joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I don't think the 0Z Goofy was a bad run.

Atleast the super cold look is back! Looks like we could be setting up a cold shot , warm up, rain , cold shot , warm up, etc pattern! :( kind of like the winter so far!? Just not meant to be! Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time I heard " this storm is setting the stage for the next one" or " we have to get this cutter out of the way, the next storm looks really good" , I'd be a hundredaire!

Atleast the super cold look is back! Looks like we could be setting up a cold shot , warm up, rain , cold shot , warm up, etc pattern! :( kind of like the winter so far!? Just not meant to be! Seriously, if I had a dollar for every time I heard " this storm is setting the stage for the next one" or " we have to get this cutter out of the way, the next storm looks really good" , I'd be a hundredaire!

Mack, you're the only one I ever hear repeating that phrase.  I know you say it tongue-in-cheek every time, but perhaps you simply hear an echo?

The bubble over GSP is from Shetleys house! He never gets any weather, just status quo, no rain, no snow , no cold, no thunderstorms, just a bubble over his yard! :)

Compressional warming. It happens a lot in the lee of a mountainous region. It can also be a focal point of lee-side troughs, under the right conditions, see Jan 23, 2003.

Can't post instantweathermaps but the GFS at 84 shows a decent hit for NE NC as well.

Very cold from the GFS next Sunday down in the Piedmont of NC with highs staying around 20 degrees.

Will it stick?

I can't explain the heat bubble in NW SC though.

Sunday 15FEB15 early afternoon:

LCjL9en.png

DPWujnB.png

n5xohDd.png

MqNAgLO.png

Images courtesy of Weatherbell

That heat bubble in NW SC is what us locals call the Duke Power effect, caused by generating electricity with the nuclear reactors at this site. We have had lengthy discussions in the past in our area on a local weather blog about why our area seems to be a few degrees warmer especially when winter weather is concerned. We always have had a warm bubble of air in this immediate area.

GFS today is crazy cold for 12z. How we get that big of a cold push and nothing to show for it on the frontside or backside is a testament to this winter. I'm guessing highs for Sunday will be in the 20's.

It has been unbelievable that we have gotten the cold air this year but absolutely no moisture to work with when it gets cold. It amazes me how we ever got a snowstorm in the south the way this winter has been.

This map is showing 250mb zonal wind anomalies for Jan into early Feb.  Lol, no wonder these cutoffs keep spinning over the southwest as the jet level winds there have been weaker than average.  There are above avg winds there just north of Hawaii along 30N, but across N America we have the opposite of what we would like to see.  That is, we have below normal winds from Baja into the Gulf of Mexico (weaker than normal southern stream there) and above normal winds across southern Canada to southern Greenland (characteristic of +AO/+NAO).

250mb.gif

Archived