Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Storm Thread 3: Obs and Disco

stormtracker

1 hour ago, DDweatherman said:

Moderate snow and 23 right now, beautiful scene folks

THIS. ALL of the snow is still sticking to the trees, wires, etc. and this is the part that I enjoy the most...and which tends to melt or fall off the day after a snowstorm. Not so much today, and it's just wonderful.

44 minutes ago, Benjamn3 said:

About 4 inches at the back barn. 27 and the wind picking up. What a cool little storm. Our 4 month old filly’s first snow. 

IMG_7248.jpeg

So, I should ask in banter, but....how does a four-month old horse respond to its first snow? I'll bet that would be kinda fun to watch...  :D 

Oh, and currently, up to 31 here. Bit of melting on pavements, but all other surfaces seem to be holding the snow.

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

It's very frustrating. I get that some jobs are such that you are more productive in an office setting, but most office jobs are not that way. For me, personally, I am for more productive at home than I was in the office. I don't have people constantly stopping by to talk about nothing, we don't schedule meetings unless they are actually needed, and I'm just far happier overall which makes me more productive.

Yep it is. The work from home was working for so many and then they got blindsided. He is an animator and his set up at home had worked for over 3 years. We have topped out our internet and he is hard wired in. He had to return back his equipment with this change, and we went out and got a new monitor for his laptop to run through. And a convertor hub to run everything through his laptop. He too said he is more productive at home and had more time to work not due to having to commute 270. They lost a lot of people due to early retirement or just finding work from home companies. He is begrudgingly doing it for now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Yep it is. The work from home was working for so many and then they got blindsided. He is an animator and his set up at home had worked for over 3 years. We have topped out our internet and he is hard wired in. He had to return back his equipment with this change, and we went out and got a new monitor for his laptop to run through. And a convertor hub to run everything through his laptop. He too said he is more productive at home and had more time to work not due to having to commute 270. They lost a lot of people due to early retirement or just finding work from home companies. He is begrudgingly doing it for now. 

God bless him...and anyone else...who has to endure the 270 commute. I can barely handle that road on weekends, returning to the DMV from occasional trips to points north, let alone on a regular weekeday. It just gets worse and worse...  :( 

it's doing something because visibility is down, and whatever it is, it's frozen. i ended up with 3.25" which is the most snow i've seen in years (we were in Key West for the January 2022 storm). i like this light where it almost looks like a black and white photo:

53468245414_52e179c6d7_b.jpg

• Like 8

Got a little over 4".  Was out with the kids this morning.  Nice event.  Sucks the coastal part kinda crapped out after most guidance teased us with it yesterday. 

The axis of my snow map turned out pretty good but I was about 1-2" too low with the zones.  I would have bumped my 2-4 area up to 3-6 and my 1-3 up to 2-4 yesterday if I bothered.  

• Like 7

Just want to reiterate how much of a win this storm was for the fall line crew. We have gotten burned a lot in marginal events over the years, so it is awesome to see a storm where it's cold and the snow sticks to the roads. Seriously, the snow never sticks to the roads here. But this was last night around 10pm after rates picked up in my neighborhood. It was gorgeous - the kind of rainbow, light scattering pixie dust flakes we barely ever see because we usually get cold slop. And it's still cold today! 10/10 storm even if all I ended up with was 4". 

ABLVV84pT4w-AkPILq2HBJ2dB_KBokxYnDMN4IRDVR_HNYjEudkTAcPC0aboJLJtV40370AeNTtSc_GS_dLXQSsYRQhuCud6Mw79NyWVd1QdFHWjAne3Z3PICEZDRNibUp-SP81ABSMFEw8ytAorIhMRTOy4FiiV6ncuwWG2dFz0flTMRGPgPA6KffxdiqwXGHn07QgVNvC2Ei1SXU_oNlSMsSJXwue45R15eiklt_K1V_CcLewiyyB3UtMt51AQmVCByVSleu9x_IiliY2Ex_774M3XSU5uE9ZwfnHSBvoyrrFahGC7mpvCCMK6ozsJA8VhBP6YAys5HDqNldQMEx7UIAJlQyZr-hbJ21l_4WYThz6qgAAWIDb6l5wM-_vLPfx92WjRsHceHj1IjWLao8qP4l7Pk53lT04Bq5MVG2ZNSxwcQ9uPIiFZrVXJrdjm4GReodziqJaAzmJN2rlLytSs8kK_X9wclXDxgbt-_B3Zj8a5tN6vFynZTf784OdhalIrF8oQsKkfdS1GjXGyEM-hw68_sRrsTeTOAY3icivxnpxMOLRwrGbQ2s9M2UD7BKQvUOfzlExN5G-sn8HjeSSPFYcDVMe5eMMoBeguxCpT8uRekR8DjMfltm7fSYmeJgKGG9On_7vQQCZOE5y7TtpzBh4v2VqXXLUpri_UOhKFFa6V_8ZbdqikzCQEAxutBwTpcwekROoqufhof7hOwBfn5D-KWHUFuiMl_Az775XgLmoa5h38uGpNW-GkL0bEyjLMONn4bE_ueyQLlFYSvce0AVcsoW-w4PX_OcM6M1igL4P-FVdNviZ1TiLZn2s4F2YfIJU9_GRHGiVuVma9CyGhmvvdxD4tH0_JSYlK8KIbvJtQVQaBc8I0lizO8kLZp6pdD5t9c91YHtkJMgSZ-wZiy90HBRsr-AFqO5_uWP8V=w1080-h813-s-no-gm?authuser=0

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

THIS. ALL of the snow is still sticking to the trees, wires, etc. and this is the part that I enjoy the most...and which tends to melt or fall off the day after a snowstorm. Not so much today, and it's just wonderful.

