joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if its even worth posting anything past 200 hrs anymore...

This is a weather board so we will talk about fantasy storms, but we should be veterans at knowing when to get truly excited.  At this point most my focus may go to late this week. NAM and GFS show some precip (maybe snow) for eastern NC. Maybe a surprise minor event???

This map is showing 250mb zonal wind anomalies for Jan into early Feb.  Lol, no wonder these cutoffs keep spinning over the southwest as the jet level winds there have been weaker than average.  There are above avg winds there just north of Hawaii along 30N, but across N America we have the opposite of what we would like to see.  That is, we have below normal winds from Baja into the Gulf of Mexico (weaker than normal southern stream there) and above normal winds across southern Canada to southern Greenland (characteristic of +AO/+NAO).

Those winds are finally reversing as evident by the recent east based -NAO that's being driven by the resurgent NINO upper level signature.

NAO-index-Feb-9-2015-1024x1024.png

This is consequently inducing the formation of a persistent, cold core gyre in eastern Canada that's forcing massive anticyclonic wave breaking events in the North Atlantic, as is climatologically favored during a +ENSO February, in essence, leading to substantial height rises over Greenland/Iceland that are projecting onto the teleconnection indices...

Just to clarify, in the zonal wind anomaly images blues & purples (reds, oranges, yellows) in the mid latitudes specifically are indicative of anomalous easterly (westerly) winds, (for example, stronger easterlies aloft in the North Atlantic (indicated by yellow, orange, & red hues)= stronger pressure gradient between the Icelandic Vortex & the Azores-Bermuda subtropical high, hence a higher (+) NAO index & vis versa)

N hem anomalous 250mb zonal winds January 1-February 7

Jan-1-Feb-7-2015-250mb-Zonal-Wind-Anomal

N hem anomalous 250mb zonal winds February 1-7

250mb-Zonal-Wind-Anomalies-N-Hem-Feb-1-7

N hem 500mb January 1-February 7 2015

Jan-1-Feb-7-2015-N-hem-500mb.gif

N hem 500mb January 1-February 7 2015

Feb-1-7-2015-N-Hem-500mb.gif

The eastern hemisphere/Indian Ocean tropical forcing earlier in the winter, along w/ some destructive solar interference to EP flux, and of course the minor mid-winter SSWE that only displaced the PV & forced a substantial piece into N America, likely inertially stabilized the Hudson Bay Vortex, and if @ least one these conditions were more conducive, we'd currently be under a substantial -NAO regime given the ferocity of the North Atlantic Anticyclonic Wave Breaking... The massive Maritime Continent-West Pacific MJO pulse back in January not only reconfigured the upper level tropical circulation to rid of the dateline upper level convergence, but the coincident, & anomalous upper level westerlies poleward of the active tropical convective center also caused a poleward shift in the anomalous -AAM. Now, we're looking @ what's a generally favorable AAM signature for high-latitude blocking, however I suspect the sensible effects may not be fully felt (in terms of a -AO/NAO) until the jet wavelengths shorten further (i.e. in March)...

Global-AAM-Feb-7-2015.png

If even half of the potential 10 day storm threats verified we would have been pushing snow totals in feet and be feeling new englands pain. Don't think I have ever seen the models as bad as they have been this year. A lot of model runs on what seems to be almost a daily basis can be showing a 180 degree complete opposite of what it was just showing a few hours earlier. Model mayhem to say the least... Mets really have to work hard to earn their money these days and my hat goes to you folks!

As stated above the NAM and GFS have some precip for eastern NC. Most likely this will trend dryer as we get closer but still something to monitor.  

12 GFS shows a dusting to a half inch from Raleigh eastward:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2015&model_mm=02&model_dd=09&model_init_hh=12&fhour=84&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

Looks like we may have to break out the Arctic Attack Thread II. I know some of y'all just love the sound of that.

I want to get through 12z Tuesday before creating it. The initial blast looks respectable for the SoApps starting Thursday Night. Round 2 on Sunday is just rediculous cold region wide

Looks like we may have to break out the Arctic Attack Thread II. I know some of y'all just love the sound of that.

I want to get through 12z Tuesday before creating it. The initial blast looks respectable for the SoApps starting Thursday Night. Round 2 on Sunday is just rediculous cold region wide

Yeah first blast looks like maybe some 0 degree nights but the second blast is off the chain cold.

All models are really impressive with these cold shots coming up. Altogether this could be one of the more impressive feb cold periods we have seen in quite some time. fwiw, the euro does have some light freezing rain around hour 192 for north ga.

The canadian has the -20c isotherm down into south georgia with the gfs down to savannah. that's crazy stuff.

TT_GZ_UU_VV_144_0850.gif

Even mexico is not spared on the canadian.  It has -10c 850mb temps making it into northern mexico at day 10. I've never seen the 0c isotherm this far south on the canadian. Surface temps around the rio grande go from near 90 on day 9 to the low to mid 20s. by the morning of day 10.I know this is day 10 and probably won't hold but it just goes to show you the potential of the airmass over north america during this range. To see such widespread freezing temps over mexico is pretty crazy

TT_TT_PN_240_0000.gif

TT_GZ_UU_VV_240_0850.gif

12z runs of GFS/CMC/Euro have similar look - each with temps dropping fast Sat night, then high temps in the 20's here on Sunday.  Western U.S. ridging retrogrades into far east Pacific and up through Alaska after the weekend cold shot

12z runs of GFS/CMC/Euro have similar look - each with temps dropping fast Sat night, then high temps in the 20's here on Sunday.  Western U.S. ridging retrogrades into far east Pacific and up through Alaska after the weekend cold shot

Thoughts on winter threats for us? With the cold I feel like something will eventually run into it, but seems like we get cold, rain, then cold again.

Thoughts on winter threats for us? With the cold I feel like something will eventually run into it, but seems like we get cold, rain, then cold again.

Hard to beat the CRMHFM this winter (Cold Rain Model Hindcast Forecasting Method) this winter...i.e. poster Cold Rain says progged western ridges will be beaten down.  I don't know, strong western ridging has to come thru and/or well-timed transient -NAO.

Hard to beat the CRMHFM this winter (Cold Rain Model Hindcast Forecasting Method) this winter...i.e. poster Cold Rain says progged western ridges will be beaten down.  I don't know, strong western ridging has to come thru and/or well-timed transient -NAO.

LOL, nice....agreed, not impossible but yet it sure seems that way.

I'm going to go ahead and say with the models coming together on the extreme highs diving south we're not going to get any snow (outside of some flurries in NC on back end of a northern stream dominated system) in the next 10 days. So I'm accepting the cold and denying the snow until the 19th-20th+

Some Fish-Thoughts!

426856_10151225415545724_1811994702_n.jp

UPDATE! This could be one of those rare times where the long range models were on to something, but before you get too excited, let's take a more detailed look at this. There are growing signs of two pretty intense arctic shots: one Friday and perhaps an even more impressive one Sunday. The Sunday outbreak could easily result in a high temperatures in the low to mid 20s with lows near 10. Here's the bad news though. Not only is it unlikely to snow while it's that cold, it could be in the 40s with rain within 48 hours of that extreme cold occurring. As Jimmy V said, don't ever give up, but this just doesn't seem to be our year when it comes to snow, and the clock is ticking big time!

Archived