joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 5th SWFE Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see the snow/sleet line better on OKX radar even though it's on the edge of OKX's radar range... It basically runs up just barely north of 84 in CT then along the MA/RI border due east to around the south border of 128.

Edit: you can correlate the BOX line and OKX line in the images below.

attachicon.gifBOX.N0C.20140205.1426.gif

attachicon.gifOKX.N0C.20140205.1428.gif

Much better, thanks

some jacks as of 844am:

Connecticut

... Hartford County... 
   Burlington 7.5 720 am 2/05 trained spotter 
   Simsbury 7.4 737 am 2/05 ham radio 

... Tolland County... 
   Coventry 8.0 821 am 2/05 trained spotter 
   Somers 7.8 819 am 2/05 trained spotter 

Massachusetts

... Hampden County... 
   Ludlow 8.0 818 am 2/05 trained spotter 
   Holyoke 7.5 759 am 2/05 ham radio 

... Worcester County... 
   Webster 6.6 829 am 2/05 ham radio 
   North Worcester 6.0 841 am 2/05 ham radio 
   Spencer 6.0 814 am 2/05 ham radio 

see a couple posts before... i posted a CC image... not totally sure where the line is but i'm guessing between arrows A-C

you can see there is no real  dry slot really racing up from SW ....radar looks to get heavier around long island and the push is more W-E than the typical SW-NE ....so what i'm saying is dry slot is  pushing more ENE and echoes are "struggling" to get "heavy"  N of Pike (and esp rte 2) compared to S of pike....after a quick 3 hr thump from 530-830am thou i think they will get hvy up to route 2 in next hour. thou not sure about S NH 

to me radar is behaving more like a low going WSW-ENE just S of Long island than a "typcial SWFE" or at least a hybrid .

You did call it.

Glad for everyone N&W we had a good little event here Monday but everyone seems to be forgetting the Cape climo in these events.  No warning was needed and really we probably didn't even meet advisory criteria.  Two things always seem to happen and back when Walt Drag was here he'd hit it all the time:

1.  There seems to be a bit of a dry intrusion which delays onset here 1-1.5 hours vs places much further NW.  That chops off 1-4"

2.  It always warms up faster by 1-2 hours.  Chips another 1-3" off

At 8 or so it looked like most of this area had 2" per the PNS....

My part of Newport only had around 2 to 2.5 inches.  The straight snow essentially stopped falling at 630 but mixed with light sleet till 9am during the dryslot/letup in precip. The intensity is increasing and it's currently a mix of freezing rain and sleet.  I'm surprised we're still below freezing.  Usually with events like this we spike to the mid 30s.

Archived