• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
May 2013 Obs/Banter/Complaining/Sarcasm

Ellinwood

I'm truly happy that you guys are loving the chilly spring, and enjoyed what most consider to have been a not-so-great Memorial Day weekend.  However, most people I have talked to outside this forum don't share this view.  The consensus outside the bubble here is that the spring has been miserable. 

This past holiday weekend is a perfect representation of what spring has been to this point: a rainy, raw Friday with afternoon temps 20+ degrees below normal and wind chills in the 40s most of the day, a still-windy Saturday with afternoon temps 15 below normal, a really nice Sunday with plenty of sun (but still too cool for hitting the beach without a jacket, or going to the pool), and a Monday that was overcast and gray, with afternoon temps 10-15 below normal with occasional drizzle.

I know many of you guys would love a summer with temperatures no higher than 50s or 60s everyday.  That's fine for the bubble here, but in the outside world, it's not so great.  We had a number of planned outdoor activities/jobs that had to be changed or canceled as a result of the weather this weekend.  We also had a couple of outdoor photo shoots that had to be postponed twice, because of the wind/rain on Friday, and the wind on Saturday.  I have side-work that relies on a reasonable number of nice weekend days in the spring/summer/fall, and of temperatures/conditions being comfortable not just for me, but for people I work with.  Not one of those people has said "what a wonderful spring".  Memorial Day weekend didn't need to be hot - mild 70s every day would have been great (and Sunday was truly an amazing weather day - was outside all day).

I probably have a different perspective on this because of the outdoor shoots that I do, and the limited number of late spring/summer/early fall weekend days that are available for this.  But if a mild spring/summer can be balanced with a mild fall/winter, that would be fine (though you guys will be complaining about that as much or more than the average person complaining about this spring).  :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm truly happy that you guys are loving the chilly spring, and enjoyed what most consider to have been a not-so-great Memorial Day weekend.  However, most people I have talked to outside this forum don't share this view.  The consensus outside the bubble here is that the spring has been miserable. 

This past holiday weekend is a perfect representation of what spring has been to this point: a rainy, raw Friday with afternoon temps 20+ degrees below normal and wind chills in the 40s most of the day, a still-windy Saturday with afternoon temps 15 below normal, a really nice Sunday with plenty of sun (but still too cool for hitting the beach without a jacket, or going to the pool), and a Monday that was overcast and gray, with afternoon temps 10-15 below normal with occasional drizzle.

Dear Jesus...what sort of bizarro world are you living in.  I'll grant that Friday was chilly, but this weekend was NOT 15 below normal.  

We're going to have an above normal April and above normal May and that's still "chilly"?  And that's above the 1981-2000 "normals", which are a fair bit warmer than earlier versions of "normal".  Become a snowbird if sunny days with highs near 65-70 are chilly and miserable in May.  

Are you trolling with this nonsense or do you really think this?

I'm truly happy that you guys are loving the chilly spring, and enjoyed what most consider to have been a not-so-great Memorial Day weekend. However, most people I have talked to outside this forum don't share this view. The consensus outside the bubble here is that the spring has been miserable.

I know many of you guys would love a summer with temperatures no higher than 50s or 60s everyday. That's fine for the bubble here, but in the outside world, it's not so great. We had a number of planned outdoor activities/jobs that had to be changed or canceled as a result of the weather this weekend. We also had a couple of outdoor photo shoots that had to be postponed twice, because of the wind/rain on Friday, and the wind on Saturday. I have side-work that relies on a reasonable number of nice weekend days in the spring/summer/fall, and of temperatures/conditions being comfortable not just for me, but for people I work with. Not one of those people has said "what a wonderful spring". Memorial Day weekend didn't need to be hot - mild 70s every day would have been great (and Sunday was truly an amazing weather day - was outside all day).

I probably have a different perspective on this because of the outdoor shoots that I do, and the limited number of late spring/summer/early fall weekend days that are available for this. But if a mild spring/summer can be balanced with a mild fall/winter, that would be fine (though you guys will be complaining about that as much or more than the average person complaining about this spring). :)

Good grief man, grow up

Eleven degrees warmer this am when I left for work, 50. All the ranting about hot and cold doesn't really matter in the end, we gonna end month at or a little above 30 year "normal". Skies cleared off overnight, and with the nearly full moon son went kayaking with his buddies, texted me when he got off at midnight that he was going. Saw many pics of people swimming in the creeks and lakes over weekend around here. It IS that time of the year....just remember we could be in upstate NY.  :whistle:

I'm truly happy that you guys are loving the chilly spring, and enjoyed what most consider to have been a not-so-great Memorial Day weekend. However, most people I have talked to outside this forum don't share this view. The consensus outside the bubble here is that the spring has been miserable.

