Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,529
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
    Joined

Total Solar Eclipse, April 8, 2024


wxsniss
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is what I wrote on social.  I completely get why Gene was harping on totality for the past couple weeks.  There was something about it that was a profound experience.  Natural, no control over it, we as humans are just microscopic dust in a large universe.  And collectively we just had our minds blown.

"Totality. I now know that I did not appreciate exactly what that meant. Sure, I knew it would get dark, but the experience was so much more profound than that. I now understand why people travel for this and why totality is different than even 99%.

This was an incredible day. The excitement, the anticipation and togetherness of humanity, knowing that a once-in-a-lifetime event was going to happen. Sharing that with fellow humans, on my favorite snow covered mountain with flawless weather. This will stay with me for life."

We tried to describe it as such in the snow report opening lines...

A momentous convergence of three cosmic titans, Earth and Sun split by the Moon. Today we were all on a cosmic odyssey in the path of totality and what a scene it was. 

434720677_10105366944716630_124934320931

435073866_10105366944781500_106186474345

435052590_10105366944771520_844153681371

436202342_10105366941503070_274275306469

 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, klw said:

Good.  How bad is Stowe?  I am in the office in Hyde Park wondering:

1.  How late do I stay?

2.  Do I do the usual 100 to 89 or do I go 12 to Montpelier then Barre and back roads home and avoid the highway all together?

I went down to Montpelier around 7:30 and it was still pretty crowded. The restaurants seemed pretty busy. When I was done with my walk I went up the hill and circled down to Rt. 2 to avoid the traffic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is what I wrote on social.  I completely get why Gene was harping on totality for the past couple weeks.  There was something about it that was a profound experience.  Natural, no control over it, we as humans are just microscopic dust in a large universe.  And collectively we just had our minds blown.

"Totality. I now know that I did not appreciate exactly what that meant. Sure, I knew it would get dark, but the experience was so much more profound than that. I now understand why people travel for this and why totality is different than even 99%.

This was an incredible day. The excitement, the anticipation and togetherness of humanity, knowing that a once-in-a-lifetime event was going to happen. Sharing that with fellow humans, on my favorite snow covered mountain with flawless weather. This will stay with me for life."

We tried to describe it as such in the snow report opening lines...

A momentous convergence of three cosmic titans, Earth and Sun split by the Moon. Today we were all on a cosmic odyssey in the path of totality and what a scene it was. 

434720677_10105366944716630_124934320931

435073866_10105366944781500_106186474345

435052590_10105366944771520_844153681371

436202342_10105366941503070_274275306469

 

 

So amazing! I am so glad you got to experience this! This was my second go at it and yes once is enough to get you hooked! Totality is an entirely different world. My Arkansas plan paid off beautifully! I got this today:
 

Panelname.jpg

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I went down to Montpelier around 7:30 and it was still pretty crowded. The restaurants seemed pretty busy. When I was done with my walk I went up the hill and circled down to Rt. 2 to avoid the traffic. 

I ended up going 12 to Montpelier.  Traffic was backed up in town a bit so I cut through some back streets and hopped across 302 at Granite Street, went up and over the hill then came back down to 302 until 14 all the way home.  It ended up added 3 miles to my normal commute but was 2 hours 38 minutes instead of the usual 1:31.  89 was still crawling down by Sharon as I went under it.  I assume I save time by  never trying to get on.  Left at 7:00pm too

I assume traffic in SNE was much lighter than usual today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for the event, this was my first totality or at least that I remember.  The view was fantastic where I was.  Honestly though it was a bit meh and I say that from the perspective of someone with a lifetime interest in Astronomy.  I think the hype of event was so overwhelming that it would have been hard to match.  Sort of similar to a great piece of advice about movies.  "Don't go in expecting Shindler's List, go in expecting American Pie:Band Camp and you won't be disappointed."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, klw said:

As for the event, this was my first totality or at least that I remember.  The view was fantastic where I was.  Honestly though it was a bit meh and I say that from the perspective of someone with a lifetime interest in Astronomy.  I think the hype of event was so overwhelming that it would have been hard to match.  Sort of similar to a great piece of advice about movies.  "Don't go in expecting Shindler's List, go in expecting American Pie:Band Camp and you won't be disappointed."

I think for me it was that our relationship with the sun changed for a brief time. From the day we are born to when we die, the sun rises and stays there until it sets.  It’s baked into our evolution and minds.

This disrupted that cycle, with a shadow being cast during the peak heating time of day. Something about it got me.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow.  That was amazing.  Made it to Prouty beach and rode around on my bike.  Thousands of people everywhere.

Epic drive back from Newport, 7 hours, mostly on Rt. 5, also on some dirt roads way up to avoid the I91 parkinglot.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incredible day!   Newport was perfect for the show.  Unobstructed view including just spectacular beads as the sun re-emerged.  I echo Ryan’s observation-this one was better than 2017 in my view.

It took 90 minutes to get out of Newport-then 9.5 hours thanks in part to something crazy on 93 S near Franconia.   Still worth the sacrifice.  I can’t imagine I’ll be here for 2044 but there’s one in Spain 2026 and Australia 2028 I’ve got my eye on.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, WhiteLawns said:

Gear used? These came out great!

Canon Rebel 8Ti, a Sigma C 150-600 zoom, and a completely inadequite tripod :)

 

ISO 400, F6.3, Fstop varied between 1/125 and 1/4000

 

setup.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went to the shore of Mooselookmeguntic Lake and got cooked .. haha!   It was a great time obviously with a smaller crowd than the usual places.  One shot of the diamond ring and the other a wide angle which I haven't edited yet.   Might add the various phases of the eclipse to it.  Epic traffic on the way home - took me about 4.5 hours for a normally 2.5 hour drive

20240408 - Eclipse-1  AmWx.jpg

20240408 - Eclipse-3 AmWx.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have fancy camera pics like some here but it was incredible. Went up to my cousin’s in south Burlington to see it. Got this cell phone pic on Megan’s phone (my phone camera is worse than hers)

Problem with the cell phone pics is that even a sliver of light around the edges gets dispersed out on the picture to make it look a lot brighter and thicker than it is. 

IMG_2576.jpeg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t have fancy camera pics like some here but it was incredible. Went up to my cousin’s in south Burlington to see it. Got this cell phone pic on Megan’s phone (my phone camera is worse than hers)

Problem with the cell phone pics is that even a sliver of light around the edges gets dispersed out on the picture to make it look a lot brighter and thicker than it is. 

IMG_2576.jpeg

Yeah, some of those pro-looking shots are awesome, but even the low budget looking pics are pretty wild too.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Love that lower left flare has been visible in photos no matter where they’ve been taken in totality.

We saw that too while it was happening and were wondering what it was. So cool. 
 

Took me 3 hours to get back from First Connecticut Lake but well worth it

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...