joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 25th Storm: Debacle or Climo Defier? Discussion and Obs II

stormtracker

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traffic Report.  Drove Columbia to SE DC between 5am-6:15am.  Normally takes 45-50 mins; today 75 mins.  Mod-Hvy snow for entire trip except for about 15 mins when it lightened up.

I-95 SB to 495 was slushy and slow.  Avg speed 30mph but kudos to folks driving.  No jerks or stupid passing.  Everyone just lined up and went patiently.

Conditions better from I-495 to DC, avg speed approx 45 mph.  Roads wet w/only minor pockets of slush, although was surprised that M St, SE was fairly slushy at 6:15am.

I guess you are the closest to DCA.. could we have a steak beaker... what is the official word from the airport?

havent gotten word yet....it will be close...depends how they measure....it is melting when rates let up...when I checked I had 2.5" on cartops, 3" on grass and 2.25" on picnic table...

havent gotten word yet....it will be close...depends how they measure....it is melting when rates let up...when I checked I had 2.5" on cartops, 3" on grass and 2.25" on picnic table...

That's what i used to get my 2.25".  car top and trash can lid.  Was sticking to everything and looked very nice out

1.2"?  Actually i have no idea but it will be half of what the immediate area will end up with.

yeah...who am I kidding...it will be like 1.3"

At 5:30 I had a solid 2.5 and I am inside the Baltimore  beltway... woke up at 3:00 to take my puppy out and there was a little bit of whie on my car. So 2.5 inches in two hours.  An inch an hour and it looks like it could go for another three hours.  I would love to see warning criteria.  That would constitute a reverse bust. 

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0330

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0431 AM CDT MON MAR 25 2013

AREAS AFFECTED...ERN OH...WRN/SRN PA...ERN PANHANDLE OF

WV...WRN/CNTRL/NRN MD...NRN DE....SWRN NJ

CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW 

VALID 250931Z - 251530Z

SUMMARY...MODERATE SNOW EXPECTED TO DIMINISH OVER ERN OH/WRN

PA....WHILE SNOW INCREASES AND SPREADS NEWD FROM NRN VA AND THE ERN

WV PANHANDLE ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF NRN/CNTRL MD INTO THE LWR

SUSQUEHANNA AND DELAWARE VALLEYS OF PA...NJ...AND NRN DE.

DISCUSSION...SATELLITE AND RADAR DATA SHOW ORIGINAL MID-LVL LOW/VORT

CENTER ASSOCIATED WITH YESTERDAY'S MIDWESTERN SNOW STORM NOW

ELONGATING INTO A W-E SHEAR AXIS/TROUGH OVER SRN PORTIONS OF IND/OH.

THIS WEAKENING TREND SHOULD CONTINUE AS THE UPR CENTER REFORMS E OF

DELAWARE BAY LATER TODAY. ASSOCIATED SFC LOW NOW OVER SE OH ALSO

SHOULD WEAKEN...WITH NEW SFC CENTER CONTINUING TO DEEPEN ABOUT 125

MILES E OF HATTERAS.

WITH DEFORMATION ZONE ASSOCIATED WITH THE OH VLY SYSTEM LIKELY TO

CONTINUE WEAKENING...EXPECT SNOWFALL RATES TO SUBSTANTIALLY DIMINISH

AFTER MID-MORNING OVER ERN OH AND WRN/CNTRL PA. IN THE MEAN

TIME...ISOLD 1 IN/HR RATES MAY PERSIST...ESPECIALLY OVER THE HIGHER

TERRAIN OF SW AND S CNTRL PA.

I can't believe the schools shut down for a few inches of slush...we have about 3" here too in Westminster.

It is all perception.. in a blockbuster year like 09-10, I remember clipper coming through that dropped like 4 inches and Carrol County stayed open. 

I can't believe the schools shut down for a few inches of slush...we have about 3" here too in Westminster.

In this region light rain causes tons of accidents and snarls traffic.  Put slush and snow on the road with heavy snow falling, then throw school buses in the mix it creates an unmitigated disaster. 

Archived