joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that never got big, fat, flakes, minus one time in the original band?

I did see a few fatties in the original band way back at 11am but since then it has been very small flakes falling thickly.

I seem to be one half inch behind your totals so far. How much do you have?

23/22, about ~2"...will try to get a better measurement..sticking easily everywhere...snow intensity picking way up after a quasi-lull...I'm a happy camper...hoping for 1-2" more

I'm at 2.25 and think another 2"  is a decent bet with the stuff now enhances back towards warrenton. The RAP actually gave me .10" after 00Z.  We'll see.  

I did see a few fatties in the original band way back at 11am but since then it has been very small flakes falling thickly.

I seem to be one half inch behind your totals so far. How much do you have?

A little more then 3", probably nearing on 3.5" since I'm in this exploding DC area of heavier precip. With fat flakes it would be an inch an hour, probably 1/2 that at this moment.

I'm at 2.25 and think another 2" is a decent bet with the stuff now enhances back towards warrenton. The RAP actually gave me .10" after 00Z. We'll see.

Seems you and me are neck and neck with totals. I can only hope recent radar returns get us to 4". Would be happy with that...mostly

What makes the flakes faster and why hasn't it happened for much of our area?

Flakes probably fall at the same rate in general.  Heavier precip is just more flakes, not specifically flakes that are falling faster.  

How do you get heavier rates?  strong bands and saturation of the clouds.  

Much of MD, especially to the north, has had heavy snow since at least noon or so.

Radar looks great for the I-95 area.  Don't abandon all hope down in EZF.  Radar is filling in from the SW. 

is it me or does that trough look a little further south than modeled (maybe it's just the way it's presented, idk)

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=US&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20140121&endTime=-1&duration=4

Archived