Toothache
May 2013 Obs/Banter/Complaining/Sarcasm

Ellinwood

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I take it you want it warmer?

Look at the climo for month, running slightly ABOVE normal. LOL

You do understand warm and cold days make the averages don't you?

In a couple days you will be on here rejoicing in the 90's while I and

others swelter...but I promise not to call you an idiot.

So were you wearing shorts or a parka? If it was neither, I promise not to call you an idiot.

:lol:

Interesting afternoon today. Looked outside earlier to notice a huge swarm of bees flying through the front yard and then settled on a limb in the top of our dogwood tree. At first I thought they were yellowjackets, but later found out they were honey bees. So we looked around online for someone who does beekeeping and actually found someone only a mile or two from our house. He came out and it ended up being a 4-5 hour process getting them from the tree to the box hive. He estimated there were about 30,000 of them. Quite interesting and learned a lot about honey bees I hadn't known before. He was nice enough to bring us some honey and told us he'll bring us some from this hive once they produce.

Interesting afternoon today. Looked outside earlier to notice a huge swarm of bees flying through the front yard and then settled on a limb in the top of our dogwood tree. At first I thought they were yellowjackets, but later found out they were honey bees. So we looked around online for someone who does beekeeping and actually found someone only a mile or two from our house. He came out and it ended up being a 4-5 hour process getting them from the tree to the box hive. He estimated there were about 30,000 of them. Quite interesting and learned a lot about honey bees I hadn't known before. He was nice enough to bring us some honey and told us he'll bring us some from this hive once they produce.

Honey bees are fascinating. Interesting thing happened to me about two weeks ago. I had gone running and was walking about 3/4 mile back to my truck on this gravel country road. I had my head down looking at my phone and noticed movement out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up I was walking right through a honey bee swarm. I had some experience with these and I knew there was no danger as long as I didn't mash one so I just kept walking slowly. There were thousands of them and they were all around me. The queen had their interest though, not me. I guess it was a queen that had them swarming. It will get your heart beating though.

She looks hot...in a Wahabbistic kind of way.

I'd post a picture of you and Chill in your nuthuggers, but this is a family site...I think.

I considered hangin at the pool with my new candy apple red Speedo but decided to knock out the big chore list around the house. Tomorrow might be too hot to leave the house but that's probably better than causing temporary blindness with my half my neighborhood.

That's pretty cool. I just read in the paper a few weeks ago that local produce will suffer (I think they said pumpkins?) because of a lack of honey bees. You might have saved a few pumpkins yesterday!

Just be (bee?) glad you have them around, lots being lost and farmers worried about getting things pollinated. I had what looked like a cross between yellow jackets and honey bees? attack my hummingbird feeders last year, couldn't see the feeders there  so many on them! Only took about two hours and every bit of food was gone from both feeders.

That's pretty cool. I just read in the paper a few weeks ago that local produce will suffer (I think they said pumpkins?) because of a lack of honey bees. You might have saved a few pumpkins yesterday!

It's not just a local problem, either. Bees have been dung off all around the world over the past few years or more. Scientists don't yet have a reason for it, but it's certainly one or a combination of parasites, disease, or pesticides. It's pretty awful, to be honest.

Great day outside objectively. Still too chilly for memorial day in the MA. Terrible water sports weekend and grilling weather due to wind and cold. Today was nice though for daytime deck beer drinking and yard work. Looking forward to hotter days and warm nights for deck drinking in shorts after dinner. Warmer days ahead!

Below normal on the month (barely) at all 3 airports again after yesterday.  Will be above normal on the month though once the heat arrives for the mid-late week period. 

A nice even +1.0 for DCA will be just fine for me, heck NYC can join with same if they wish. 

Little chill in air this am, was 39 when I left for work at 6 am.

Archived