CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAH did mention that there could be some light flurries tomorrow morning; but they thought the odds where low enough not to add to the forecast grids:

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 300 AM WEDNESDAY...

SFC COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THE NORTHERN STREAM S/W PROJECTED TO
CROSS CENTRAL NC EARLY THURSDAY. N-NW FLOW WILL ADVECT A COLDER AND
DRIER AIR MASS INTO OUR REGION. THIS SHOULD LEAD TO RAPID
DISSIPATION OF THE CLOUD COVER THURSDAY MORNING NW-SE. WRF MODELS
SUGGEST  A NARROW BAND OF PRECIP WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE MID LEVEL
TROUGH THURSDAY MORNING. WHILE MOISTURE PROFILES LOOK TOO DEFICIENT
TO SUPPORT PRECIP...IT WILL BE COLD ENOUGH ALOFT TO SUPPORT A BRIEF
SNOW FLURRY OR TWO ACROSS THE NORTHERN PIEDMONT. HOWEVER...THE
CHANCE OF THIS OCCURRENCE APPEARS TOO LIMITED TO MENTION IN THE
FORECAST AT THIS TIME.

LOW LEVEL COLD AIR ADVECTION WILL RESULT IN A DIURNAL TEMPERATURE
RECOVERY OF 8-10 DEGREES. HIGHS TEMPS THU LOWER 40S NW TO NEAR 50
SE. NW WINDS WILL AID AN ADDITIONAL BIT TO THE AIR WITH GUSTS AROUND
25 MPH HIGHLY PROBABLE.

THURSDAY NIGHT...MODIFIED ARCTIC HIGH WILL SETTLE INTO OUR REGION.
THIS WEATHER FEATURE WILL AID TO DIMINISH THE SFC WINDS BY LATE
EVENING. THE COLD AND DRY AIR MASS WILL ALLOW FOR PRIME NOCTURNAL
COOLING CONDITIONS...LEADING TO MIN TEMPS IN THE 15-20 DEGREE RANGE.

6z highe resolution NAM simulated radar:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam-hires%2F06%2Fnam-hires_namer_033_sim_reflectivity.gif&model=nam-hires&area=namer&storm=&cycle=06&param=sim_reflectivity&fhr=033&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150204+06+UTC&ps=model&use_mins=no&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

LOL...Nah, not this year.  It's just going to sit around Baja and spin for a while.  It actually goes southwest to get the favorite spot for the closed lows this season.

Imagine that  :lol:   The Baja is a great vacation spot for lows this year  :P 

Please maintain faith in the flakes.  The flakes will never fail you, except most of the time.

BTW, 00z UKMET at hr 144, FWIW:

yay!! rain!   :rambo:  

Past hour 300, there is a ice/snow storm just for you.

Wooo hooo! Another fantasy clipper storm!  :ph34r:

The 9+ day period still looks the best it's been all winter, although not a superb winter pattern for us, but still better than anything we saw in Dec/Jan.  If this comes to fruition we are going to trip and fall in to a few flakes...I do fully expect BOS to make a run at a 100" for the season.

Just for comparison sakes I also posted the 5 day cold spell we had in Jan and how it differs greatly from the models are progged for now...

Edit:  Only worry is losing the ridging over the pole, all winter that's been beaten down, if that happens it's more of the same crap we have seen the past 7-10 days.

post-2311-0-25786400-1423084851_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-76328700-1423084857_thumb.pn

Pack, lower heights across the southern tier is good news for precip chances...if it verifies. How awesome would it be to see some reds showing up over Greenland? I guess we'll have to wait till April and May for that.

Hopefully, we'll see that pattern lock in the rest of the winter. If not, the shutout* continues. My traceman is looking pretty bad.

Pack, lower heights across the southern tier is good news for precip chances...if it verifies. How awesome would it be to see some reds showing up over Greenland? I guess we'll have to wait till April and May for that.

Yep, the higher heights south/east of us in January sucked for getting snow here, finally that should change.  Unfortunately when the pattern does change it will be mid-Feb and will leave us realistic at most 3 weeks, after the first few days of March it gets really tough to get snow here.  Last winter was a great example, we had 33F and rain while SuperJames is racking it up.  It's not a big snow pattern so we can still get a 1-3" event and the winter will still suck big time, so we got that going for us.

I'm all in for the 13-15th! Per 18z GFS! It's not there yet, but that moisture in TX is probably going to not get squashed and that monster high may have something diving due south and pop something in the gulf or form a low along that arctic front! Just something to watch, with nothing else going on!

I'm all in for the 13-15th! Per 18z GFS! It's not there yet, but that moisture in TX is probably going to not get squashed and that monster high may have something diving due south and pop something in the gulf or form a low along that arctic front! Just something to watch, with nothing else going on!

meh! It's either 35 and rain or 25 and sunny. Rain followed by cold followed by more rain.

It looks like the trough axis on the 0Z Euro will likely end up being a little further west than the 12Z though it would still remain to be seen if that would allow more moisture interaction late in the run as the Arctic high comes down to the north (unlikely but a nice baby step),

It still didn't allow for moisture in the SE though it is a good bit colder and there is a nice -NAO. To show how cold it is, it has NYC with a high on 2/13 of only near 10 and a low on 2/14 below 0! If anything it is sometimes warm biased at 2M. Could easily be record cold for much of the NE.

On day 10, one can see a 2nd Arctic high starting to come down from N Canada with help from a -NAO.

Models look cold and dry in the long range....ironically we get some blocking....but it's a dry clipperfest. Trough is in the wrong place.  Idn't grand? <_<

Yep next 10 days will be dry, models are hinting around at more activity after the 15th. The lack of rain is much welcomed at this point.

The lack of rain showing up is bothersome. I'm afraid the rubber band is getting ready to snap right as growing season is approaching. You can definetly see the spigot has been turned off. We are due a hot dry summer, been escaping them for the most part the past few years.

But we would go into spring with abundant ground moisture and filled reservoirs. Most bad droughts start with a dry winter. Now if we continue to be dry for the next 12 months, 2016 could be very bad. And I do agree "we're due"    

But we would go into spring with abundant ground moisture and filled reservoirs. Most bad droughts start with a dry winter. Now if we continue to be dry for the next 12 months, 2016 could be very bad. And I do agree "we're due"

Deserves banter "my comment" but i agree were way over due last summer was awesome, not to hot but good outdoor weather. I had my doubts at first with the new gfs. But here lately its starting to grab my attention.

But we would go into spring with abundant ground moisture and filled reservoirs. Most bad droughts start with a dry winter. Now if we continue to be dry for the next 12 months, 2016 could be very bad. And I do agree "we're due"    

It hasn't been wet here.  I've only had 2.49" since Jan 1.  A good soaker would be beneficial.

That looks nice, Pack....  D11, though, but I'm all-in...  :axe:

I see you must have renewed your subscriptions, too. :lol:

The EPS control run cuts the D11 storm to Indiana, but has a decent ice storm for N NC before going over to rain, BTW.  It then transfers off of the Delmarva and annihilates the NE.

Yep, we are playing with fire with the +NAO, need good timing as always. But with the trough axis east I am hoping that helps. I could easily see this cutting. With roughly 2 weeks of winter left when this potential comes about this may be it.

Archived