• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

Here is a better-validated technique: select three locations on your property, best if the are away from trees and buildings.

If placing a yardstick onto the ground, don't force it too far or leave an airgap.

Just did this.

location 1 was 7 1/4"

location 2 was 7"

location3 was 8 1/4"

so 7 1/2" would be a good estimate. The wind has really made it hard. There are parts of the yard where you can see the top of the grass and parts that gave me close to that 9" measurement.

And it is still snowing lightly.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made it home in 80 minutes (normally a 35 min trip). 695 was slushy (outer loop was worse than inner loop----probably something to do with Martin O' Malley :) . 70 was snow covered in most spots and very slick. Experienced bands of heavy snow and very low visibility punctuated by areas of lighter precip along the ride on 70 west. Side roads are treacherous. All in all, the saving grace was the light traffic volume. Fun storm and hopefully more to come. Catch you at Jilly's next time :).

MDstorm

Nice write up!  Glad that you're home safely.  I hate that commute and have always found it amusing that we are backwards when it comes to home and work.  Jilly's anytime.  :)

Just did this.

location 1 was 7 1/4"

location 2 was 7"

location3 was 8 1/4"

so 7 1/2" would be a good estimate. The wind has really made it hard. There are parts of the yard where you can see the top of the grass and parts that gave me close to that 9" measurement.

And it is still snowing lightly.

As long as you didn't make a special effort to bias the measurements, I would go with it.

Just got in from shoveling and taking a trip to the store.

When shoveling the stuff on the bottom was a little soggy. Top is fine powder.

Roads were not good AWD was kickin in here and there....though no need to turn on 4WD. Also worth noting... people can not drive (but you knew that). Snowplow almost ran into the side of me (private contractor).

Upon my return, driveway and sidewalk was white again.... but that was occurring while I was shoveling, so no surprise there.

Hard to give total accumulation amounts ..... to much blowing and drifting. Lot's of white smoke.

It is cold. Next time I will wear gloves to shovel. Down to 21 degrees here.

Wow. NAM has the .5 tickling NE DC it looks like. Everyone should see 3 more inches at least?

Archived