• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2024

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

Four aftershocks ranging from 1.8 to 2.2, so far.

Haven't felt any of those. I'm only a few miles away from the epicenter. Was really cool to feel this morning. 

I was at a big sports complex with my 4 year old. He was in the bounce house, so didn't feel it, lol.

Shook the whole building.

• Like 2

Honest question - is there anything in a meteorologist's training that would make them particularly knowledgable about earthquakes?  I ask because most of the on air folks I'm watching today seem to be struggling.  Granted, they're being asked to make a story out of something which, other than some shaking and the novelty of it, is a not much of a story, but some of it is frankly tough to watch.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Honest question - is there anything in a meteorologist's training that would make them particularly knowledgable about earthquakes?  I ask because most of the on air folks I'm watching today seem to be struggling.  Granted, they're being asked to make a story out of something which, other than some shaking and the novelty of it, is a not much of a story, but some of it is frankly tough to watch.  

No. Earthquakes are not part of atmospheric science, so anything related to earthquakes would be an elective course.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I know absolute donkey squat about earthquakes other than a core geology class that maybe had a 10 minute section on it.

Above ground = meteorology 

Below ground = geology

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

Haven't felt any of those. I'm only a few miles away from the epicenter. Was really cool to feel this morning. 

I was at a big sports complex with my 4 year old. He was in the bounce house, so didn't feel it, lol.

Shook the whole building.

Under 2.5, people generally don't feel them. The last time I felt an earthquake was in 2021 while on vacation in Bali. It was a strong aftershock from the August 5, 2018 Lombok quake. I wasn't there for the Lombok quake.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I like cool and rainy

Go away ;)

I had a much longer affect, 20 seconds easily starting with a bang then up and down with a lateral feel to it. Rattling windows and pictures on the outside walls. I was in the stone sunroom that sits on bedrock so it was probably amplified somewhat compared to a home on a slab over soil. The best part was the sound. It was like a huge helicopter directly overhead and it made my knees quiver. Cool shit. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

28 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

time to get back to weather what about next week rainstorm is it still on?

Yeah, the highly amplified pattern continues. Brief warm up into Tuesday followed by a backdoor on Wednesday. Then a rainy and windy cutter later in the week. 

471AEEEA-25FA-401D-B0ED-57609F7D1E23.thumb.png.f97fe456732b1e379b6270ac3d1a1202.png

45676BD3-3833-44B7-A217-ED283439AE1B.thumb.png.4e2832c4571567b081a060722237f194.png

0740B816-1626-47BC-A2A3-65773940147C.thumb.png.09489b12939a414eafb87aed41247ba6.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

We are in Chester, about 12 miles north west of the epicenter. 

My wife called me very panicked as she did not know what it could be. We lost a few pictures and some of the window treatments broke. 

i work in Long Valley, our building shook something fierce. 

• Like 3

The next few days will feature readings in the 50s. After a cool first week of April, it will likely turn noticeably warmer next week.

Monday should afford partly to mostly sunny skies, allowing for good viewing of the solar eclipse. The warmest day of the week will likely be Tuesday when temperatures rise into the lower 70s in New York City and upper 70s to perhaps near 80° in Washington, DC. A moderate to significant rainfall is possible late in the week.

New York City's Central Park remains on track to finish the 2023-2024 snow season with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall for a record second consecutive season. Records go back to 1869.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.0°C for the week centered around March 27. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +0.42°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.27°C. The ongoing basinwide El Niño event is fading. Neutral conditions could develop later in the spring.

The SOI was -16.30 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.110 today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

I would not want to experience anything stronger than this. 

I went through a 6.6M earthquake in San Luis Obispo in 2003. I still tense up when trucks pass by at times. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, golfer07840 said:

i work in Long Valley, our building shook something fierce. 

Same here.  Pretty intense.  Light fixtures were swinging and dishes were rattling.  When it was over almost all the pictures in the house were noticeably crooked.  It all started with a loud sonic boom type of a sound.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

I would not want to experience anything stronger than this. 

I literally just felt another trembling-- I don't know if it was an aftershock or just this wind that's still gusting, but I don't think it's the wind because I just felt the floor move a little under me as I was sitting down.