CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will ask this question again since the GFS tonight is throwing out some stupid cold... Should I trust what it's trying to tell us for late next week?

It keeps insisting on it the last few runs I've seen. A modified version of it perhaps... but I just don't see it getting that cold. But hey, lots of surprises this winter.

Fwiw, the 6Z GFS spits out a sig snow (1-4") for many on 2/17 (day 10) between cold shots as a low comes in from TX. It isn't quite a Miller A/GOM low, but it isn't real far off. What we'd need is more digging to the west/moist WSW 500 mb flow as opposed to drier W flow to actually get a classic, widespread major SE SN. Of course, many would likely be quite pleased with what this is verbatim, which is about as sig a SN as most can get without a Miller A or cutoff. This reminds me of the repeated Arctic high after high in Jan 1977 pattern though not as cold in the SE. It also was a weak Niño. That year featured a non-Gulf SN between cold shots similar to this prog. The best case is when the SE is only scraped with the bottom of these highs, which is actually more conducive to sig SN than a series of highs whose center plunges deep into the SE bringing long periods of stupid cold

Keep in mind that longterm (135 years) ATL climo suggests 2/10-18 as the best shot at a major SN/IP at ATL and at least nearby SE locations. The great winter of 1894-5 had a whopping 13" of SN, the most on record. Yet, the vast majority of it fell from 2 majors between 2/11 & 2/16! That wasn't even a Niño. Niño climo tends to favor Feb-Mar SN more for niño than others. One of only two winters with 3 major storms, 1959-60, had about all of its wintry in Mar! 1978-9 had both of its majors 2/7-18! It matters very little that most have had no wintry to speak of so far. The correlation isn't high in the SE. None of us have a crystal ball. So, keep faith in the flakes/pingers to keep James happy. ;)

Of the course the GFS has crazy cold and the euro says not so much as it keeps the brutal cold in the NE.

Yet, it also has a non-Gulf wintry threat for late 2/16-2/17 similar to the last two GFS runs fwiw. It is better that the stupid cold not plunge deeply down as that often keeps it too dry. It is better that the center of a BIG high drift near the OH valley still giving the SE ample cold while we get most WSW 500 mb flow overrunning the surface cold & a Miller A. That's the best recipe for a widespread SE major SN. This is still a possibility with a pattern similar to what is progged.

Yet, it also has a non-Gulf wintry threat for late 2/16-2/17 similar to the last two GFS runs fwiw. It is better that the stupid cold not plunge deeply down as that often keeps it too dry. It is better that the center of a BIG high drift near the OH valley still giving the SE ample cold while we get most WSW 500 mb flow overrunning the surface cold & a Miller A. That's the best recipe for a widespread SE major SN. This is still a possibility with a pattern similar to what is progged.

Just looked at the models. You just know the models are overdoing it, but man that's some serious and long lasting cold on the GFS, especially the 6z!

we need the trough axis to setup along the Mississippi, not new England. That crap has gotten old.

The 12Z EPS concurs with a 2/16-7 wintry threat fwiw and is similar to the 0Z EPS but colder (some NC/TN SN but still lots of ZR/IP CAD areas ). QPF is ~0.50", a sig. amount, especially for a more northern stream system as opposed to Miller.

The 12Z EPS concurs with a 2/16-7 wintry threat fwiw and is similar to the 0Z EPS but colder (some NC/TN SN but still lots of ZR/IP CAD areas ). QPF is ~0.50", a sig. amount, especially for a more northern stream system as opposed to Miller.

Yeah, looks to be two camps, not surprisingly, Oh-V/Apps runners and SE coastals. 

What it's spitting out for cold after day 5 through the end of the run is insane, matches up with the GFS.

post-2311-0-34031500-1423343469_thumb.pn

Oh Hell it does not take a Red Tagger to know that will change 8 times in 15 days.. Everyone is getting cranky because it has not snowed. I get it. But the 1st snow last year was Jan 29th So let see how it plays out...

Oh yes, So we can do this in the same place next year,  How about we lite up the donation board, It's lQQking a lil DIM... And a little light on what we need we are only half way to what is needed to keep this ALIVE..

Oh yes, So we can do this in the same place next year,  How about we lite up the donation board, It's lQQking a lil DIM... And a little light on what we need we are only half way to what is needed to keep this ALIVE..

Amen, brother, sister, aunt, uncle and everyone else ....

Don't shoot me as I'm just a friendly messenger. So, please put the guns (and knives) away. That having been said, the 0Z GFS appears to be coming in significantly warmer than the prior three runs for around 2/15-6. That's not what I wanted to see at all. Let's see where this leads.

Don't shoot me as I'm just a friendly messenger. So, please put the guns (and knives) away. That having been said, the 0Z GFS appears to be coming in significantly warmer than the prior three runs for around 2/15-6. That's not what I wanted to see at all. Let's see where this leads.

What about the means? from what I can see on the 18z gefs and it's members, we shouldn't be worried...?

Archived