Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Not sure. I have a couple decades to figure it out. :lol:

I’ll have to check out % poss sunshine climo for August. C FL would be nice, but I wouldn’t want to chance seabreeze convection. 

It’s always a good idea to be proactive and plan ahead…like installs in early March. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I cannot believe the weather worked out for that.  Like what are the chances.  It could be raining or snowing with a ceiling of 2,000ft very easily.

We all lucked out given the recent pattern and expected pattern over the next week...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

10 min later it’s moving.

IMG_9221.thumb.jpeg.445d6627b73bda4e3fccd196e859f95b.jpeg

Good.  How bad is Stowe?  I am in the office in Hyde Park wondering:

1.  How late do I stay?

2.  Do I do the usual 100 to 89 or do I go 12 to Montpelier then Barre and back roads home and avoid the highway all together?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, klw said:

Good.  How bad is Stowe?  I am in the office in Hyde Park wondering:

1.  How late do I stay?

2.  Do I do the usual 100 to 89 or do I go 12 to Montpelier then Barre and back roads home and avoid the highway all together?

It wasn’t bad to my place but I was looking at the traffic maps and RT 100 south to Waterbury looked terrible.  It shows red all the way to Moscow/Stowe.  Then 89 is red southbound for as long as possible.

I heard that Bolton backup was from an accident.

IMG_9222.jpeg.7aa38244b43b659eddb6bc8a26f6096b.jpeg

My wife left here at 4 and got to just outside of Montpelier on 12 and then just sat.  I had her do a U turn then was able to direct her onto backroads to avoid Montpelier.  I think she is making progress.

Edit: she is stuck in Barre

1 hour ago, Roger Smith said:

The Aug 22, 2044 (Aug 23 in UT) eclipse would be visible from Alberta and parts of BC, Yukon and Alaska towards sunset, and only lasts a minute or two. Evening cloud cover in late August is quite a high probability in the Rockies and I would think best chances could be further northwest (or near Lethbridge AB).

The Aug 12, 2045 eclipse crosses the US in a path similar to the 2017 event, a bit further south, northern Utah to south FL are in the path and it lasts a full six minutes. Skies are often clear in Utah in August especially in range of 0930-1130h local when this eclipse will happen there. 

From a distance, I would take my chances on the 2045 event although the 2044 event is very close to my location anyway. We will probably have teleportation by then anyway, right? 

I see why Dendy wants nothing to do with 2044 now. Thanks.

2 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Well that was cool. Also saw some weird light wave effect happening on the snow in the field just before and after totality. Can’t post videos or else I’d share.

8c6df5bc9689e99ce00098666030c985.jpg

Shadow bands…..we saw them too in Dallas…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Completely cleared out in Dallas for totality. The cu field went poof and miraculously had no cirrus! 

Just an absolutely exceptional experience.

Totally the same experience for us in Irving…..we were trying to get east of Dallas but I kept seeing that cu field getting closer so I bailed in Irving and camped out in a vacant parking lot…..we only had some annoying stray clouds right before - like 30 seconds - totality….and then poof….it disappeared right before went total…..just as amazing as 2017 but better with the lack of clouds and twice as long…..

• Like 1

Not a cloud in the sky throughout the event, not even a wisp of cirrus.Snapped a few pics. Truly spectacular. To pick a location on Friday night and play out as it did, I'm shocked. Might have been the best place to observe the event outside of New England 

• Like 2