I know many of you guys would love a summer with temperatures no higher than 50s or 60s everyday. That's fine for the bubble here, but in the outside world, it's not so great. We had a number of planned outdoor activities/jobs that had to be changed or canceled as a result of the weather this weekend. We also had a couple of outdoor photo shoots that had to be postponed twice, because of the wind/rain on Friday, and the wind on Saturday. I have side-work that relies on a reasonable number of nice weekend days in the spring/summer/fall, and of temperatures/conditions being comfortable not just for me, but for people I work with. Not one of those people has said "what a wonderful spring". Memorial Day weekend didn't need to be hot - mild 70s every day would have been great (and Sunday was truly an amazing weather day - was outside all day).

I probably have a different perspective on this because of the outdoor shoots that I do, and the limited number of late spring/summer/early fall weekend days that are available for this. But if a mild spring/summer can be balanced with a mild fall/winter, that would be fine (though you guys will be complaining about that as much or more than the average person complaining about this spring). :)

Call this spring chilly if you want, but bubble or not, the facts show otherwise :)

Eleven degrees warmer this am when I left for work, 50. All the ranting about hot and cold doesn't really matter in the end, we gonna end month at or a little above 30 year "normal". Skies cleared off overnight, and with the nearly full moon son went kayaking with his buddies, texted me when he got off at midnight that he was going. Saw many pics of people swimming in the creeks and lakes over weekend around here. It IS that time of the year....just remember we could be in upstate NY.  :whistle:

Winchester needs right about +18 for the next four days to break into positive territory.  We are forecast to top that, but its gonna be close.  Today is a key day here.  If we end up with a +3 or 4, we might hang on.  We pop a +10 today, we're toast.

Family was in OCMD and was told the weather was horrendous for memorial day weekend. Unfortunate a holiday weekend had to be wasted by anomoulous cold departures.

This weather was nice if you weren't planning to go swimming or do normal memorial day weekend activities.

You'd be hard pressed to find a beachgoer that "loved" this weekend.

I know many of you guys would love a summer with temperatures no higher than 50s or 60s everyday.  That's fine for the bubble here, but in the outside world, it's not so great.  We had a number of planned outdoor activities/jobs that had to be changed or canceled as a result of the weather this weekend.  We also had a couple of outdoor photo shoots that had to be postponed twice, because of the wind/rain on Friday, and the wind on Saturday.  I have side-work that relies on a reasonable number of nice weekend days in the spring/summer/fall, and of temperatures/conditions being comfortable not just for me, but for people I work with.  Not one of those people has said "what a wonderful spring".  Memorial Day weekend didn't need to be hot - mild 70s every day would have been great (and Sunday was truly an amazing weather day - was outside all day).

I probably have a different perspective on this because of the outdoor shoots that I do, and the limited number of late spring/summer/early fall weekend days that are available for this.  But if a mild spring/summer can be balanced with a mild fall/winter, that would be fine (though you guys will be complaining about that as much or more than the average person complaining about this spring).  :)

But it is Spring not summer... It is refreshing to actually get a spring this year. I enjoy being able to send my girls out without having them come crawling back in sweating and exhausted 15 min. later. My outside world consists of families with children and they have been loving this weather for the same reason I stated in my previous sentence. Hiking and Biking is enjoyable in cooler weather. This type of spring is why I do not live in a 2 season part of the country. Enjoy it for what it is, It is a glorious Spring. :sizzle:

I really think a lot of peoples ideas of what a Mid-A spring is has been ruined by the previous two or three.

If that's the case, then I can't wait till summer when warmistas who expect 100+ degree temps every other week will be constantly whining and moaning :axe:

Good grief man, grow up

You guys see it as complaining, and in part, it is.  Fair enough.  It's pointless speaking a view that is contrary to the pro-cold view here, so I won't say another word.

Hopefully, this winter, when people are bitching about another snowless winter, you will at least be consistent and also tell them to grow up.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, no more complaints about the temperatures from me.  I'll keep it zipped from here on out.

But it is Spring not summer... It is refreshing to actually get a spring this year. I enjoy being able to send my girls out without having them come crawling back in sweating and exhausted 15 min. later. My outside world consists of families with children and they have been loving this weather for the same reason I stated in my previous sentence. Hiking and Biking is enjoyable in cooler weather. This type of spring is why I do not live in a 2 season part of the country. Enjoy it for what it is, It is a glorious Spring. :sizzle:

Perfect!  :)

You guys see it as complaining, and in part, it is. Fair enough. It's pointless speaking a view that is contrary to the pro-cold view here, so I won't say another word.

Hopefully, this winter, when people are bitching about another snowless winter, you will at least be consistent and also tell them to grow up. :rolleyes:

She does, and even so, people only complain in the winter when snowfall is below normal. Nobody except the worst weenies whines in a good or even normal year.

