CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the 12z Euro has a false ridge at 156hrs that simply won't be there. That is what makes this storm even happen for the SE. IMO this will likely trend north and leave the SE in the dust, if it happens. The ridge is going to be too far off the WC to make it happen for us.

I'd post maps but #1 they're all paid and #2 I'm too lazy, lol...just compare 156hrs on the 00z EPS mean, 00z Euro 12z Euro OP. It will be interesting, however, to see how many members keep a ridge for us to work with and how the 12z EPS looks...

FFC is going with the wintry mix to rain scenario atm.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
203 PM EST TUE FEB 10 2015

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...
MOST OF THE LONG TERM WILL BE DOMINATED BY A H5 TROUGH OVER THE EAST
COAST WITH A NORTHWEST FLOW OVER THE CWA. THIS WILL PUSH
TEMPERATURES BELOW NORMAL THROUGH THE LONG TERM...AND MUCH BELOW
NORMAL FOR AT LEAST THE FIRST HALF OF THE LONG TERM. TEMPS WILL DROP
WELL BELOW FREEZING THURSDAY NIGHT AS CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE SETTLES
OVER THE EASTERN U.S. AS THE HIGH SHIFTS TO THE EAST THERE WILL BE
SOME MODERATION IN TEMPERATURES THROUGH SATURDAY...BUT THEN AN
ARCTIC FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE CWA SATURDAY BRINGING THE COLDEST
TEMPS WE HAVE SEEN SINCE JAN 8 OF THIS YEAR. TEMPERATURES ON SUNDAY
WILL STRUGGLE TO REACH FREEZING ACROSS MUCH OF THE CWA FOR AFTERNOON
HIGHS. THE H5 FLOW BEGINS TO FLATTEN MONDAY ALLOWING PACIFIC AND
GULF MOISTURE TO WORK ITS WAY INTO A DEVELOPING SYSTEM THAT WILL
MOVE INTO THE CWA BEGINNING MONDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUING INTO
TUESDAY. WITH TEMPERATURES AT OR BELOW FREEZING ACROSS NORTH GA
THERE WILL LIKELY BE A MIXTURE OF RAIN/SLEET/SNOW ACROSS NORTH GA
...ESPECIALLY AT THE ONSET OF THE PRECIP...MONDAY NIGHT BUT
EVERYTHING SHOULD BECOME ALL LIQUID BY MID DAY TUESDAY.

I believe the 12z Euro has a false ridge at 156hrs that simply won't be there. That is what makes this storm even happen for the SE. IMO this will likely trend north and leave the SE in the dust, if it happens. The ridge is going to be too far off the WC to make it happen for us.

I'd post maps but #1 they're all paid and #2 I'm too lazy, lol...just compare 156hrs on the 00z EPS mean, 00z Euro 12z Euro OP. It will be interesting, however, to see how many members keep a ridge for us to work with and how the 12z EPS looks...

Jon - I would say the confluence pattern over the mid-atlantic and northeast is equally important.  If that relaxes and heights are allowed to rise over the southeast, then it's all she wrote, it goes north...we've seen it all winter to date.

Jon - I would say the confluence pattern over the mid-atlantic and northeast is equally important. If that relaxes and heights are allowed to rise over the southeast, then it's all she wrote, it goes north...we've seen it all winter to date.

Yeah I agree, it really just seems like something that won't work out in our favor, of all things. I hope it does though, just don't want anyone getting their hopes up on this look. People already asking brick to post snow maps, I can just see facebook blowing up in an hour over *possibly* nothing.

This can't happen because it would actually snow in Nashville, TN.

lol, truth.

If the monster storm off the northeast coast is there, it will try and hold the high in place longer and give the confluence needed to keep this from gaining too much latitude. It doesn't mean we can't rain though, just that we would be much closer to the snow.

From NWS@GSP Forcast Discussion

THE 10/12 UTC GLOBAL MODEL CONSENSUS IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT IN PROGGING
AN INCREASE IN MOIST LLVL UPGLIDE FLOW MONDAY NIGHT WITH THE
RESULTANT PRIMARY LOW TRACK POTENTIALLY IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THE
CWFA. GIVEN THE RESIDUAL CRITICALLY COLD AIR AND SOME DEGREE OF SLOW
TO ERODE CAD REGIME...THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A PERIOD OF WINTRY
MIX INTO TUESDAY.

Not too impressed with the EPS. There's a few good hits in there for NC but overall further NW track than OP.

