Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

He used one run of one model to say “no evidence of cold”. Come on that’s clown stuff. 

But we’re hunting snow not cold. Frankly I’m not sure how cold it can actually get anymore. Since the last super Nino in 2016 we’ve had several direct cross polar arctic shots and frankly none of them was nearly as impressive or long lived as competence shots prior to 2016.  Warm muted then routs the cold pretty fast recently.  But it can get just cold enough to snow still and that’s what I’m hunting. I’ve given up on wall to wall cold. This isn’t even really the right seasonal setup for that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

He used one run of one model to say “no evidence of cold”. Come on that’s clown stuff. 

But we’re hunting snow not cold. Frankly I’m not sure how cold it can actually get anymore. Since the last super Nino in 2016 we’ve had several direct cross polar arctic shots and frankly none of them was nearly as impressive or long lived as competence shots prior to 2016.  Warm muted then routs the cold pretty fast recently.  But it can get just cold enough to snow still and that’s what I’m hunting. I’ve given up on wall to wall cold. This isn’t even really the right seasonal setup for that. 

Yep. As long as we are near normal we are in the ball game as long as everything else is in place. We have had a few several below average months this year already which is by itself pretty shocking

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Since the last super Nino in 2016 we’ve had several direct cross polar arctic shots and frankly none of them was nearly as impressive or long lived as competence shots prior to 2016.

I think the shot just after Christmas 2017 into January 2018 was very impressive.  RDU spent almost 240 straight hours below freezing.  There was ice on the edge of the sounds in the outer banks.

• Like 3

I think the shot just after Christmas 2017 into January 2018 was very impressive.  RDU spent almost 240 straight hours below freezing.  There was ice on the edge of the sounds in the outer banks.

January 2020 was our last good winter month I think
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cbmclean said:

Yeah the week after Christmas in 2017 was impressive cold: multiple subfreezing highs and lows in the single digits IMBY, which ended with a WSW early January. The only other time I’ve seen sustained cold like that here was February 2015.  

Yeah the week after Christmas in 2017 was impressive cold: multiple subfreezing highs and lows in the single digits IMBY, which ended with a WSW early January. The only other time I’ve seen sustained cold like that here was February 2015.  

Pretty sure that’s the last time the Susquehanna froze all the way across.
  • Like 1

I mean eventually but the possible "window" for a storm is like 14 days away ... you should know better

My point exactly. The window for a biggie doesn’t open for another 10+ days. Seeing fantasy land OP runs show digital blue certainly doesn’t “mean everything”. In fact, it kinda means nothing. Models are going to show a wide envelope of outcomes at this range. OP GFS showed a MECS last night, and lost it today. It’ll probably show back up tomorrow at 6z. It’s nothing more than noise at this range. No need to freak out over long range OP runs.

One thing is for sure… we have a ton of agreement on models regarding the longwave pattern shift coming in a little less than 2 weeks, and it looks like it could be the best 5H pattern we’ve had in quite some time.

Some folks need to chilllll. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Like 1

I just took a look at the 0z GEFS members and there appears to be 2 discrete threat windows- Jan 1-2 and Jan 4-6. Multiple members depict snow for the MA for one or both of those periods. A few are hits for the southern MA/SE around the 5th. A pretty decent signal overall for one or more events Jan 1-6, but the timing is a bit scattershot at this range. The GEPS mean looks a bit more bullish for frozen during this period, EPS a bit less. The advertised h5 pattern for around the 5th in particular looks quite favorable for a MA winter storm.

1704412800-oTzZSoKYu0c.png

• Like 10