugh

this winter was still nothing like the supposed forecasts, but the last two weeks have been a great two-week winter.  lol

Reporting in from the driveway. This stuff is no fun to shovel but it was a breeze compared to the sleet from last February. 6.5" was really perfect, I think it would have been a nightmare with power and tree issues if we had 10+.

From the reports at GSO it looks like our ratio was right at 10:1. I guess that makes sense, it is quite wet but also very fluffy. We had some great flakes for much of the night.

LOL, the road out front is just a bunch of slush now. It's depressing how fast the roads get zapped this time of year. 6.5" was fun, though. Quite within expectations at the storm's start and above my expectations in the preceding days, when I was just hoping for a 2-4/3-6 event.

It looks like we'll definitely make it through the day without any bare spots outside of the paved areas, at least. I'm afraid the non-shaded areas will get zapped tomorrow if we got a lot of sunshine, though.

Wow, RDU recorded 1.08 inches of qpf.

Do you have a breakdown of that by hour?  We seemed to be progressing as progged by HRRR and RAP in terms of amounts until about 2AM, at which point models had predicted insane amounts of qpf (.38in per hr) for 3 hours.  Right about that time, the intensity slacked off and the mixing began. 

Amazing what just a few miles can do. Wound up with 5.5" in my measuring place out back. Snow started about 9pm last night and seems to have pretty much wrapped up just after 5 this morning. Power went out from 1am last night when wife and I had lights out watching out back with the spots on until just before noon today. Shoveled drive and we apparently had all snow. No crust on top. Shoveled drive and first time in a while county plowed our cul de sac...after I finished shoveling! Had to get the slushy from that out so it wouldn't freeze into rock.

LOL, the road out front is just a bunch of slush now. It's depressing how fast the roads get zapped this time of year. 6.5" was fun, though. Quite within expectations at the storm's start and above my expectations in the preceding days, when I was just hoping for a 2-4/3-6 event.

It looks like we'll definitely make it through the day without any bare spots outside of the paved areas, at least. I'm afraid the non-shaded areas will get zapped tomorrow if we got a lot of sunshine, though.

For the upstate people who want to see what a real snowfall looks like just drive up Ceasar' s Head. BEAUTIFUL!!! There has to be about a foot up there, probably includes some from the other night. Totally encased in fog and 29 degrees at the top this afternoon. Absolutely awesome up there.

Do you think any will be left on Saturday!? The youngin is so dissapointed that we did not get enough snow to sled on and is old enough to have heard all the hype on TV! Just want to have a snowball figh! Currently 37

Do you think any will be left on Saturday!? The youngin is so dissapointed that we did not get enough snow to sled on and is old enough to have heard all the hype on TV! Just want to have a snowball figh! Currently 37

I can't imagine all of that melting tomorrow. It certainly didn't get above freezing today and I'm sure it will stay chilly up there tomorrow. Even with full sun it should be worth the drive on Saturday. Just be careful above about 2500 ft as it gets a little icy there. I made it without a 4x4 , just be slow and careful. That part may melt tomorrow - it looked like the rest of the road had been scraped. The snow up there was perfect. When I picked up a clump, it was light and fluffy, yet still sticky enough for a great snowball. No concrete. On the way down I was thinking how cool it would have been to have seen it in my own neighborhood. You can always call the park HQ first to check.

First pic is snow at Wow's house last night just starting to pour.

2nd pic is this morning from upstairs.

Final pic is the deer coming last night that he grabbed from his outdoor cam.

Wish I had been there as it looks simply beautiful. Congrats to all who got their snow and fingers crossed for next time for those who didn't.

Suz

post-81-0-20888200-1425003464_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-19610700-1425003477_thumb.jpg

post-81-0-94609900-1425003495_thumb.png

Archived