joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some Fish-Thoughts!

426856_10151225415545724_1811994702_n.jp

UPDATE! This could be one of those rare times where the long range models were on to something, but before you get too excited, let's take a more detailed look at this. There are growing signs of two pretty intense arctic shots: one Friday and perhaps an even more impressive one Sunday. The Sunday outbreak could easily result in a high temperatures in the low to mid 20s with lows near 10. Here's the bad news though. Not only is it unlikely to snow while it's that cold, it could be in the 40s with rain within 48 hours of that extreme cold occurring. As Jimmy V said, don't ever give up, but this just doesn't seem to be our year when it comes to snow, and the clock is ticking big time!

Well if that happens, that would be quite impressive for another reason. The airmass with the 2nd cold shot is insanely dry..maybe record dry? For the 2nd cold shot, the euro, gfs and canadian are spitting out dewpoints that I (as i'm sure most here) have never seen before.  Depending on which run you look at, It is generally showing dewpoints in the -10s to -20F range over the entire southeast. The last few runs has widespread sub -20F dewpoints over a lot of the mid south into MS. The 0z run last night even had dewpoints approaching -25F over the upstate sunday morning!   Dewpoints in the single digits and even below zero even make it to south florida.

Well if that happens, that would be quite impressive for another reason. The airmass with the 2nd cold shot is insanely dry..maybe record dry? For the 2nd cold shot, the euro, gfs and canadian are spitting out dewpoints that I (as i'm sure most here) have never seen before.  Depending on which run you look at, It is generally showing dewpoints in the -10s to -20F range over the entire southeast. The last few runs has widespread sub -20F dewpoints over a lot of the mid south into MS. The 0z run last night even had dewpoints approaching -25F over the upstate sunday morning!   Dewpoints in the single digits and even below zero even make it to south florida.

That would be amazing if that was right.  I don't know if I have ever seen that here.  To be honest, I think -5 or so is the lowest I have seen here with a 1051mb high parked in prime time CAD spot.  Back in 2002 or 03 I believe  Nice ZR event that was

Well if that happens, that would be quite impressive for another reason. The airmass with the 2nd cold shot is insanely dry..maybe record dry? For the 2nd cold shot, the euro, gfs and canadian are spitting out dewpoints that I (as i'm sure most here) have never seen before. Depending on which run you look at, It is generally showing dewpoints in the -10s to -20F range over the entire southeast. The last few runs has widespread sub -20F dewpoints over a lot of the mid south into MS. The 0z run last night even had dewpoints approaching -25F over the upstate sunday morning! Dewpoints in the single digits and even below zero even make it to south florida.

We saw some insanely low DP's on Jan 7th this year. Guidance then was also at times spitting out DP's below -10F. Actual on that day reached single digits below zero all across SC including -3f to -7F at KCHS. Shocked on every damn thing I touched metal that day. Lowest I can recall down here occurred on Feb 16th 1991 actually. I believe the DP went down to -11. Had snow showers in the AM driven by wind gusts occasionally gusting over 60mph during the day. Even the previous day when it reached 70, RH values were down to 7% yielding a DP of 3 with gusty W winds. I can't recall DP's during the 1985 Jan 21st record Arctic outbreak.

The 00z GFS was really close to a major winter storm on D8. Big south shift. Creams S VA.

Yup, its close.. if the arctic air keeps trending stronger, and the PV further south I think it will help our chances of the storm not cutting too far north.. but hey this winter has been so progressive who knows..

The cold shot behind the 18th storm, does not look to shabby either! If we could get that storm to produce snow for alot of us and get the cold right behind it, we could have it stay on the ground more than a day! It's going to be hard for this storm to be anything but rain, IMO , the cold will be VERY stale by the time it arrives! I don't think dp in the -20s could even help, stale hardly ever works out, need fresh cold air!

Looks like the GFS is drunk in the LR again.  It's been doing this crap all winter.

Okay, I no longer respect the GFS even with the upgrade.  It's been lying to us a lot in the SE.  The Euro verification scores are still better (at least globally) and isn't it the global weather going on that ultimately affects us here in the states? :)  It's like a riddle I know. ;/

Folks,

The 6Z GFS has a major SN for much of NC/TN on 2/17 due to a much colder high to the north feeding in cold air. Is this a blip, close to accurate, or the start of a southward trend? If the last option, those south of NC/TN could also get in on some action on future runs.

Folks,

The 6Z GFS has a major SN for much of NC/TN on 2/17 due to a much colder high to the north feeding in cold air. Is this a blip, close to accurate, or the start of a southward trend? If the last option, those south of NC/TN could also get in on some action on future runs.

RAH has an interest in this system:

<Last part of LR discussion>

INCREASING CLOUDS EXPECTED TUESDAY WITH HIGHS IN THE 40S. THIS NEXT

SYSTEM MAY BECOME MORE INTERESTING AS TIME GOES ALONG. CURRENT

OPERATIONAL MODELS SUGGEST A CHANCE OF A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE

DEVELOPING ALONG THE MAIN POLAR FRONT OVER THE SE STATES.

TIMING/STRENGTH/TRACK OF THE WAVE... ALONG WITH THE AMOUNT/DEPTH OF

COLD AIR FEED INTO THE REGION FROM THE NORTH WILL BE CRITICAL FOR

ANY WINTERY PRECIPITATION MID NEXT WEEK.

Folks,

Yeah Larry great look on the 6z GFS.  That would make most of the NC posters smile and forget about this abysmal winter so far.  Here is Alan's 48hr snowfall map from the event.  Looks like it drops close to 6"-7" in some places.  Of course this will all probably change on the 12z runs but the Euro and GFS somewhat agree on this threat as of now.

1zdz0k7.jpg

I'm liking what the models are doing now and it certainly has my interest. Timing is right for this and with the pattern reloading it's ripe for a winter storm. Would not be surprised to see the cold airmass sagging down as we go. This airmass hitting us this weekend is the real deal so there is plenty of cold air to work with up north after it swings through. 

Archived