joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*yaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnn*

:facepalm:

Since we like to use the word "VERBATIM" it looks fairly nice for the western NC/SWVA area (as usual) on the 12z.

Every storm this year has had to battle with a big, fat RED L in southern Canada, tracking in perfect unison with the southern low.

Replace that with a big, BLUE H and we'd have 20" and counting...same old song and dance we've been getting sucked into all winter!

Maybe (or even most likely), but we will have cold air in place. Most of our biggest winter storms had cold in place before the storms. Dew points will be very low; to the point where even in-situ CAD could produce significant ice accumulations.  So in short that great lakes low may not stop us from seeing a significant winter storm. ****but again these details are useless right now.  

The snow is before that frame. 

Here's the one before it.  I'm still confused why it would be as cold as it is.  With a lakes low and the High in a terrible position for CAD, why did it run so cold? From the high in the Canada?  I'm just saying I don't buy this unless the "players on the field" look alot better than they currently do. 

sxCcusll.png

This airmass means business. I would expect a southward correction, putting many more of us in the game for an even more significant storm, if the timing holds.

I'm with you. I'm very excited about this. Big question is going to be timing. I feel like the Euro with its later solution allowed for more cold air to funnel in.

Here's the one before it.  I'm still confused why it would be as cold as it is.  With a lakes low and the High in a terrible position for CAD, why did it run so cold? From the high in the Canada?  I'm just saying I don't buy this unless the "players on the field" look alot better than they currently do. 

sxCcusll.png

Well, you have to take into consideration the antecedent airmass, which is both really cold and really dry. 

The cold airmass is left over from the weekend blast.  The heights in the southeast haven't had a chance to rise enough to scour out the cold so it's a wintry mix to rain type deal...but no wiggle room with the temps, and to me, there's more of a chance of this correcting north than it is south based on the Atlantic side pattern and winter trends.

The cold airmass is left over from the weekend blast.  The heights in the southeast haven't had a chance to rise enough to scour out the cold so it's a wintry mix to rain type deal...but no wiggle room with the temps, and to me, there's more of a chance of this correcting north than it is south based on the Atlantic side pattern and winter trends.

I would typically agree with that assessment but this is a historically cold airmass. 

Both the Canadian and the GFS see very dry and still somewhat cold air right in front of his system with what they both see as precipitation falling onto single digit dewpoint air at the surface creating an insitu-cold air damming event on steroids. As this evaporates this will quickly drive temperatures below freezing with precipitation perhaps beginning as snow then quickly changing to freezing rain and sleet. Now your right about the synoptic setup. With no high in a good damming position to refresh the cold air latent heat release by freezing rain will likely result in a steady rise to freezing or above.

The Canadian is a perfect storm as it has more robust precipitation associated with WAA out ahead of the low thus precip begins overnight and is heavier creating significant icing. 

Both the Canadian and the GFS see very dry and still somewhat cold air right in front of his system with what they both see as precipitation falling onto single digit dewpoint air at the surface creating an insitu-cold air damming event on steroids. As this evaporates this will quickly drive temperatures below freezing with precipitation perhaps beginning as snow then quickly changing to freezing rain and sleet. Now your right about the synoptic setup. With no high in a good damming position to refresh the cold air latent heat release by freezing rain will likely result in a steady rise to freezing or above.

The Canadian is a perfect storm as it has more robust precipitation associated with WAA out ahead of the low thus precip begins overnight and is heavier creating significant icing. 

Totally agree. Extracted data shows 27/6 for KCLT the frame before precip begins. HKY is at 25/5. I would think that could create the mother of all in-situ storms. 

Looking at the 12 GFS Ensemble members on ewall from the 12z run...

Right or wrong, the ensemble members aren't quite as cold with the Sunday arctic blast (maybe that has to do with the lower resolution of the members, don't know)

For the storm, here's what I see in terms of a breakdown (mainly with a focus on NC)

Wintry Mix - 3 (members)

Wintry Mix to Rain - 3

Mainly Rain - 4

Looking at the 12 GFS Ensemble members on ewall from the 12z run...

Right or wrong, the ensemble members aren't quite as cold with the Sunday arctic blast (maybe that has to do with the lower resolution of the members, don't know)

For the storm, here's what I see in terms of a breakdown (mainly with a focus on NC)

Wintry Mix - 3 (members)

Wintry Mix to Rain - 3

Mainly Rain - 4

It looks like 3 of them are massive hits for all of the CAD area's.

Looks like we keep a snow sounding up to 174. There's a potential for 4-5" inches of snow on the ground before it even thinks about changing over. 

Looking at your analogs for no snow through January: you getting a multi-inch snow is suggested as a decent possibility at some point 2/1+ due to it being a Nino. Nino ftw?

Archived