joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Obs thread II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flakes probably fall at the same rate in general.  Heavier precip is just more flakes, not specifically flakes that are falling faster.  

How do you get heavier rates?  strong bands and saturation of the clouds.  

Much of MD, especially to the north, has had heavy snow since at least noon or so.

I think he might be asking about flake formation and why we didn't get bigger flakes.  It's a good question.   I thought we see dendrites which tend to try to clump together but lack of cloud water may have hindered that along with winds.  Winds tend to knock flakes together and can fracture them.  The smaller flakes take way from the fluff factor. 

Seems you and me are neck and neck with totals. I can only hope recent radar returns get us to 4". Would be happy with that...mostly

I'd be happy too though I expected more as I didn't see the falkes being so puny and also kind of thought the GFS might have it over the NAM.   The road in front of my house has enough snow to have little mini ruts.  

I'd be happy too though I expected more as I didn't see the falkes being so puny and also kind of thought the GFS might have it over the NAM.   The road in front of my house has enough snow to have little mini ruts.  

there is quite a bit of drifting here, even on main arteries...I'm enjoying the storm..curious what the evening brings...I figure we are good for 4 more hours and anything after that is bonus

Archived