She does, an even so, people only complain in the winter when snowfall is below normal. Nobody except the worst weenies whines in a good or even normal year.

OK then.  I found her response annoying, but I suppose it's fair criticism.  I have complained a fair bit about the weather this spring, but lesson learned - no more weather complaints or commentary from me.  :)

Does anyone have info on how many above-normal highs DCA/IAD have had this spring in comparison to below-normal highs?  If so, what was the average departure for both the aboves and belows?  I'm really curious.

Here is DCA above/below max temp's for each day so far this month

1st-even, 2nd -4, 3rd -4, 4th-3, 5th -9, 6th -8, 7th -7, 8th -1, 9th +3, 10th +9, 11th +6, 12th -7, 13th -12, 14th -8, 15th +11, 16th +12, 

17th +7, 18th -9, 19th +1, 20th +6, 21st +5, 22nd +9, 23rd +6, 24th -11, 25th -10, 26 -4, 27th -5.

15 belows

11 aboves 1 even

Family was in OCMD and was told the weather was horrendous for memorial day weekend. Unfortunate a holiday weekend had to be wasted by anomoulous cold departures.

This weather was nice if you weren't planning to go swimming or do normal memorial day weekend activities.

If by "normal" Memorial day weekend activities you mean taking your kids to the playground, going for a hike, grilling out, and doing yard work, then yes, I very much enjoyed those activiites this weekend, and much moreso than any Memorial weekend I can recall. 

I think you should reconsider what "normal" Mem weekend activities are, and I don't think expecting mid-summer beach weather at OCMD in late May is one of them.

LOL, my wife and some of her friends were in OC this weekend and they couldn't stop raving about how beautiful it was.  

If by "normal" Memorial day weekend activities you mean taking your kids to the playground, going for a hike, grilling out, and doing yard work, then yes, I very much enjoyed those activiites this weekend, and much moreso than any Memorial weekend I can recall. 

I think you should reconsider what "normal" Mem weekend activities are, and I don't think expecting mid-summer beach weather at OCMD in late May is one of them.

Yeah, don't think you'd ever be doing much swimming in the ocean at Memorial Day, and you wouldn't be swimming in a pool that didn't artificially heat the water either.

Yeah, don't think you'd ever be doing much swimming in the ocean at Memorial Day, and you wouldn't be swimming in a pool that didn't artificially heat the water either.

Earliest in the season I've ever gone there was in mid-June for HS grad week (class of '88 baby!) and I remember then how cool the water felt and that was in the summer of '88.  I would never consider any beach north of VA Beach for Memorial weekend.

Like I said in earlier post, the last few springs have really screwed peoples idea of a Mid-A spring.

DCA monthly numbers

April 2010 +4.7

May 2010 +3.7

April 2011 +2.7

May 2011  +2.7

April 2012 +1.5

May 2012  +5.4

To put this into a practical perspective, each year one side of my wife's family has a rather large reuniion.  In years past it it's generally been held in mid-summer.  Last year it was held at the end of June, the day after the derecho.  I think the forecast for that day was 100, but do to the mixing from the night before it 'only' made it into the low 90s.  Needless to say, the event consisted of everyone sitting under the shelter fanning themselves (literally, fans were brought and plugged in) as the bugs swarmed.  This year's was mercifully held on Sunday and the difference was amazing.  Even more people showed up, and most were out and about in the park shooting b-ball, throwing frisbee, playing cornhole, etc.  It was just night and day difference from last year and years past.

Sucks for them, but May isn't really the time to go to the beach unless you're a fan of frigid water. Makes more sense to wait till July and August for that

Here is DCA above/below max temp's for each day so far this month

1st-even, 2nd -4, 3rd -4, 4th-3, 5th -9, 6th -8, 7th -7, 8th -1, 9th +3, 10th +9, 11th +6, 12th -7, 13th -12, 14th -8, 15th +11, 16th +12, 

17th +7, 18th -9, 19th +1, 20th +6, 21st +5, 22nd +9, 23rd +6, 24th -11, 25th -10, 26 -4, 27th -5.

15 belows

11 aboves 1 even

Thanks. 

Below average totals: -102*, average of -6.8*

Above: +75*, average of +6.8*

So that means that the averages for the aboves and belows for May are both averaging +/- 6.8.  That seems like a pretty big spread, but it does show that highs have averaged 1 degree cooler per day than normal.

I'm interested in the whole spring since it seems to me that most people only pay attention to the highs when considering how cool or warm temps are.  I have a feeling that, if looking at the whole of spring, we'll see something similar playing out - more cooler-than-normal days than not.  But I also think (just based on "feel") that we'd see more days of well-above-average highs than well-below-average highs.

Archived