At 500mb, I thought the mean looked very similar to the Op run during hr144-168.  Rough estimate, around 1/2 of the members have some snow (or wintry precip) in areas east of the mtns in NC on the clown map (at least 2 inches).  Indeed the mean was warmer at 850mb than the op run, but it was colder than the previous Ens mean (in NC damming areas)

From NWS@GSP Forcast Discussion

THE 10/12 UTC GLOBAL MODEL CONSENSUS IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT IN PROGGING

AN INCREASE IN MOIST LLVL UPGLIDE FLOW MONDAY NIGHT WITH THE

RESULTANT PRIMARY LOW TRACK POTENTIALLY IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO THE

CWFA. GIVEN THE RESIDUAL CRITICALLY COLD AIR AND SOME DEGREE OF SLOW

TO ERODE CAD REGIME...THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A PERIOD OF WINTRY

MIX INTO TUESDAY.

RAH not ready to jump on this potential at this point:

EARLY NEXT WEEK: MODELS SHOW A GRADUAL MODERATION IN THE AIRMASS

MONDAY AND TUESDAY...BUT STILL REMAINING COLDER THAN NORMAL. THIS IS

IMPORTANT AS THE LATEST GFS AND ECWMF OPERATIONAL RUNS STILL SHOW A

SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM...WITH PLENTY OF MOISTURE TRANSPORT TOWARD

OUR AREA FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO...MOVING ENE ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST

STATES DURING THIS TIME. THE MAIN CONSIDERATIONS FOR P-TYPE WILL BE

THE LOW TRACK AND POTENTIAL FOR WAA GIVEN ITS TRACK...AND THE VERY

COLD ANTECEDENT AIRMASS OVER OUR AREA. IT`S WORTH POINTING OUT THAT

MOST OF THE AVAILABLE 12Z GEFS MEMBERS SHOW A LOW TRACK TO OUR NORTH

AND WEST. SUFFICE IT TO SAY...LOTS OF DETAILS WILL NEED TO BE WORKED

OUT BETWEEN NOW AND THEN...MODEL SOLUTIONS INEVITABLY WILL CHANGE...

AND EVEN BEFORE THEN...WE`VE GOT PLENTY OF POTENTIALLY HIGH-IMPACT

WEATHER TO DEAL WITH GIVEN THIS WEEKEND`S FORECAST OF COLD AND WINDY

CONDITIONS.  STAY TUNED.

At 500mb, I thought the mean looked very similar to the Op run during hr144-168. Rough estimate, around 1/2 of the members have some snow (or wintry precip) in areas east of the mtns in NC on the clown map (at least 2 inches). Indeed the mean was warmer at 850mb than the op run, but it was colder than the previous Ens mean (in NC damming areas)

I was surprised to see the main cluster, thus the mean, was in Ohio. I was hoping for the apps at the least.

With this setup I have a feeling it won't be cutting north and west. Cold has tended to stick around and be stronger for longer durations than models have shown. With this coming on the heels of a big arctic front and then one incoming it's a bit of a game changer. Bigger issue for me is if that wave keeps getting weaker the further we go along in time. I think this is our first real chance. 

I was surprised to see the main cluster, thus the mean, was in Ohio. I was hoping for the apps at the least.

Yeah, but the main focus here would likely be overrunning precip into the cold dome (wintry mix) as opposed to a track well south and all snow.  1st order of business is getting the cold dome to hold.

The 12z EPS mean snowfall is much better than past runs.

Was just about to post that. I think its the most snow I've seen on the EPS means so far this year at least across North and South Carolina with the 4" contour from GSP through CLT to RDU. Maybe this winter will be like the Panthers season; suck all year then get hot enough to be memorable at the end.

Looking at our storm next week though its not exactly what I would like to see. Alot of members with lows up north then jumping to off the Mid-Atlantic coast. Boston would probably score again with that setup.

Was just about to post that. I think its the most snow I've seen on the EPS means so far this year at least across North and South Carolina with the 4" contour from GSP through CLT to RDU. Maybe this winter will be like the Panthers season; suck all year then get hot enough to be memorable at the end.

Looking at our storm next week though its not exactly what I would like to see. Alot of members with lows up north then jumping to off the Mid-Atlantic coast. Boston would probably score again with that setup.

If the cold and dp's are as modeled, I think we could still score with some miller B shenanigans , this is not your avg cold shot! Lots of things to watch!

Archived