So, I should ask in banter, but....how does a four-month old horse respond to its first snow? I'll bet that would be kinda fun to watch...  :D 

Oh, and currently, up to 31 here. Bit of melting on pavements, but all other surfaces seem to be holding the snow.

Haha! She did great. We have a couple babies down here and they acted like they knew what it was. The horses all act like babies with a snow on the ground. Playin and having a ball. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Just want to reiterate how much of a win this storm was for the fall line crew. We have gotten burned a lot in marginal events over the years, so it is awesome to see a storm where it's cold and the snow sticks to the roads. Seriously, the snow never sticks to the roads here. But this was last night around 10pm after rates picked up in my neighborhood. It was gorgeous - the kind of rainbow, light scattering pixie dust flakes we barely ever see because we usually get cold slop. And it's still cold today! 10/10 storm even if all I ended up with was 4". 

ABLVV84pT4w-AkPILq2HBJ2dB_KBokxYnDMN4IRDVR_HNYjEudkTAcPC0aboJLJtV40370AeNTtSc_GS_dLXQSsYRQhuCud6Mw79NyWVd1QdFHWjAne3Z3PICEZDRNibUp-SP81ABSMFEw8ytAorIhMRTOy4FiiV6ncuwWG2dFz0flTMRGPgPA6KffxdiqwXGHn07QgVNvC2Ei1SXU_oNlSMsSJXwue45R15eiklt_K1V_CcLewiyyB3UtMt51AQmVCByVSleu9x_IiliY2Ex_774M3XSU5uE9ZwfnHSBvoyrrFahGC7mpvCCMK6ozsJA8VhBP6YAys5HDqNldQMEx7UIAJlQyZr-hbJ21l_4WYThz6qgAAWIDb6l5wM-_vLPfx92WjRsHceHj1IjWLao8qP4l7Pk53lT04Bq5MVG2ZNSxwcQ9uPIiFZrVXJrdjm4GReodziqJaAzmJN2rlLytSs8kK_X9wclXDxgbt-_B3Zj8a5tN6vFynZTf784OdhalIrF8oQsKkfdS1GjXGyEM-hw68_sRrsTeTOAY3icivxnpxMOLRwrGbQ2s9M2UD7BKQvUOfzlExN5G-sn8HjeSSPFYcDVMe5eMMoBeguxCpT8uRekR8DjMfltm7fSYmeJgKGG9On_7vQQCZOE5y7TtpzBh4v2VqXXLUpri_UOhKFFa6V_8ZbdqikzCQEAxutBwTpcwekROoqufhof7hOwBfn5D-KWHUFuiMl_Az775XgLmoa5h38uGpNW-GkL0bEyjLMONn4bE_ueyQLlFYSvce0AVcsoW-w4PX_OcM6M1igL4P-FVdNviZ1TiLZn2s4F2YfIJU9_GRHGiVuVma9CyGhmvvdxD4tH0_JSYlK8KIbvJtQVQaBc8I0lizO8kLZp6pdD5t9c91YHtkJMgSZ-wZiy90HBRsr-AFqO5_uWP8V=w1080-h813-s-no-gm?authuser=0

Yes! It was so amazing and so...luxurious not to worry about the fall line...coastal plain =/=coastal pain haha

• Like 2

Total of 4.25". I'm happy because my prediction in my newsletter Monday morning was 3 - 6".

The models did quite well 30 hrs. pre-event at 9 pm Sunday,  ranging from 3.0" ECM, 4.0" GFS to 4.7 GEM

The winner Monday 6 am was the GFS at 4.2  10:1.

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Got a little over 4".  Was out with the kids this morning.  Nice event.  Sucks the coastal part kinda crapped out after most guidance teased us with it yesterday. 

The axis of my snow map turned out pretty good but I was about 1-2" too low with the zones.  I would have bumped my 2-4 area up to 3-6 and my 1-3 up to 2-4 yesterday if I bothered.  

Pretty awesome how it was pretty much a uniform 4 inches across most of this subforum: everybody solidly got on the board!

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I don’t see this as a problem, though.  We accumulated on the grass where it matters and shoveling the inch from the sidewalks was easy!

I think it was plenty cold as evidenced by the rare fact that we continued to very slowly  increase accumulation during the daylight under very light to light snow 

1 hour ago, jayyy said:

4.75” final total. The banding from 7-11pm was the money maker up this way.

I slept more this morning and missed the additional snow so I’ll keep my total at 4.7” for the call. That period from 7-Midnight was the sweet spot. I agree. It was dumping for 2 hrs between 945-1145 that really piled up the accums. Had another wave between 1230 and when I took another measurement when it felt like a snow globe. Was in my element ^_^

• Like 5

Its been a very long time! Finally snow on blink cams at my Aldie home. 

My future son-in-law said around 4" in Aldie. 

It's his first winter on the east coast and his message this morning was

" OMG people here freak out over a little bit of snow "  LOL

IMG_0418.jpeg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Unusually even 4-5.5” snow for most of the NoVA/DC/central MD corridor per spotter reports. 

This was such a great storm for everyone. The lower density snow fall to coat everything. The rates were even solid for everyone at points. Everyone scored. Hell, we even got a flash flood event in Georgetown! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Imgoinhungry said:

Lets start the school predictions! Im going with two hour delay for most.

You’re gonna see closings tomorrow, low teens tomorrow morning + wind + a high in the 20s.  That is def more winter than this region can handle lol.  Everything will be a glacier tomorrow AM. 

• Like 2