joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25th Storm: Debacle or Climo Defier? Discussion and Obs II

stormtracker

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

31.4F here in Clarksburg on calm winds.  2.2" on the board right now but the big meltdown has just commenced in the last 15 minutes with trees starting to drip and snow oozing down the sides of the cars.  Very similar to 3/6 when the sun peeked above the horizon.  Here's a couple of pics from Casa de das, side yard fisheye and front, respectively:

post-109-0-20216800-1364210775_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-71515800-1364210821_thumb.jpg

I see that trying to get it done but doesn't seem likely.  Is that just your inner  :weenie:  coming out, or is it really possible?  :snowing:

It's more possible for ne md. maybe we get fringed. We usually get whiffed but since our luck seems to have tipped......

even if we did it would take RIC like rates to do anything because it would be afternoon. Not feeling it but I was pretty much focused on the overnight stuff. OVERPERFORMER

I don't even look at those to be honest. It's much more accurate to use a little common sense with rates, temps, soundings, etc. Snowmaps are silly. Except for 09-10 of course.

-------------------------------------------------

The SLR-adjusted EC snow output we see at WPC, particularly at high res (quarter of a degree), are far from silly. Especially when we apply the in-house SLR adjustment. Obviously, we have to pay for it, and we certainly cannot share it, but it's money well spent. You'll just have to trust me on this. EDIT...that is ESPECIALLY the case with marginl BL temps!!

'Silly' was the 2-4" it pegged for the RIC area through 00Z yesterday, or so I thought. Or the fact that this output gave next to nothing along and east if i95 during 3/6, or so I thought..

It's more possible for ne md. maybe we get fringed. We usually get whiffed but since our luck seems to have tipped......

even if we did it would take RIC like rates to do anything because it would be afternoon. Not feeling it but I was pretty much focused on the overnight stuff. OVERPERFORMER

It's funny that we refer to this as an over-performer.  Shouldn't it just be called a performer?  As in the first storm to actually perform similar to how it was modeled?  I'll tell you what, it feels pretty damn good to finally get something worth a damn.  My 18 month old actually get's to see the grass completely covered...... I didn't think that would ever happen.  :snowing:

Took 50 minutes to drive to Goddard, about twice what it normally does.  95 was just wet, but every other road had a fair bit of slush on it.  Goddard parking lots and roads completely snowcovered (they closed for 3/6 and didn't even delay opening today...).  Vis was 1/8-1/2 mile during the drive.  I measured 2.5" in Columbia before I left, which I expect should be 3-3.5" by now with these rates.  

-------------------------------------------------

The SLR-adjusted EC snow output we see at WPC, particularly at high res (quarter of a degree), are far from silly. Especially when we apply the in-house SLR adjustment. Obviously, we have to pay for it, and we certainly cannot share it, but it's money well spent. You'll just have to trust me on this. EDIT...that is ESPECIALLY the case with marginl BL temps!!

'Silly' was the 2-4" it pegged for the RIC area through 00Z yesterday, or so I thought. Or the fact that this output gave next to nothing along and east if i95 during 3/6, or so I thought..

I should have been more specific. It's silly for weenies to look at snow maps. Our non-awesome free snow maps are terrible. And they fly around here like hotdogs at a baseball game.

I've had 7 inches, with 1.5 overnight. 

The "official" LYH via WSET will be 6.5 They were lagging behind most of the day and caught up to within a half inch during the megaband. 

Biggest late season event since 1971 where 7.3 inches fell. April 6-7 of that same year-- another 4.8 inches fell. 

Archived