Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

Happy holidays everyone!

Thought I'd start a thread to consolidate any trip suggestions / associated weather discussions / obs related to the April 8, 2024 total solar eclipse.

Months in advance may seem silly, but some viewing options might take advance planning. With 2 toddlers, I thought a drive somewhere NNE would be easier than a flight.

I flew to Nashville, Tennessee to see the 2017 total eclipse. Easily one of the most breathtaking natural events I've ever experienced. Thanks to a tip by @weathafella, we drove to Gallatin where there was a huge free eclipse event of thousands from all over the world, live music, open unobstructed fields, and ~2 min 40 seconds of awe.

The next total solar eclipse over contiguous US will be in 2044, so this may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for many.

Totality will cross NNE ~3:20-3:30pm Monday April 8 depending on location.

Anyone know of any events or planning to drive somewhere in NNE?

Links / Info:

NASA Map 2024 Total Eclipse

Eclipse Simulator Map

Totality Begins
Maximum
Totality Ends
Partial Ends
Dallas, Texas
12:23 p.m. CDT
1:40 p.m. CDT
1:42 p.m. CDT
1:44 p.m. CDT
3:02 p.m. CDT
Idabel, Oklahoma
12:28 p.m. CDT
1:45 p.m. CDT
1:47 p.m. CDT
1:49 p.m. CDT
3:06 p.m. CDT
Little Rock, Arkansas
12:33 p.m. CDT
1:51 p.m. CDT
1:52 p.m. CDT
1:54 p.m. CDT
3:11 p.m. CDT
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
12:39 p.m. CDT
1:56 p.m. CDT
1:56 p.m. CDT
2:00 p.m. CDT
3:15 p.m. CDT
Paducah, Kentucky
12:42 p.m. CDT
2:00 p.m. CDT
2:01 p.m. CDT
2:02 p.m. CDT
3:18 p.m. CDT
Evansville, Indiana
12:45 p.m. CDT
2:02 p.m. CDT
2:04 p.m. CDT
2:05 p.m. CDT
3:20 p.m. CDT
Cleveland, Ohio
1:59 p.m. EDT
3:13 p.m. EDT
3:15 p.m. EDT
3:17 p.m. EDT
4:29 p.m. EDT
Erie, Pennsylvania
2:02 p.m. EDT
3:16 p.m. EDT
3:18 p.m. EDT
3:20 p.m. EDT
4:30 p.m. EDT
Buffalo, New York
2:04 p.m. EDT
3:18 p.m. EDT
3:20 p.m. EDT
3:22 p.m. EDT
4:32 p.m. EDT
Burlington, Vermont
2:14 p.m. EDT
3:26 p.m. EDT
3:27 p.m. EDT
3:29 p.m. EDT
4:37 p.m. EDT
Lancaster, New Hampshire
2:16 p.m. EDT
3:27 p.m. EDT
3:29 p.m. EDT
3:30 p.m. EDT
4:38 p.m. EDT
Caribou, Maine
2:22 p.m. EDT
3:32 p.m. EDT
3:33 p.m. EDT
3:34 p.m. EDT
4:40 p.m. EDT

image.png.f06b68942d679d69cdc5fac3341d7c6d.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Really looking forward to this. I think New England can be tricky in April but I’m willing to drive a long distance for this. I saw the one a few years ago by traveling to SC and it was one of the greatest events I’ve ever witnessed. It is beyond profound. 

Beyond profound is a great way to put it... can't think of anything else that is so out of the ordinary, so directly experienced, and so quickly reminds us how small we really are.

For anyone here who hasn't seen one, don't extrapolate from partial eclipses... 99% and 100% are a completely different experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

We booked a place in San Antonio and plan to drive to as near Eagle Pass as possible for the eclipse.  I'm not risking the frequent cloudiness in April in the northeast.

Agree, I'd fly in a heartbeat. Eagle Pass is a great call, 4m 23.6s totality.

