joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2/10/2015 12z EPS members showing 2" or greater snowfall at an assumed 10:1 ratio (could be sleet/ice for some) within the 240 hour window viewable.  These are the numbers out of 51 possible.  These are just the overall idea, and not storm specific.  Storm specific ones may come if it looks obvious there is going to be a substantial widespread Winter storm well inside 240 hours.

AL:

KBHM - 2

KHSV - 15

KASN - 4

KTCL - 1

KAUB - 0

GA:

KAHN - 16

KATL - 10

KGVL - 24

KSAV - 0

KMCN - 1

TN:

KCHA - 23

KMEM - 16

KBNA - 27

KTYS - 25

KUCY - 34

MS:

KTUP - 7

KJAN - 0

KGWO - 5

KBIX - 0

KSTF - 3

NC:

KAVL - 35

KCLT - 20

KGSO - 31

KRDU - 19

KILM - 3

SC:

KCEU - 32

KCAE - 8

KGSP - 27

KMYR - 3

KCHS - 1

KUZA - 18

yup...so tell me we are to believe the drunk doc?  LMAO

The EPS mean shifted to the north also and is now a good bit warmer for almost all of Georgia. Usually I would say this is telling but I cannot remember a year in which even the ensembles have waffled almost as badly as the operationals. The GFS has been making incrementally smaller shifts further north like GAwx posted earlier. Right now I would be more inclined to go with GFS as it has a little more continuity but we will see where it goes tonight. 

Significant changes in one run of the EURO. Atlanta went from -20C on the 00Z to 0C on the 12Z at 850mb for Sunday morning LOL. :lmao:

The euro has been has horrible as I can ever remember it. I mean it's one thing to waffle on a storm but This? King my ass.

No, it's supposed to be too cold to cut.  It can't be?! ^_^

Pattern repetition baby!! Who needs models anymore this winter, honestly. 

Not to sound like a complete weenie here but If it was possible to boycott the garbage that has been the models this year, I'd do it.  I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with them.  It's just unbelievable to me how bad the models have been. You can't trust anything they show..even if they show a particular solution for days

lol at anyone getting excited over any wintery threat  too after such drastic changes with a full latitude trough. To have any faith or trust in a particular of a storm at this range seems completely naive.  And what do you know as I'm typing this I see the 18z gfs trends even further north. What a joke.

The euro has been has horrible as I can ever remember it. I mean it's one thing to waffle on a storm but This? King my ass.

Not to sound like a complete weenie here but If it was possible to boycott the garbage that has been the models this year, I'd do it.  I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with them.  It's just unbelievable to me how bad the models have been. You can't trust anything they show..even if they show a particular solution for days

lol at anyone getting excited over any wintery threat  too after such drastic changes with a full latitude trough. To have any faith or trust in a particular of a storm at this range seems completely naive.  And what do you know as I'm typing this I see the 18z gfs trends even further north. What a joke.

The Euro still remains king..  It is the best model around period.  There is no ifs, ands, or buts about it.  Black and white number prove this.  If anyone expects there to be a computer model that can predict the placement of storms 7 days out needs to realize our skill in forecasting drops off substantially after five days.  Models inside 120 hours have done wonderful.  Expecting accuracy past that is foolish.

18Z GFS is cutting...  wow

Not surprised.

When you seen an ensemble mean on the Euro look like this it tells you one thing, the 12z OP solution was an outlier.

siGLL2y.png

I'm not saying it can't trend into the perfect weenie saving storm, but the models are going to flip considerably the next few days as these first systems get cranked up and out of the way.

I'm a bit puzzled how the EPS Mean moved north when it was the "snowiest" run yet here with almost every member showing something. Sure, maybe it's not really snow, but instead ice, but it still seems strange.

Still a long ways to go with this one, in any case. I'm not going to pretend a cutter isn't in play, either. It certainly is.

A quick thought about the models this year: they seem to, as mentioned above, hold onto a solution for days and then, in one run, they destroy the fantasy storm very quickly. It seems when there is an abrupt change, like today, the solution is usually more correct. It sure would be nice to see the opposite happen when something quickly changed to our favor.

BTW, I am finally going to Daytona this year. Go figure that it looks pretty dang cold for that area in the long range. I am planning on bringing plenty of sunscreen.

Maybe we can get miller B'd since the major arctic air mass will be in place, but wait, we lost the cold! We will take our cold rain and like it! I expect a couple of more nice runs in the next day or two, with a good snow for many, only to have tonight's 18z to be correct, kind of like the SB storm

Archived