CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the discussion.  Hopefully the storm will tick south a bit and the cold doesn't trend warmer.  But considering the lack of blocking and the NW trend, it's going to be an uphill battle I think.  I'd feel so much better if we had a high in the NE for a true CAD.  Considering we're 7 days out though, probably doesn't matter anyway. 

Looking at the 12 GFS Ensemble members on ewall from the 12z run...

Right or wrong, the ensemble members aren't quite as cold with the Sunday arctic blast (maybe that has to do with the lower resolution of the members, don't know)

For the storm, here's what I see in terms of a breakdown (mainly with a focus on NC)

Wintry Mix - 3 (members)

Wintry Mix to Rain - 3

Mainly Rain - 4

It's a huge long shot at this point, with how things look, not 0 percent but darn close to it.  Just looking at the QPF output you can see the favored track on the GEFS.  I don't think this will be as far north as say the last overrunning event that plastered Chicago to Boston but who knows.  Personally I would like to see the areas just south of 40N to get theres so the lower Oh-V, PHL, MA can quit there griping and moaning.  Then it can be just us savoring futility.

post-2311-0-62167600-1423591948_thumb.pn

Burger/folks,

The irony of this 12Z Euro: because the Arctic high doesn't come down as deeply, it is actually colder on 2/17 in most areas when the storm comes in lol!

Now is this the drunk uncle Doc or is it going to lead the way? I personally feel like as we get closer it will be colder...hopefully our energy doesn't get totally squashed if that happens. I really think this is our best chance of the year. 

Now is this the drunk uncle Doc or is it going to lead the way? I personally feel like as we get closer it will be colder...hopefully our energy doesn't get totally squashed if that happens. I really think this is our best chance of the year.

Nobody should be worried about missing this south or the energy getting crushed.

Perfect setup, with the sw flow coming right on heels of artic air that gets dropped in on qus over the weekend. Shutout will end in triad next week.

No way in heck I'm biting on this one...classic Doc being Doc. He giveth and taketh away come 00z. Can't say I'm surprised given the spread on the 00z EPS mean though.

Looks like the Euro is not too far off with another one at hr240.  Damming wedge with a weak wave approaching from the west type setup.

Now that looks more believable...looking at the vort map between 00z and 12z runs with the Tuesday storm, I just don't trust this run. I'll wait for the means and the 00z Euro but this is one run away from not being a storm for the SE.

Burger, it's already really close for areas in SC to not see a crapton of ZR.  KCAE is borderline during heaviest precip.. talking two counties away or so of 32F or colder.. the 850s surge upward of +5 around here during that time...  GSP even looks to get a big thump of snow and possibly change to ZR/Sleet.  Still good snows up that way though.

In other words, the ZR threat is real down this way in mby if temps get colder.

Archived