Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024

wxsniss

18 minutes ago, mcglups said:

Good stuff! I was also planning on Colebrook but upon arrival earlier than expected I ventured up to Pittsburg and landed at Lake Francis (and in doing so I now know there are 3 Connecticut Lakes!)

I have a video, similar to my pictures, it isn't great, but will find a way to share it.

The traffic getting through Colebrook was expected (1 hour or so) but the Errol backup wasn't expected and took about as long. All things considered, this is beautiful countryside so it was perfectly fine.

Day 6 after the experience and still in awe

You tube it

On 4/14/2024 at 9:39 AM, Ginx snewx said:

You tube it

Not great quality (just using my phone), but you can briefly see the shadow bands at 35 seconds on the snow (wasn't looking for them). Please excuse the lack of composure...

• Like 4

From the Franklin County Sheriff's weekly report on the Daily Bulldog.  It took me 2:20 to cover the 22 miles from Flagstaff Lake to Kingfield.  Without their work, it might've been more than twice as long. 

04/08/2024 1200hrs, all available Sheriff’s Deputies as well as the Sheriff participated in traffic control in the Rangeley area and from Kingfield to Coburn Gore.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:36 PM, wxeyeNH said:

I don't think it ever gets dark as night in all directions  Of course you were near the southern limit of totality so just a few miles to your south that final "light switch" never went out.  I assume right at centerline it is the darkest as the distance is greater to the sunlight on  either side.  That light switch effect is amazing because it happens so fast.  Even that last .25% of sunlight is so strong that until the 2nd contact there is not much to see except that sliver through the glasses. Then bam, it all happens!. At my location it was a 98% partial and my friend who was up was not very impressed.  Too much hype for what, the light just got a bit dimmer but really nothing of note to see.  It was a bit difficult to tell locals that they had to make that 45 mile trip north.

well said... need to get to the center line as much as possible. the further in the shadow the better

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 3:16 PM, weathafella said:

Spain.  I think Iceland has a much higher cloud possibility.

heading to Greenland for 2026. Spain is low in the horizon

On 4/10/2024 at 5:40 PM, wxsniss said:

I imagine northern coast of Spain, where you might see the umbra shadow race over the ocean, would be pretty amazing... also close to sunset over the ocean which could be pretty wild.

Interestingly totality only lasts 1m50sec max.

Looks like path also goes over Ibiza, but not sure I'd have patience for that vibe while seeking natural beauty.

All again highlights just how special this NNE occurrence was.

2102436212_Pathof2026EclipseSpaincopy.jpg.1b7ff6bd9336a2577b1f5e8eed9f6e93.jpg

with eclipse near sundown, make sure your sight lines are excellent. i'd expect most people wanting to be on the coast so mountains don't have an impact