• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2013 Obs/Banter/Complaining/Sarcasm

Ellinwood

Oh man don't tell me I have to cover my veggies again.

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOKNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC803 AM EDT FRI MAY 24 2013MDZ003>005-009-010-501-502-VAZ025>031-036>040-042-050-051-501>504-WVZ050>053-055-501>506-251000-WASHINGTON-FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-CENTRAL AND EASTERN ALLEGANY-AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-FREDERICK VA-PAGE-WARREN-CLARKE-NELSON-ALBEMARLE-GREENE-MADISON-RAPPAHANNOCK-LOUDOUN-ORANGE-CULPEPER-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-SOUTHERN FAUQUIER-WESTERN HIGHLAND-EASTERN HIGHLAND-HAMPSHIRE-MORGAN-BERKELEY-JEFFERSON-HARDY-WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-EASTERN MINERAL-WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-803 AM EDT FRI MAY 24 2013THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA...NORTHERN AND CENTRAL VIRGINIA...AND CENTRAL AND WESTERN MARYLANDWITH THE EXCEPTION OF GARRETT COUNTY..DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHTA FREEZE WARNING IS IN EFFECT LATE TONIGHT FOR HIGHER ELEVATIONSOF THE ALLEGHENY HIGHLANDS..DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAYNO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME..SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is true of everyone.  I like warmth in the late spring and summer months, because frankly, there are fewer of those than there are cooler months.  October through April are generally cool to cold.  There are pleasant days in October, but the days are getting short for outdoor activities.  And in April, we often have cutoffs, or days of clouds.  So, there are really only 5 months where it can be truly warm.  To have even more of that time taken away by anomalous cold (like today) really sucks.  I took today off from work, but I may as well be working today, because it's just not comfortable outside.  The average is near 80 degrees, so it being 53 degrees with a wind chill in the 40s... well, you can probably understand where I come from.  :-)

I get it that you like warmth, for whatever reason that makes no sense in my mind, but to state that warmth only occurs in 5 months here is just inaccurate.  The fact is it's a lot easier to be warm here than it is cold.  It can hit 70 around here in any winter month, and you'll find a lot more of those days in winter (when the temps are 20+ above average) than you'll find 65F days during mid-summer (or today's mid 50s in late May).

LzD3Ker.jpg

My wife took this yesterday evening at Martins in Stephens City looking ESE around 5:15 PM.  Does this look like a wall cloud to anyone more familiar with severe wx clouds?  I believe that the cell which briefly carried the tornado warning was already north of this, as it had just finished storming in S.C, but dang this looks sinister.

A handful of days of average highs in the 60s doesn't equate to a warm month for pretty much anyone. I'd argue that, once highs start averaging in the 50s, almost no one thinks it's warm.

When it hits 50 from late November to early March, I think it is disgustingly, sickenly warm.

NWS Blacksburg just added my county to the freeze warning-

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA957 PM EDT FRI MAY 24 2013...FREEZING TEMPERATURES EXPECTED LATE TONIGHT....WINDS WILL SLOWLY DIMINISH OVERNIGHT AS HIGH PRESSURE GRADUALLYBUILDS IN FROM THE NORTHWEST TOWARD DAYBREAK. AN UNSEASONABLYCOLD AIRMASS WILL SEND TEMPERATURES DOWN INTO THE 30S ACROSS THEMOUNTAINS LATE TONIGHT. SOME AREAS WILL EXPERIENCE FREEZINGTEMPERATURES WITH LOWS BRIEFLY DIPPING INTO THE UPPER 20S ACROSSTHE DEEPER VALLEYS AND ALONG THE HIGHER NORTHWEST RIDGES.VAZ007-018-019-WVZ042-251000-/O.EXA.KRNK.FZ.W.0003.130525T0600Z-130525T1200Z/TAZEWELL-CRAIG-ALLEGHANY VA-MERCER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...TAZEWELL...NEW CASTLE...CLIFTON FORGE...COVINGTON...BLUEFIELD...FLAT TOP957 PM EDT FRI MAY 24 2013...FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A FREEZEWARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY.* LOCATIONS...HIGHER ELEVATIONS AND DEEPER VALLEYS.* HAZARDS...FREEZING TEMPERATURES.* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30.* TIMING...FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY.* IMPACTS...THE GREATEST IMPACTS WILL BE TO ANY VEGETATION  SENSITIVE TO FREEZING TEMPERATURES...WHICH MAY BE DAMAGED OR  KILLED. PRECAUTIONS SHOULD BE TAKEN TO PROTECT THESE SENSITIVE  PLANTS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A FREEZE WARNING MEANS SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES ARE IMMINENT ORHIGHLY LIKELY. THESE CONDITIONS WILL KILL CROPS AND OTHERSENSITIVE VEGETATION.

Currently I have 45.9, still a long way to go.....we shall see in am.

Current DP is 29.8, so maybe?

When it hits 50 from late November to early March, I think it is disgustingly, sickenly warm.

You and like ten other people (three of four of whom post here) think that way. The rest of us are sane.

And just what is wrong with that? As someone once wrote-

You may be right, I may be crazy.  But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for. Turn out the light, don't try to save me. You may be wrong for all I know, but you may be right. :)

We have 8-9 months of the year for consistent 50°+ temps. I don't think it's insane to want winter weather in the winter.

Pretty sure that was in jest. Either way, you, me, Bob, Matt, and all the rest of the asylum will keep this place hummin in the winter.

I LOVE THIS WEATHER.

It's 47 degrees with north winds gusting over 25 mph.

This is excellent jebwalk weather.

We were in the mid 50s all day long. I love cold advection and troughs so much!

I cant believe it is late May. It's so cool outside it is almost like Barrow Alaska :)

I LOVE THIS WEATHER.

It's 47 degrees with north winds gusting over 25 mph.

This is excellent jebwalk weather.

We were in the mid 50s all day long. I love cold advection and troughs so much!

I cant believe it is late May. It's so cool outside it is almost like Barrow Alaska :)

Speaking of Alaska, it's 69 at Fairbanks

Just went outside for a short jebwalk.

It's FABULOUS out there, 44 degrees with a 30 dewpoint with a pleasant northerly breeze.

Incredible late May weather, I can't believe all the cool Canadian airmasses I've been treated to this spring.

This feels like late October or early November!

Archived