I'm sure you've seen this: https://www.chooseeaglepass.com/eclipse

But with a 1- and 4-year-old in tow, my wife and I thought a 4-5 hour drive from home might be easier and more flexible.

The 2017 Gallatin TN event you found was incredible. While we found an isolated grass field inside the venue, hearing the shrieks and wave of amazement sweep through the crowds nearby added to the thrill.

8 hours ago, wxsniss said:

Beyond profound is a great way to put it... can't think of anything else that is so out of the ordinary, so directly experienced, and so quickly reminds us how small we really are.

For anyone here who hasn't seen one, don't extrapolate from partial eclipses... 99% and 100% are a completely different experience.

You can see how people way back in the day would lose lose their minds over seeing something like that obviously unexpectedly. The entire environment and landscape is transformed, from the temperature to movement of animals. 

I’m willing to bet cloud climo is better up there than down here tho. Just anecdotally … most BD butt plugs dont crest the Green/Whites. 

… ‘Magine if BD strata was undercasting when with the eclipse passed over ?  That’d be an interesting optic. 

But based upon how this winter is gone so far anyway, pretty high confidence we’re gonna have a major winter storm with heavy snow going on all over the path of the ecliptic on April 8 2024 - so long as there’s not been any snow before that day. 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I’m willing to bet cloud climo is better up there than down here tho. Just anecdotally … most BD butt plugs dont crest the Green/Whites. 

… ‘Magine if BD strata was undercasting when with the eclipse passed over ?  That’d be an interesting optic. 

But based upon how this winter is gone so far anyway, pretty high confidence we’re gonna have a major winter storm with heavy snow going on all over the path of the ecliptic on April 8 2024 - so long as there’s not been any snow before that day. 

we'll get a front draped along the entire path

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

I saw one total eclipse in my life.  Traveled to Aruba.  The most awesome thing I have ever witnessed as far as nature is concerned. Better than the 2 tornadoes I once saw on a tornado tour I went on.  Tell your boss you want the day off.  I know that Colebrook NH is planning on 30,000 people.  If it looks like a nice day the interstates going north are going to be jammed so plan ahead.  I live about 35 miles south of the path of totality.  I know many of the back roads going north but of course will wait.  If it there is a departing storm and it looks better in NY State we will just head that way the day before and sleep in the car if necessary.

You HAVE to be in the path of totality.  Even if your location has a 99% partial eclipse that 1% screws it up.  I heard an expression about a total solar eclipse regarding the path of totality.  It is like almost being dead to really being dead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

I saw one total eclipse in my life.  Traveled to Aruba.  The most awesome thing I have ever witnessed as far as nature is concerned. Better than the 2 tornadoes I once saw on a tornado tour I went on.  Tell your boss you want the day off.  I know that Colebrook NH is planning on 30,000 people.  If it looks like a nice day the interstates going north are going to be jammed so plan ahead.  I live about 35 miles south of the path of totality.  I know many of the back roads going north but of course will wait.  If it there is a departing storm and it looks better in NY State we will just head that way the day before and sleep in the car if necessary.

You HAVE to be in the path of totality.  Even if your location has a 99% partial eclipse that 1% screws it up.  I heard an expression about a total solar eclipse regarding the path of totality.  It is like almost being dead to really being dead.

Wow, that is a big $ss event for Colebrook, I can't imagine that many people in that town.

In terms of the path of totality, referencing the above chart at the start of the thread, is it anywhere between the red lines, or is there a good reason to get as close to the blue line? I'm in Berlin and planning to drive into Canada, but if I head towards Wentworth's Location that is a much easier experience.

Even if it is snowing, to have it go dark in a snow storm mid-day would be equally awesome

Already have the 8th off from work

20 minutes ago, mcglups said:

Wow, that is a big $ss event for Colebrook, I can't imagine that many people in that town.

