Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 5th SWFE Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Craig Allen for the scoast peeps

Serious situation developing.. All warming and northward push of warming has stopped as 2ndary storm develops off Delaware coast. It is pulling cold air back down.

>2-6" of snow on ground and up to 1 foot up towards I-84

>changed to sleet then freezing rain. .10 to .40" of ice on limbs

and power lines so far.

>As column cools once again due to northerly flow in more layers

of the atmosphere due to dvlp'g 2ndary, freezing rain is rapidly changing back to sleet.

>If you were lucky enough to get a brief break and see blacktop and you got this brief burst of confidence to hit the icy slush, it will be re-covered by sleet/ice pellets over next hour. Radar shows heavy sleet moving southwest to northeast up through NJ into NYVC and LI then HV and CT. So it will be like layer upon layer of different forms of wintry hazards. It could even change back to snow in some areas before ending. Don't be surprised by some thunder as 2ndary takes over and intensifies.

>The intensity of the precip will taper down towards and after lunchtime

>I have received dozens and dozens of pictures of trees breaking and power lines with heavy ice so be prepared.

>By me, even right on the south shore of LI, it has changed back to sleet. Trees are crackling with every gust of wind. The back steps are like the superbowl toboggan ride that was in midtown.

Been a tiny particle, straight down affair the whole way in Ayer.  Just over 7" by eye-ball method.  I'll get around to measuring closer to the end.  It's an easy measure because I had virtually no snow left on the ground prior to the onset of this puppy.  

All and all, nice upper end moderate snow storm in progress.  Beautiful up along rt 2 (as you all have advertised...), with zippo p-type contention and the winter weather enthusiasts dream.  It's cottage by the fire-place with a hot tottie and/or hottie in general, type of day out of doors. 

Having made that imagery ... the ideal winter storm for the winter weather enthusiast is not so much the epicosity of the storm itself, but whether during, there is another to look forward too.  We had that for a few days, but unfortunately, the recent various models have really backed away from the late weekend system.  

I would not give up on that system altogether.  00z Euro has a stripe of light to moderate steady snow in there despite the pall look to the PP.  It is possible that something has been missing in the grid, initially as of late, and how often have we seen systems get dumped, only to come roaring back in the short term.  

I also suspect that just like most years, there will be the inevitable storm on the charts around that fercockta bs holiday known as V-day

Been a tiny particle, straight down affair the whole way in Ayer.  Just over 7" by eye-ball method.  I'll get around to measuring closer to the end.  It's an easy measure because I had virtually no snow left on the ground prior to the onset of this puppy.  

All and all, nice upper end moderate snow storm in progress.  Beautiful up along rt 2 (as you all have advertised...), with zippo p-type contention and the winter weather enthusiasts dream.  It's cottage by the fire-place with a hot tottie and/or hottie in general, type of day out of doors. 

Having made that imagery ... the ideal winter storm for the winter weather enthusiast is not so much the epicosity of the storm itself, but whether during, there is another to look forward too.  We had that for a few days, but unfortunately, the recent various models have really backed away from the late weekend system.  

I would not give up on that system altogether.  00z Euro has a stripe of light to moderate steady snow in there despite the pall look to the PP.  It is possible that something has been missing in the grid, initially as of late, and how often have we seen systems get dumped, only to come roaring back in the short term.  

I also suspect that just like most years, there will be the inevitable storm on the charts around that fercockta bs holiday known as V-day

:lol:

Archived