In terms of the path of totality, referencing the above chart at the start of the thread, is it anywhere between the red lines, or is there a good reason to get as close to the blue line? I'm in Berlin and planning to drive into Canada, but if I head towards Wentworth's Location that is a much easier experience.

Even if it is snowing, to have it go dark in a snow storm mid-day would be equally awesome

Already have the 8th off from work

Wait, haven’t you heard? I have it on good authority that  it’s never going to snow again. :(

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Wait, haven’t you heard? I have it on good authority that  it’s never going to snow again. :(

With our luck, all ski resorts will close early due to lack of snow and torrential rains in Mid-March, and then we get a long duration cold snap in April and the mountains take in feet of snow pack for the eclipse. I'm all about experiences, so I'll take the mixed bag!

On 12/26/2023 at 3:40 AM, wxsniss said:

Agree, I'd fly in a heartbeat. Eagle Pass is a great call, 4m 23.6s totality.

I'm sure you've seen this: https://www.chooseeaglepass.com/eclipse

But with a 1- and 4-year-old in tow, my wife and I thought a 4-5 hour drive from home might be easier and more flexible.

The 2017 Gallatin TN event you found was incredible. While we found an isolated grass field inside the venue, hearing the shrieks and wave of amazement sweep through the crowds nearby added to the thrill.

I haven't actually seen that yet!  However, we're making it a week's vaca and tour around San Antonio and after the eclipse head over to Austin.   Gallatin ended up being great!    World class experience.

Eagle Pass will be great to watch the eclipse but not sure if there's anything else to do?  Either way, rooms mainly booked.  So we'll get up early and head out.  What a great week it will be!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I haven't actually seen that yet!  However, we're making it a week's vaca and tour around San Antonio and after the eclipse head over to Austin.   Gallatin ended up being great!    World class experience.

Eagle Pass will be great to watch the eclipse but not sure if there's anything else to do?  Either way, rooms mainly booked.  So we'll get up early and head out.  What a great week it will be!

It's probably better to do it the way you are, you're going to have a much better chance of having clear skies. I'm going to look into and maybe try that way.

I'm headed to Bermuda the following week so I can't make a full-fledged trip out of it. It's going to be a last minute decision of anywhere between Houlton, me and Indianapolis, depending on potential cloud cover. Good news is I have lodging covered at both extremes if need be.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was going to stay at Stowe but there's no vacancies but there was a place in Burlington that had an Eclipse package, two nights, some meals included and a bus takes you to the best place to get the full effect, I tried them months ago and they were sold out but I put myself on a waiting list in case some people drop out. Don't like my chances.

On 12/26/2023 at 2:04 AM, weathafella said:

We booked a place in San Antonio and plan to drive to as near Eagle Pass as possible for the eclipse.  I'm not risking the frequent cloudiness in April in the northeast.

This is smart, the chances are under 50% that this will be visible in the northeast unless we have some kind of early April heatwave or big arctic shot.

1 hour ago, mcwx said:

between the red lines will be total, the closer to the blue line totality will last longer. 

If you go here https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8 you can choose different spots to see the duration of totality

the center line gives more dramatic effects, near the edges you will still get totality but not as dramatic.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Jackman Maine may have a pile of folks, too, with nowhere near the facilities or viewing sites to accommodate them all.  Depending on wx (if it's overcast, maybe; serious snow - forget it), we may try the parking lots at Saddleback - farther from the center of totality but better chance for a parking space and for viewing.  Nearby Quill Hill has a better view but limited space.

6 hours ago, mreaves said:

Probably just going to go out onto my porch.

image.jpeg.d8dde4453c2f26649deeef3fec976bdf.jpeg

You could stay at your house but totality will be in and out very fast.  By the time you say,  wow, wow,wow it will be lover. It will get dark but not the  nightime darkness to your north.  If it is a sunny day and if you can take (even a short drive north) as the difference of Barre and even Waterbury will be  huge!!  The good thing in your location is you can wait and see what the cloudiness looks like